PDA

View Full Version : Name recognition and liability issues

Mojo1842
07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies too), your thoughts please-
Some time back our group was approached to take part in an event (cowboy and indian-thrill ride type, on a train) on the same weekend as and in direct competition to a long standing LH (20+ years) event sponsored by the county historical society. Persistant requests, all of which were politely turned down; were made for our involvement. When the local newspaper came out last Thursday there was an article about the train robbery event in it naming us as being involved, with no mention of the name of the group which is putting this on.
The paper was contacted regarding this article and our member was told that all of the information was submitted by the railroad and the organizing group. My questions are these: 1.) Why name a group in print as being involved in your event that have turned down several invitations? Name recognition? 2.) Black powder, on a train in close proximity to civilians sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Although we're not involved, how does our name being dragged into this weigh on potential liability issues? and 3.) Has anyone else had something of this sort happen to them?

Thanks,

YOS,
Scott

2nd_SC_dave
07-28-2007, 10:54 PM
The group I am with has not had this type of thing happen as far as I know of but I have heard from some groups that we have worked with that this same type of thing happened to them or groups they have worked with. I do agree with your statement that black powder on a train in close proximity to civilians is a recipe for disaster and I feel that any reenactment should not have such a thing because some one will get hurt and we all know what will happen from there if a civilian would get hurt (time for lawyers, if you know what I am getting at with that statement)

bill watson
07-29-2007, 05:42 AM
First, has the newspaper done a follow-up noting your group is not involved? If not please send me a private message.

Second, there's two possibilities. Either the group providing information to the newspaper is muddled about facts, or the group providing information is desperate to have your good name attached to their venture. You are probably the best judge of which it is.

Third, no, you're not liable for anything if you're not at the event. But it might save time and trouble if that information is in the newspaper that said you would be.

Memphis
07-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Somebody probably copied a press release or roster from a previous year. This happens all the time in the real world, and now in the reenacting world.

Mojo1842
07-29-2007, 02:36 PM
First, has the newspaper done a follow-up noting your group is not involved? If not please send me a private message.

Second, there's two possibilities. Either the group providing information to the newspaper is muddled about facts, or the group providing information is desperate to have your good name attached to their venture. You are probably the best judge of which it is.

Third, no, you're not liable for anything if you're not at the event. But it might save time and trouble if that information is in the newspaper that said you would be.

The newspaper has been contacted with the correct information, and I'm sure that the correction will be made; but since it's a weekly paper we won't know until Thursday for sure.

I'd thought about the crossed wires coming from a misread press release but this is the first year for their event and the newspaper said that all of the information came directly from the organizing group. I'd like to believe that people (and groups) are inherently honest, but you never know.

bob 125th nysvi
07-31-2007, 12:49 PM
may have been prepared earlier in anticipation of everybody's participation. It might have even been a earlier draft that was released.

If it bugs you that your group was named why don't you contact the people who issued the press release and ask them why your group was named.

Just one suggestion, contact EVERYBODY in your group and make sure none of them have committed to the event, FRIST. We have found our name associated with events not on our calendar because one member has volunteered to do the event (usually to help a friend or family member) and of course they tell everyone they are part of our group.

Don't assume that the other organization made a mistake just because your group management has made a decision. Some of your members could feel that "group" decisions are not binding on individual members depending on how things have been done in the past.

Poor Private
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
So true Mr. Sandusky,
Several times our unit has split up to attend different events due to freinds family reasons. So your comment strikes a chord.

Mojo1842
08-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Every year at our winter meeting we vote on which events we'll be doing that year and some are added that only several members will attend (which is done so our insurance covers anyone who decides to go). So we know from mid January on what dates we can go off on our own and run amock. Unless the event is cancelled our commitment to doing that event is pretty much binding. The competing event has been in the planning stages..about three months. I'm not sure how things work in your respective groups, but I'm pretty sure that blowing off a commitment to a long running and successful event where you have great opportunities to teach and interact with the public to do an event for the local railroad which has nothing to do with anything other than making money wouldn't exactly reek of having the best interests of the group at heart. Maybe I'm wrong; your mileage may vary.

Hardtimes
08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
One of the issues I had with a former group that some others and I were "purged" from was a statement by the founder of the group that if even only one person was attending an event it was put on the schedule on the web site. The rational being to be able to promote the group and it's history to others at the event.
It didnít matter if they were the worst farb fests or good events that only a couple we're interested in; they were put on the schedule without a vote of any kind.
Glad I'm not in that group anymore.
Bill O'Dea