PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Musket:

MMurphy
07-16-2007, 08:03 AM
:mad: Dear All;

I am sad to report to one and all that during the day of Fri. 13th of July, between the hours of 10 and 4, my house was broken into. I discovered this during the evening when I arrived home from dinner on Friday night.The back door (steel), was kicked repeatedly. The door held. Unfortunately, the wooden doorframe did not, as it split and shattered from the wall, allowing the thug(s), into my home. A check of the house quickly revealed 2 items missing:

1: My Musket (The one that you see in my member portrait right here!)... It was the first thing that they grabbed since it was in the back laundry room directly across from the back door.

2: A "D" handle knife. A cheap little Chinese job that was a gift from a friend of mine from the Texas Ren Faire. It looks like a small cutlass.

The intruder(s), moved through the house very quickly, they completely ignored the digital cameras sitting on the table, the dvd player and didn't even go into the office where all of my computers, printers, and 2 swords were. Instead they went straight the to master bedroom and rifled through the upper shelves of the closet looking for more weapons.

The intruder(s), obviously did not know what it was that they had, as they left the cartridge box, cap box, and leathers, AND the case, (along with the bayonet), sitting in the floor next to the door. Once they figure out that it "ain't the type of weapon" that they can use, I figure it'll find it's way into a pawn shop in exchange for a quick 50 bucks.

The police already have a good idea who is behind this as a group of "individuals", (race, ages, etc will not be named), have recently moved into an apt complex about four blocks from where I live, and "suddenly" a quiet neighborhood is starting to have "problems". In fact one of the indviduals had already been arrested by the police for having stolen goods in his hand, and he spent 1 day in jail, and was released with a court date, (Like he will ever show).

To say that this has not only angered and saddened me is beyond words. I've had the musket for less than a year, and it was the same one that y'all saw me cleaning after each and every event that I attended.

I'm giving out the weapons information so that folks from the 33rd can be on the lookout since "weird things have happened".

MUSKET: Euroarms .58 cal Enfield (Three Band), with leather sling. Serial Number # 16999

IF you come across this weapon, PLEASE CALL ME IMMEDIATELY at 317.373.7372 as I have to report it to the police and I have the case #.

Thank you for reading this and wish me luck in replacing it as now I have to figure out my budget...(again)...

Yours In Service:

Michael T. Murphy
Pvt. Co. A 33rd Va.

goatgirl
07-16-2007, 08:23 AM
That is awful. I hope they find your stolen musket.

Tomp40
07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Michael, sorry to hear about that.. This proves that most criminals are idiots.. What the heck are they going to do with a musket?? Not too many drug dealers in the market for a 42" long arm.. Hopefully you dont find anything else missing as you recover from this. Good luck.

tom

flattop32355
07-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I remember as it were today walking in two "people" robbing my home back in 1981. Seeing the damage they did, and the sense of violation, was an experience. Fortunately, I was able to follow them until they were arrested and they served time.

My sympathies to you and yours.

NoahBriggs
07-16-2007, 08:58 AM
I feel your pain. Mine was stolen at A135 in 1997. I still have the "alert" broadside which was printed on a portable press and passed around the camps.

Took a long while to save up for another musket.

toptimlrd
07-16-2007, 10:14 AM
I know that feeling. I came home a couple of years ago to find my door kicked in. Fortunately I have two front doors, one leads onto a glass enclosed porch and then the main door. They got through the first door but did not get through the second (althought they tried). Had to replace both doors, a handful of tools that were out there were stolen but the worst was they stole quite a bit of my son's radio controlled car equipment and some gaming stuff he had dropped up there in duffel bags. The funny thing was they took the FM transmitter since it looked nicer than the AM one (which it was, it was about a $500 transmitter) but took a nitro powerd monster truck that worked on the AM band (about another $500). The worst part of the whole story is the police could have caught someone with the stolen RC truck. A local hobby shop had someone come in to buy the equipment to convert a RC truck from AM to FM and buy a new body for it. The truck in question was missing the custom body my son and I made (very identifiable) but it still had all of the other custom components on the suspension we had installed and the transmitter was the exact same model we had stolen.........what are the odds of that? Anyway, we called the police and instead of heading over to the suspects apartment, they called him and asked him to bring it in! Yeah right, that stuff was gone before the phone was hung up.

I hope you have better luck than I did. My advice though is to hit all of the local pawn shops and gun stores and let them know about it. A .58 Enfield is something they don't see every day so it should jump at them.

sigman
07-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear about this break-in. Petty thievery is disgusting. Check your local gun or antique shops to see if anyone has brought the stolen items in to sell. Might give you a lead or two.

Andy Siganuk

tompritchett
07-16-2007, 10:30 AM
My advice though is to hit all of the local pawn shops and gun stores and let them know about it. A .58 Enfield is something they don't see every day so it should jump at them.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I would also suggest that you leave not only your contact information but also the contact information for whoever is working the case in the local police department; it might help insure better cooperation.

I suspect that this bunch of thieves are not the brightest minds in their block and will never suspect just how unique your firearm would be to anyone that they would try to sell it to, and that may very well be the break that allows you to ultimately retreive your weapon.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Hallo!

I am sorry for your loss.
I have been robbed twice to the tune of many thousands of dollars- but the feeling of violation, invasion, trespass- and the nights of sleeping poorly and hearing every noise outside can be hard to overcome even with time.

I suspect they took the "Enfield" thinking it was a high-priced original and worth Big Bucks.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-16-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm so sorry. I've had small things stolen from me, but never anything like that. How odd... It all happened on Friday the 13th...

TimKindred
07-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Comrade,

About 20 years ago, my unit had a stack of rifles stolen, along with some accoutrements hanging on them early in the morining. The sentry had ducked out of sight to relieve himself, and the thieves ran through, grabbed the stack, and were gone before we could give chase in the dark. Locals. We followed their tracks to where a vehicle was parked, but beyond the police report, we never recovered any of it.

I've also had my house broken into. Cash, wedding rings, other heirlooms gone. Everything that was easily pawned or sold off in small batches. We found a couple rings, but that was it.

I feel your pain. Go after them, if you find them, with everything you can.

Respects,

tompritchett
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
I suspect they took the "Enfield" thinking it was a high-priced original and worth Big Bucks.

Somehow, I don't think these thieves were that smart, else they would have grabbed the accouterments also. I suspect that they saw what they assumed was a firearm (using the legal definition) and just grabbed it knowing that there is always a market for black-market firearms.

Gary
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
If the police have a suspect, they should get a search warrant and raid the suspect's home. Shoe prints must have been left behind (and perhaps fingerprints). Good luck in recovering your musket.

rick35ovi
07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I too had musket stolen, its been 20 years and i still remember the serial #608 It was a navy arms 1863 springfield that me and me father built from a kit. Now my father is gone but at least i still have the memories of the fun we had building it! If anyone sees this one i'd love to know if it's still out there being put to good use. I would buy it back in a heartbeat just to have it!!

Jim Mayo
07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Friend of mine had his house broken into and some originals were stolen. They only took the ones with no bayonets attached. The guns on the wall with bayonets attached posed too much of a size problem. We figured they could not figure how to get the bayonets off. So...always keep your bayonet on and they can't get it out the door.

Poor Private
07-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Now thats it's been several days, whats the story on the stolen rifle/musket? What do the local police have to say? Has the contact with the local gun shops and pawn shops been fruitful? Please keep us updated as we may be in this position someday and your experience could prove helpful.

MMurphy
08-06-2007, 06:53 AM
I've posted an update on the stolen musket...Thanks for everyones support...

Michael T. Murphy
PVT. Co. A 33rd Va.

tompritchett
08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Might I ask where?

Jeffrey Cohen
08-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Best reply I've seen in a long time.

goatgirl
08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Might I ask where?

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5201

tompritchett
08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I thought he was referring to a newer update. My bad. :oops:

ChrisOwens
08-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about that. But, you never know what might happen. A good friend of mine had two muskets and 3 revolvers stolen from his home several years back. Got everything back except one musket(probably laying in a field somewhere) The kid broke in to steal a nintendo or something saw the weapons and took those instead. Happened to be one of his sons friends. Hope you can get it back.