PDA

View Full Version : Buffington Island

Forquer
07-19-2007, 05:37 PM
As an Ohioan, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that today marks the 146th anniversary of the Battle of Buffington Island/Buffington's Ford/Portland, at Portland, OH.

As has been the case for years, most Ohioans are uninformed or just don't care, and the field remains in danger of being lost to gravel mining by the Shelly Company of Thornville, Ohio. Their slogan is: "If it is not farmed, then it must be mined."

YOS,

vamick
07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I was on a couple of 'Morgan;s Raids' up yer way, the last ending at Buffington...were these events able to raise much for preservation? I never heard for sure...understood then that the gravel folks were about to dig the place up entirely..have they been held off at all??..what about burial issues on that land?? BTW..keeping those shiney Statehouse guns busy?:p they're sure sweet, I know I heard a coupla 12 pndrs overhead a time er too:o

Forquer
07-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Gary -

I haven't been at either of the Morgan's Raid events, so I can't address where monies for preservation (if any) went.

The last I heard, after the gravel company was granted their permits from DNR and the Corps of Engineers, they also applied to the county to vacate a couple of township roads which would give them private access back to their proposed loading/docking site. The county fathers finaly exhibtted some common sense and denied the application. This seemed to confuzzle Shelly and they haven't done any more digging that I'm aware of. It's only a matter of time, though, because their operation down at Letart Falls is about played out and they're not going to let this land go to waste, let alone do the right thing and leave it undisturbed for posterity.

As for the burial issues, according to state funerary law, once a grave has been "lost" for 125 years or more, the remains are considered to have "reverted back to the earth." Regardless, the way gravel is mined, someone working a yuke wouldn't know he'd uncovered anything until it was way after too late.

Think the only Statehouse guns that went to Morgan's raid were the 6 pounders that first year, since it was the state bicentennial. We're taking the guns out this weekend, BTW.

YOS,

Forquer
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
This seemed to confuzzle Shelly and they haven't done any more digging that I'm aware of. It's only a matter of time, though, because their operation down at Letart Falls is about played out and they're not going to let this land go to waste, let alone do the right thing and leave it undisturbed for posterity.

Sadly, I found out this weekend that I was mistaken. Some of us went to do a field walk at Buffington Island this weekend, only to note that a berm has been constructed and conveyors and washing equipment is on site in the area that is believed to have been near Morgan's headquarters. A large amount of sand is piled and the digging is on in earnest.

They say this is progress.

YOS,

uozumi
08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Is there anything that can be done? Is it too far along?