PDA

View Full Version : Reenactor Singles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Starbuck
04-12-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is there a site or any place here for reenactors who are single to meet, and chat? Would anybody else like to see a site like that?

madisontigers
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Good Luck mate. Wouldn't be a bad idea. As you well know many reenactors exit the hobby because their significant other persuades them to do so. I am in a good relationship with a local gal, and luckily she is in to Medieval stuff, so she is very tolerant to my Civil War needs. The main problem finding someone is distance. Good luck though.

David Long

8thILCavalry
05-16-2006, 12:25 AM
It sure would be a great thing to have. It seems to me finding that gal that does reenacting usually is married and a grandmother, or there still in elementery school. Its hard to find that one that is just plain single and looking. Heck any Gal looking here is me, 33/M/ILCAV and looking. :)

mossrose04
05-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't give up hope, guys. I met my husband in reenacting, and we had a Civil War wedding and went to battlefields for our honeymoon. That was 17 years ago, and we are still happily married and in love with Civil War. Keep looking!

Karen Rae Mehaffey

CandaceRose
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
The last three guys I've dated have all been reenactors and DUDS! ICK

sidesaddlelady1866
05-16-2006, 05:24 PM
If you find a site like that please let the rest of us know. I'm 55 and widowed and have attended Civil War events here in the Midwest both as mounted cavalry and as a civilian sidesaddle rider for 10 years now but have never seen a singles site devoted specifically to reenactors. Sounds like a good idea to me. Sincerely, Sidesaddle Lady

sbl
05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Dear CandaceRose,

Reenactors are still higher up than bass fishermen.

CandaceRose
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Never dated a bass fisherman so I can't rightly say.... Do you know any nice ones I could hook up with (hehe) and find out for myself?

Perhaps "DUDS" was a little harsh. Those poor fellows couldn't help their insatiable needs for cavalry equipment, things that go boom and endless conversations about the Battle of Wherewasthatatagain. Perhaps I should try to be a galtroop?? At least that is what lured two out of the three away. Something fishy going on with guys who are attracted to girls who are pretending to be guys...LOL

VaTrooper
05-18-2006, 12:29 AM
"Those poor fellows couldn't help their insatiable needs for cavalry equipment, things that go boom and endless conversations about the Battle of Wherewasthatatagain. Perhaps I should try to be a galtroop?? At least that is what lured two out of the three away. Something fishy going on with guys who are attracted to girls who are pretending to be guys...LOL"

Well being in the cavalry myself I'll tell you that my horse is #1 and that includes the equipment that I ride with. And as far as women during events..... I'd much rather deal with a petticoat than a pair of spurs.

CandaceRose
05-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Mr. S-
Yes, it became pretty clear after ex bought the horse that it would become #1. The spurs I could deal with, the petticoat chasing, I could not.

VaTrooper
05-18-2006, 11:04 AM
If he bought a horse and still had to chase petticoats then your better off with out em. When people see me riding then generally come to me, to see the horse of course.

tenfed1861
05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I like the idea.It could give us single people a chance to meet fellow reenactors.At least we would have something to talk about.
I'm so lonely,it's sad.I cry myself asleep each night.Ladies,I am a romantic,;),and 19.Please e-mail me if you're interested.(Never too early to start,[sorry if I broke a rule]).
Cullen Smith
the "Desperatly Lonely Hearted" Mess

VaTrooper
05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Being 19 also I'll tell you it's slim pickens to see someone my age that takes part in the events. Ive had better luck scoping out the spectators.

Euphemia
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Ive had better luck scoping out the spectators.

You never know, one of them 'tators could also be a reenactor. I know quiet a few people who reenact, but also go to some events sometimes just to spectate.

Regards,
Euphemia Goolsby

VaTrooper
05-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I hit 30+ events a year and Id like to see some good lookin gal make use of that high dollar tent that is collecting dust in my horse trailer. Spectator or participent, doesnt matter. But they arent gonna put up with me unless they have the "bug" too.

sidesaddlelady1866
05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Whether its a military or civilian impression one is doing it seems to me the horse has to come first and that includes their tack and the truck and trailer you haul with. McClellans and sidesaddles don't come cheap and neither does any of the other gear but when you come right down to it in the end it's essentially a safety issue and that is something no one can afford to overlook. Maybe only people who are committed to the hobby would understand, but I'll pick my horses over a guy who resents them any day. Sincerely, Sidesaddle Lady PS Its been my experience spurs and petticoats generally don't mix. I tried wearing a petticoat under my sidesaddle habit at one event and the spur continually kept getting caught in the lace. Just an observation.

BobSzabo
05-19-2006, 04:20 PM
My friend and fellow wet plate photographer John Coffer once told me after a failed relationship. "You should just get a horse."

I never did though, the problem is women can leave but the horse may die if I neglect it.

Like Clint said, "A mans got to know his limitations." Its taken me a long time to learn my limitations but I think I may finally have it.

Frenchie
05-19-2006, 11:02 PM
I once told an old friend who had been married and divorced three times that the next time he felt like getting married, he ought to save himself a lot of trouble by finding some woman he doesn't like and buying her a house. :rolleyes:

swalmie
05-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Hey there. I'm new to the site and am in love with the history of the civil war. I'm having a tough time finding guys in my world here that are into this part of history. Would love to meet someone who isn't a freak about the civil war but just loves to go to reenactments and talk history.
:p

amity
05-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Would love to meet someone who isn't a freak about the civil war but just loves to go to reenactments and talk history.
:p

Can you explain the difference?

Actually I wouldn't mind joining such a group myself.

tenfed1861
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Mr. Sezbo,maybe you should start up a singles section of the forum.I think so many of us are desperate enough to do anything.I think it would create a lot of couples in the reenacting community.The weddings would be rather in-expensive.
Cullen Smith

VaTrooper
05-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I think it would be interesting to see too.

sidesaddlelady1866
05-23-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree - I think a singles section would be a good idea. As tenfed1861 pointed out it would help create more couples in the reenacting community and who knows - maybe more guys might go to the dances. Sincerely, Sidesaddlelady PS Tenfed1861 is right - compared to the average cost of a wedding today ($20,000+) weddings at Civil War events are pretty economical. I'm just hoping my daughter will decide to elope.

VaTrooper
05-23-2006, 05:36 PM
No men at the dances? You must be going to the wrong events. We seem to have more me show up to dance in the 4th Va than we do at formation.

frankstevanus
05-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Wildman, I don't know about needing singles. But if you do I have one I am ready to get rid of. All you have to do is buy her a house and she is all yours.
Man I am glad I am single!

VaTrooper
05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Are you trying to give away a daughter or something?

Gary
05-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Remember, Stag Dances are OK since the soldiers did it in camp. Me, I'd go AWOL from camp and find my way to town. So long as I bring a canteen with booze back to my buddy on picket, I'll do just fine.:rolleyes:

formergenwife
05-26-2006, 07:38 PM
I had a nice CW wedding; champagne and a cake for a reception at an old mansion on the event grounds. But I had a nice CW divorce, too. I got the A-frame; he got the wall tent. I got my pick-up, and he got the horse trailer with no way to pull it. I kept all the friends and my membership in the unit, and he got the cheap floozy CW photographer who threw herself at him at an event (and is now Wife #3)...I never reenacted till I met him, but now I will keep doing it, as a refugee instead of a cavalry general's wife.... I know several other women with the bad reps of "camp followers"... it's a shame but you find that in any hobby, I guess! Don't give up, young single soldiers - i see many more young single girls doing this hobby - ya gotta go to those dances!

CandaceRose
05-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I kept all the friends and my membership in the unit, and he got the cheap floozy CW photographer who threw herself at him at an event (and is now Wife #3)...

You made me spit out my Dr. Pepper while reading this...LOL Come play with us girls sometime and we'll commiserate!!

Silver Spring Guards
06-09-2006, 01:53 AM
How about a Bass Fisherman / Re-enactor Ms Candace

CandaceRose
06-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Mr. Cone-
I have only four requirements (it used to be only three but upon advice of friends, it was best to add #4) for respective beaus:

1) Breathe unassisted
2) Gainfully employed
3) Don't live with mama
4) Moderate adherence to societal norms (no cheating, lying, not quite divorced and don't know when they will be, etc.)

Because it has seemed rather difficult to find a gent with all these requirements I have found it is better to go for long walks by the river, read and forget about purposely making myself miserable. ;->

VaTrooper
06-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Breathe unassisted? Dang, I keep an O2 tank in my saddlebags.

frankstevanus
06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Is it an authentic O2 tank, Wildman?

Breathe unassisted? Dang, I keep an O2 tank in my saddlebags.

Silver Spring Guards
06-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Would that be the 1854 - gord model or the high tech 1858 - Tin model

: )

VaTrooper
06-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Theres a tin model? I never saw that in the picture book.

LadyTopaz
06-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Sister Candace
You forgot one. The suitor must pass inspection of your friends.

VaTrooper
06-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Sister Candace
You forgot one. The suitor must pass inspection of your friends.

Aww now thats just too much!

Silver Spring Guards
06-10-2006, 06:38 PM
No wonder theres so many singles out there.. We have to meet the standards of someones friends as well..

Steven

Gwen In LA
06-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Hmm. Maybe I should consider an impression of a Match Maker. Now that is something I would like to research!

Gwen in L.A.

Gwen Betz

CandaceRose
06-10-2006, 07:59 PM
#5 Must pass strict inspection of friends. Especially when beau attempts to make a pass at one of the friends and gets backhanded into kingdom come...LOL Why, oh why, didn't I listen to them in the first place????

Miss Gwen-
Actually, Mrs. Lawson seems to have a small side venture as a matchmaker. She has had quite a few successful matches and, a couple of marriages. However, I am sad to report that I was one of her failures. :-( Entirely not her fault, though, and she is to be highly recommended.

VaTrooper
06-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Ms. Rose,
Sounds like you need to head south to find a man.

CandaceRose
06-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Where...to Mexico???? These so-called Southern "gentlemen" were from the South!!! And no, they weren't Yankee transplants either...LOL

Actually, I had the bad luck to date two men who had been recently divorced after being married for a multiple of years (not to each other, mind you.) So at one time they were decent, family men. Unfortunately, they now are wanting to revert to their teenage years and chase petticoats much younger than them in order to assure themselves that they still have "it." It's not until they get through this mid-life crisis that they settle down and accept reality. So, these guys were not "bad" people, just very, very confused about where they are going in life's journey.

So, maybe I should get a horse and learn to ride sidesaddle! What do you think?

VaTrooper
06-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Hmmmm, were they from the south west? Bushwacker blood?

And I always enjoy seeing someone ride side-saddle. Which isnt often.

CandaceRose
06-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Nope, the deep South- Georgia & Alabama. Oh well...

Joni House rode sidesaddle last weekend at Perryville and was kind enough to give other ladies a chance to try it out. I had to leave the event early due to a committment at home and am waning with regret at missing the opportunity. Maybe next time...

VaTrooper
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
A sad day for the south

cookiemom
06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Mr. Smith and Mr. Shifflett,

I have to respond to your earlier posts -- I've postponed it, but I just can't help it. Please accept my apologies in advance.

DISCLAIMER: I'm old enough to be your mother. My kid just finished 4th grade, and I'm old enough to be HER grandmother. We've only been to events as spectators, but have been impressed by the nice-ness of the reenactors we've met, and hope to get more involved someday. I remember being 19 myself [back in the mists of prehistory :) ] and wish someone had told me then what I will pass on to you now. At the risk of sounding like your mother... :)

At 19, you have a world of opportunities available. Take the time to develop all your interests and talents. We know you like history -- what else do you do? Are you a student, or working, or a volunteer somewhere? Are you athletic, artistic, musical, good with people old and young alike, kind to animals, church-going, etc. You have to get out there and DO things (not just stay home and interact with your keyboard.) If you can have a decent conversation about any one of many different topics, you have a better chance of "hitting it off" with someone you just met -- then you can find more that you have in common. You might meet someone who doesn't know about reenacting, but could become interested. [My first husband was very knowledgeable in military history, especially Civil War, and I knew nothing about it. But I liked going places that were "green" and quiet, so we visited nearly every battlefield in the mid-Atlantic states, and I learned some history along the way. He's long gone (for other reasons), but my interest in history and "green spaces" remains.]

Get to know yourself very well. What kind of person are you, and who do you really want to be? Become the best YOU that you can be. Never try to be something you're not, or what somebody else wants you to be.

Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, and spending your energy looking for "Miss Right," focus more on becoming the man you want to be, and Miss Right will find you. She's already looking.

Don't ever settle for less. Having the wrong "somebody" is worse than having "nobody." (Other posters here will back me up on this.) Single, 19, and lonely is different from married, 29 (or 39, or ...) and lonely, but the tears are the same.

My two-cents' worth...

With best wishes,
Carole

frankstevanus
06-13-2006, 07:32 PM
God Bless you Carol:
William Shiflett is a good young man with a heart of gold. He has demonstrated a real and genuine interest in authentic campaigning. And he has shown true friendship to me as I develop in this hobby as well. Though young enough to be my son, he seems to have remarkable maturity for his age.
I look forward to riding with him and the other Little Fork Rangers up at Jerusalem Mills on June 24th and 25th. I live in Baltimore, and Jerusalem Mills is a wonderful place to ride a horse and visit. They have a quality reenactment and living history event and if time allows it would be great if you could join us. Drop me (or Chuck a Luck-the reenactor coordinator and a really great guy too-who is also a member of this board as well) and I would be glad to tell you more and invite you to the event. It promises to be a really neat time.
Have a graet day, Carol, and keep up encouragin these 'young-uns'.
Good Stuff.
Frank Stevanus

Mr. Smith and Mr. Shifflett,

I have to respond to your earlier posts -- I've postponed it, but I just can't help it. Please accept my apologies in advance.

DISCLAIMER: I'm old enough to be your mother. My kid just finished 4th grade, and I'm old enough to be HER grandmother. We've only been to events as spectators, but have been impressed by the nice-ness of the reenactors we've met, and hope to get more involved someday. I remember being 19 myself [back in the mists of prehistory :) ] and wish someone had told me then what I will pass on to you now. At the risk of sounding like your mother... :)

At 19, you have a world of opportunities available. Take the time to develop all your interests and talents. We know you like history -- what else do you do? Are you a student, or working, or a volunteer somewhere? Are you athletic, artistic, musical, good with people old and young alike, kind to animals, church-going, etc. You have to get out there and DO things (not just stay home and interact with your keyboard.) If you can have a decent conversation about any one of many different topics, you have a better chance of "hitting it off" with someone you just met -- then you can find more that you have in common. You might meet someone who doesn't know about reenacting, but could become interested. [My first husband was very knowledgeable in military history, especially Civil War, and I knew nothing about it. But I liked going places that were "green" and quiet, so we visited nearly every battlefield in the mid-Atlantic states, and I learned some history along the way. He's long gone (for other reasons), but my interest in history and "green spaces" remains.]

Get to know yourself very well. What kind of person are you, and who do you really want to be? Become the best YOU that you can be. Never try to be something you're not, or what somebody else wants you to be.

Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, and spending your energy looking for "Miss Right," focus more on becoming the man you want to be, and Miss Right will find you. She's already looking.

Don't ever settle for less. Having the wrong "somebody" is worse than having "nobody." (Other posters here will back me up on this.) Single, 19, and lonely is different from married, 29 (or 39, or ...) and lonely, but the tears are the same.

My two-cents' worth...

With best wishes,
Carole

VaTrooper
06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow, this thread went from being funny to making me blush.

cookiemom
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
My apologies, Mr. Shifflett. No embarrassment intended.

But, Mr. Stevanus, the young man has the grace to blush and the courage to admit it? Perhaps I should ask my 18- and 20-year old nieces if either one of them has any interest in horses... :)

We would certainly like to have more information about the event at Jerusalem Mills. While there's no guarantee that we'll get there, as things are a bit unsettled here right now, it's always nice to have "a plan" for something to look forward to. Thanks for the offer.

Carole

VaTrooper
06-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Carole,
Your reply slipped by me....... Id be more than happy to get you directions if you need them and will extend an invitation to you and yours on the behalf of myself and the Little Fork Rangers. Its going to be a relaxing weekend with a small battle for the spectators Saturday and Sunday.

celtfiddler
06-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I had a nice CW wedding; champagne and a cake for a reception at an old mansion on the event grounds. But I had a nice CW divorce, too. I got the A-frame; he got the wall tent. I got my pick-up, and he got the horse trailer with no way to pull it. I kept all the friends and my membership in the unit, and he got the cheap floozy CW photographer who threw herself at him at an event (and is now Wife #3)...I never reenacted till I met him, but now I will keep doing it, as a refugee instead of a cavalry general's wife.... I know several other women with the bad reps of "camp followers"... it's a shame but you find that in any hobby, I guess! Don't give up, young single soldiers - i see many more young single girls doing this hobby - ya gotta go to those dances!

This story sounds familiar to me. If you're who I think you are, I wish I was back in the midwest--I'd introduce you to a friend of my husband's who retired from the Navy last year. He's 40ish, with twin sons who are nearly graduates of high school. Both he and his boys enjoy reenacting. His wife decided she didn't want to be married anymore when he was forced to accept a one year assignment to the San Diego area.

BTW--you'll probably end up getting a further laugh. Odds are if he pulled this garbage with you, he'll do it with her. Good riddance to him.

cookiemom
06-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Carole,
Your reply slipped by me....... Id be more than happy to get you directions if you need them and will extend an invitation to you and yours on the behalf of myself and the Little Fork Rangers. Its going to be a relaxing weekend with a small battle for the spectators Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you, Mr. Shifflett. I was able to find the Jerusalem Mill website, which includes some information about Gilmor's Raid as well as a schedule of events for this coming weekend. We do hope to attend, and will look for the Little Fork Rangers.

I've recently learned that a (3x)great-grandfather of mine served as a Major and QM for Company D, 2nd Kentucky Cavalry. I think it will be interesting (even fun?) to see the cavalry in action, and to get an image of what it might have been like for him.

[I've always been terrified of horses, but I did ride an elephant once... must have inherited that gene from a different ancestor. :) ]

Carole

VaTrooper
06-22-2006, 09:48 PM
The 2nd CS or US? The 2nd CS was under Morgan and had many fun adventures. I hope to see you there.

cookiemom
06-22-2006, 11:23 PM
The document I found is from the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

VaTrooper
06-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Whats his name? I have a couple books on Morgan and could look through it. You can email me if you'd like:

mhslax35@aol.ocm

Vivandiere
06-27-2006, 07:39 PM
I have to agree with Karen. I met my husband in reenacting and we were on opposite sides. He was Captain of a Confederate Unit and I was with a Union unit. We also did a civil war wedding and the honeymoon was touring museums and civil war battlefields.

Lorrie Stearns Proal
Vivandiere

VaTrooper
06-27-2006, 08:16 PM
lol, smart man. Out breeding the yanks.

cw_girl83
06-28-2006, 07:41 PM
I would just like to say that my husband and I (just married on June 10th) met at a reenactment and have been together for two years so we are living proof that it can happen!! It is so nice to share the same hobby and interests as my husband and know that this hobby is what brought us together. So hold your heads up guys, you'll find her someday....maybe she's the one in the corner at the dance....ask her to dance, maybe you'll end up marrying her!!

Kristen Cooper

VaTrooper
06-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I stopped chasing women, hard anyway, after high school. Ive got too many other expensive hobbies. No offense ladies.

cookiemom
06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I stopped chasing women, hard anyway, after high school. Ive got too many other expensive hobbies. No offense ladies.

Playin' "hard-to-get" now, are ya? I'll have to warn my young lady friends not to take it personally :).

Ma

VaTrooper
06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Hard to get is the way to go. Desperation is a sign of weakness. And we dont do that in the cavalry.

cookiemom
06-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Hard to get is the way to go. Desperation is a sign of weakness. And we dont do that in the cavalry.

Good for you, young fella! As I said once before, when the time is right, "Miss Right" will be there.

Ma

VaTrooper
06-29-2006, 04:10 PM
lol, if she was there this weekend she must have drowned or melted.

cookiemom
06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
lol, if she was there this weekend she must have drowned or melted.

... or perhaps she just has the good sense to come in out of the rain, rain, rain, and, um, more rain :) .

Points in her favor under the circumstances, I'd say.
How wet did your camp get? You were not so very far from that creek.

Ma

VaTrooper
06-29-2006, 07:51 PM
We did good, just soaked. But the 1st Va had some stuff float away.

ciaobella
06-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi Nathan,
I'm new to this site as well as to reenacting. I am a single mom...I do the reenacting with my son who is 12. I think a site to connect with other singles is a great idea. Nothing wrong with "opening the doors" to new converstation and new people!

mntineer
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi Nathan,
I'm new to this site as well as to reenacting. I am a single mom...I do the reenacting with my son who is 12. I think a site to connect with other singles is a great idea. Nothing wrong with "opening the doors" to new converstation and new people!
I'm actually surprised that no one has thought of this before. But I have to admit this has been a uniquely entertaining thread, and I wish all the singles here good luck! :)

VaTrooper
06-30-2006, 01:29 PM
But I have to admit this has been a uniquely entertaining thread.

It sure has.

VaTrooper
07-04-2006, 09:38 PM
One of the better "looking for love and/or marriage" ads that I've seen in a period newspaper:

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA], September 10, 1861, p. 2, c. 4

Notice.

Beauty is a blossom that soon fades away,
But virtue once gotten will never decay;
If beauty and virtue in a woman could be,
If she wants a good husband, direct her to me.

John McHale,
Patriotic to the Southern Cause,
Resides in the Bloody Six Hundred.

(Vicki Betts posted this on the AC earlier and had allowed me to post it here)

cookiemom
07-06-2006, 08:17 PM
One of the better "looking for love and/or marriage" ads that I've seen in a period newspaper:

DAILY CONSTITUTIONALIST [AUGUSTA, GA], September 10, 1861, p. 2, c. 4

Notice.

Beauty is a blossom that soon fades away,
But virtue once gotten will never decay;
If beauty and virtue in a woman could be,
If she wants a good husband, direct her to me.

John McHale,
Patriotic to the Southern Cause,
Resides in the Bloody Six Hundred.

My dear brother William,

I wish to tell you how very much I enjoyed reading the poem you lately sent. As so much time has passed since I last saw you, it is difficult for me to believe that you have already grown to such an age where the married state is something under your consideration. There are many lovely young ladies in the Virginia counties, and I trust that you will soon find one who is both beautiful and virtuous, as well as intelligent and charming. However, I could not but wonder whether you might find someone more likely to be still alive were you looking in the newspaper's somewhat more recent editions...

With best wishes from your sister Caroline
:twisted:

VaTrooper
07-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Very funny sister but as many know with the increase in age comes the decrease in "standards"

cookiemom
07-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Very funny sister but as many know with the increase in age comes the decrease in "standards"
Are you perhaps suggesting that I should find Mr. McHale an acceptable candidate? :(

Actually, I think sorry experience has made me MORE particular.

VaTrooper
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Mabey you should send him an email to see if he'll send you his tintype.

cookiemom
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Mabey you should send him an email to see if he'll send you his tintype.
No need, brother. The 'very' late Mr. McHale clearly fails to meet at least four of Miss Candace Rose's five extremely reasonable baseline requirements for prospective beaus [see posts 31 and 40 above.]

Perhaps I, too, shall begin taking long walks by the river. Alas...

Scottish Songbird
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey Fellow Reenactors,
This is such an entertaining thread! I wish I could think of something clever to say....nope nothing's coming?!?!? Oh well, call me a "hopeless romantic" but I would love to meet someone already in the hobby. I tried it the other way around and it didn't work!!:( Anyway, I love to meet people, so feel free to write!!

Jill
21st Indiana Light Artillery

cookiemom
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
... This is such an entertaining thread!
Jill

Given the number of views this thread has accumulated, it would appear that you are not alone in that assessment, Jill. :) And so the show will go on here, folks.

But anyone who also wants to get in on a round of the old game "what's your name - where're you from - what's your impression - what events will you attend" can go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACWreenactor_singles

and see who else shows up to play.

Carole

P.S. to Wm. S. -- Happy Birthday, again, brother! from your sister, Caroline :)

Scottish Songbird
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, since singing is my profession, I thought I might sing you all a song, so here it is:

"Oh, yes I am a Southern Girl and glory in the name
(Hey, wait a minute...I'm from Indiana!)
"And boast it with far greater pride than glittering wealth or fame"
(Really??)
"I envy not the Northern girl, her robes of beauty rare"
(AHHHH)
"Though diamonds grace her snowy neck and pearls bedeck her hair"
(Wow, we northern girls must be loaded!!!)
"Hurrah, Hurrah, for the the Sunny South so dear"
(guess it never rains there!?!?)
"Three cheers for the homespun dress that Southern Ladies wear"

Hey, there seem to be alot of Cavalry guys on here...could one of them ride my way and "sweep me off my feet", I'm tired of walking!!!!!;)

Jill

VaTrooper
07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I dont see Artillerymen walking. Doesnt matter if it's mounted artillery or GMC certified your still riding.

Scottish Songbird
07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I dont see Artillerymen walking. Doesnt matter if it's mounted artillery or GMC certified your still riding.
Ok Mr. Shifflett...you got me there!!! But at an event I'm more inclined to be dressed in my hoops and walking than out there on the field with the big boys! Unless I'm being "an angel of mercy" and nursing of course...which is when I can really play !!!;)

Jill
21st Indiana Light Artillery (only a member, I don't get to shoot the gun!!)

P.S. So, I don't get a horsey ride?!?!?:( Awww.......

VaTrooper
07-13-2006, 08:51 PM
You more than welcome to come for a ride. But we dont have side saddles and anything else might be uncomfortable.

Scottish Songbird
07-13-2006, 09:56 PM
You more than welcome to come for a ride. But we dont have side saddles and anything else might be uncomfortable.
So true Mr. Shifflett!! Hey, I know...I'll wear my "bloomer outfit"! It's very comfortable, has a shorter skirt and "turkish trousers". Then I wouldn't need a side saddle!:D

Jill
21st Indiana Light Artillery (only a member, I don't get to shoot the gun!)

P.S. The "bloomer outfit" or "freedom dress" as it was somtimes called was quite controversial and never really caught on...(but it sure is comfortable)!!!!;)

VaTrooper
07-13-2006, 10:19 PM
You ladies sure do have a lot of layers.

Scottish Songbird
07-14-2006, 07:29 PM
You ladies sure do have a lot of layers.
We certainly do!!! It's very nice to know that an honorable young man such as yourself would even consider giving a ride on your horse to a lady in my years:o ! Although I'm still pretty spry at 42! :p My thanks again, son!!!

Jill
Battery Singer for the 21st Indiana Light Artillery

frankstevanus
07-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, Jill, William is a true gentleyoungman. I think, also, he has a spare horse, too!
I am teaching a lady (46) to ride gaited horses now. She is presently dating a man not much older than our William. She says something to the effect that "Young men give me more fire for my furnace". Or something like that.
Anyway. Just a thought.
Frank

We certainly do!!! It's very nice to know that an honorable young man such as yourself would even consider giving a ride on your horse to a lady in my years:o ! Although I'm still pretty spry at 42! :p My thanks again, son!!!

Jill
Battery Singer for the 21st Indiana Light Artillery

MStuart
07-14-2006, 07:40 PM
William appears to be a fine young man of Virginia. He's polite on the board, and doesn't get into the fray's we have so much of the time. A young lady could do much worse.

Mark

"Cavalry" guys gotta stick together Mess

Scottish Songbird
07-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes, Jill, William is a true gentleyoungman. I think, also, he has a spare horse, too!
I am teaching a lady (46) to ride gaited horses now. She is presently dating a man not much older than our William. She says something to the effect that "Young men give me more fire for my furnace". Or something like that.
Anyway. Just a thought.
Frank
Oh my!!! I think you are making me blush!!!!:oops: Ah well... maybe there is hope for me yet;) ...what do you think?!?!

cookiemom
07-14-2006, 10:10 PM
... She is presently dating a man not much older than our William. She says something to the effect that "Young men give me more fire for my furnace". Or something like that.
Anyway. Just a thought.
Frank
And if you play with fire...

Take a DEEP breath and repeat after me: MaryKayLeTourneauIsNOTAGood RoleModelMaryKayLeTourneauIsNOTAGoodRoleModelMary. ..:)

Scottish Songbird
07-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Take a DEEP breath and repeat after me: MaryKayLeTourneauIsNOTAGood RoleModelMaryKayLeTourneauIsNOTAGoodRoleModelMary. ..:)
:o Oh, yes, you are so right Carole!!!!!

cookiemom
07-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Still... he is truly "a good young man with a heart of gold," a quick mind, and a sly sense of humor... and his horse is a cutie, too...

If only...

Ah, well...

[marykayletourneauisnotagoodrolemodelmarykayletourn eauisnotagoodrolemodelmarykay...

VaTrooper
07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Jill,
Youd have to sign a couple forms in case of accident but he's all yours.

Frank,
I do indeed have a spare horse but hes still in training and hasnt found any gear other than the walk gear.

Mark,
Thanks for the kind words and with you only being a state up im suprised I havent meet you on the field yet.

Carole,
Quick mind? Thats a first.

William Shifflett
"Aint getting hitched mess"

cookiemom
07-14-2006, 11:51 PM
... Quick mind? Thats a first.

William Shifflett
"Aint getting hitched mess"
Now how am I supposed to find you a nice girl if you start playing "hard to get" again?

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I seem to remember some Nieces mentioned earlier in the thread. lol.

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 12:43 AM
I seem to remember some Nieces mentioned earlier in the thread. lol.
One of them is going off to college out of state in a few weeks, and already has a beau. The other likes the "living theater" aspect of reenacting and really wanted to come to Jerusalem Mill, but had already promised to watch a neighbor's kids that day.

What, where, and when are your next events?

[This is why we should use the calendar function on the 'other' forum.]

[shameless promotion, I know... :) ]

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACWreenactor_singles

Carole
Matchmaker Mess

frankstevanus
07-15-2006, 05:10 AM
Who is this Mary Le TourneauI ?

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Who is this Mary Le Tourneau ?
Um... probably not the first, but possibly the most famous character in the modern history of "improper" relationships between schoolteachers and their underage students...

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Carole,

I'll have to get back to you on that. I can name the whats, some wheres, but no whens.

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 12:01 PM
21-23 July - First Manassas at Cedar Creek - Middletown, VA
5-6 August - Cedar Mountain Skirmish - Culpeper, VA
12-13 August - Binghamton, NY. Battle.
19-20 August - White Sulphur Springs, WV. Battle.
6-10 September - Morgan's Raid, OH - Who the boys who shot uppa Pomeroy?
30 Sep- 1 Oct - Battle Stanardsville, VA. Battle
14-15 Oct - Battle of Cedar Creek, Middletown VA - Battle.
4-5 November - Locust Grove, VA - Battle of Walkerton - NE of Richmond, VA

or something like that....

MStuart
07-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Is anyone else picturing the scene from "Jaws" where Quint and his crew are throwing out the bait and chum to lure the shark in? I keep hearing that music, too!!

Mark

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Mark! Shhh!

Wm Shifflett
"Cavalry" guys gotta stick together Mess

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Is anyone else picturing the scene from "Jaws" where Quint and his crew are throwing out the bait and chum to lure the shark in? I keep hearing that music, too!!

Mark
I never saw the movie. What's the bait and who's the shark, here?

Ma

P.S. Don't be so cynical. :)

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Rest easy your C: The middleman.

Wm Shifflett
Alphabet Mess

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Rest easy your C: The middleman.

Wm Shifflett
Alphabet Mess
Rest easy??? Trying to lull me into complacency? Hmmm... that must make you the shark.

Am I going to have to rethink this whole thing? :( I'm very protective of young ladies.

Maybe I should go to Blockbuster and get the movie to watch tonight ... research, you know...

MStuart
07-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Uh oh......I shall bow out of this since it looks like I'm fouling it up for young William. Sigh

Mark

"Budinski" & Married more years than William has been alive

And what the heck am I doing on a thread entitled "Reenactor Singles" anyway

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Trust your judgement Carole.

Wm Shifflett
The O ******************** Mess

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Uh oh......I shall bow out of this since it looks like I'm fouling it up for young William. Sigh

Mark

"Budinski" & Married more years than William has been alive

And what the heck am I doing on a thread entitled "Reenactor Singles" anyway

Rest easy, Mark. ;) It's all in good fun. William and I have actually met, in person, or I would NEVER be doing this. [Sorry if that ruins the drama, folks.] I'm a mom, an aunt, and once a junior high teacher and Girl Scout leader, and I care very much about young folks, and their safety.

"Singles" is the topic, not a limiting criterion on who may post. Anybody married "that many" years would certainly have some wisdom to contribute. Humor, too, I think. Besides, we need to add more cast members to this little show... :) [How many views is it now? The world is watching... where's Neilsen?]

[I did go out and rent "Jaws" to watch this evening. We'll see if I get any sleep tonight. :-o [I'm "terror-challenged" and couldn't sit through "The Wizard of Oz" from start to finish until I was 36. Never did like those monkeys. [And yes, William, television HAD been invented back then... :) sorry, I couldn't resist!]

Carole
Don't Worry It's Really Not A Mess

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Carole

lol, thats a good one.

Wm Shifflett
Gettin beat at his own game Mess.

MStuart
07-15-2006, 09:10 PM
[And yes, William, television HAD been invented back then... :) sorry, I couldn't resist!]

Carole

I remember when TV had 3 channels (we didn't count PBS) and NO remote control...........It was a living h*ll.

Mark

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Hey even I had a TV with no remote.

Wm Shifflett
Wheres the Clicker Mess

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Remember them playing the National Anthem at midnight, then broadcasting a test pattern until the 6am news?

[Yup. No all-night TV. Of course, I wasn't allowed to stay up that late very often.]

Or Dad being able to repair the TV by replacing a burnt-out tube with a new one from the hardware store?

Or actually HAVING TO GO outside and play because there REALLY WASN'T anything for kids to watch during most of the day?

MStuart
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Remember them playing the National Anthem at midnight, then broadcasting a test pattern until the 6am news?

[Yup. No all-night TV. Of course, I wasn't allowed to stay up that late very often.]

Or Dad being able to repair the TV by replacing a burnt-out tube with a new one from the hardware store?

Or actually HAVING TO GO outside and play because there REALLY WASN'T anything for kids to watch during most of the day?

Thanks Direct TV!

Wm Shifflett
Dish Network Mess

cookiemom
07-15-2006, 10:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/ap_on_fe_st/911_love

Scottish Songbird
07-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Hi all,
Hey there has to be more "singles" on here than are posting? Come on people, talk or write or something!!!;)

Scottish Songbird
07-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Well my dear Mr. Shifflett,
Thank you for offering the horse! I wish I could ride but never really learned. I love animals and had a "zoo" growing up but have always been somewhat afraid of horses.:( Maybe because I fell off once as a kid! Ah well, I still love the scene of "riding into the sunset" on a horse!!;)

VaTrooper
07-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Some horses pull buggy's.

Wm Shifflett
Reality Check Mess

Scottish Songbird
07-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Some horses pull buggy's.

Wm Shifflett
Reality Check Mess

Yes, a buggy ride is lovely but somehow it just isn't the same as watching you fine young men ride "gallantly into battle"!! Oh well...where's all the cavalry men in their 30's & 40's?!?!?!;)

VaTrooper
07-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Thats the dismounted cavalry. They cant help you.

MStuart
07-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Alas, my young horse owning friend is correct.....

However, can I interest anyone in a single, 29 year old active duty USAF SSgt stationed at Minot, N.D. who just started reenacting this year? (My son........gotta get him hitched with a fine young lady who's got some sense)

Geez, I sound like an auctioneer

Mark

frankstevanus
07-16-2006, 04:29 PM
William:
Maybe you should post your picture on this site. I think some of the ladies area trying to "hook you up"! Put up one of the pictures I sent you. Like the one with you shooting your smoke wagon off your horse. Looks good!

VaTrooper
07-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Lets see......... Heres one from this spring. The JM photos are in Zip form and wont load right. You more than welcome to try.

Scottish Songbird
07-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok, so I'm out of luck,huh?!!?!:( So, there's still no Cavalry guys out there in their 30's & 40's?

P.S. Nice photo William!

VaTrooper
07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Carole,
Did Frank have a ring on his finger? I cant recall.

Wm Shifflett
The Wink Wink Mess

cookiemom
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Carole,
Did Frank have a ring on his finger? I cant recall.

Wm Shifflett
The Wink Wink Mess
Just who are you trying to put on the spot, here? You're soooo bad.

This looks like a set-up to me...

(no)

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 12:09 AM
(no)

So you looked?

Wm Shifflett
Dont Laugh at me Mess

cookiemom
07-17-2006, 01:43 AM
So you looked?

Wm Shifflett
Dont Laugh at me Mess
Yup. One never knows when any small bit of information might be helpful in answering an unexpected question...

Carole
Sorry I Thought You Were Laughing Too/What A Mess

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
And you were right. Where is ole Frank at? Frankieeeeeee.

Kimmel
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714/ap_on_fe_st/911_love

I also heard of a little girl calling 911 because she needed help on her math homework

frankstevanus
07-17-2006, 07:07 PM
What's up, Wildman? I am here. I have been busy replacing one of the dirt floors in a stall. Tough work in this weather.
I thought you would have been over at Rich Mountain? Maybe next year they will let some cavalry go? But by then the price of gas will be up to $5.00 a gallon and we'll all have to ride our horses there!
Stay cool.
Frank

And you were right. Where is ole Frank at? Frankieeeeeee.

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Nope didnt have my **** together for Rich Mountain. Replacing a dirt floor......sounds tricky.

cookiemom
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
... I have been busy replacing one of the dirt floors in a stall...
Frank
...using only the most PEC dirt, I hope...

Scottish Songbird
07-17-2006, 11:00 PM
This looks like a set-up to me...

Hey, is somebody trying to set me up?!?!? I've never been on a "blind date" before...this could be fun!!!:eek:

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
If your ever out east I've got a couple single pards I could hook you up with.

Scottish Songbird
07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
If your ever out east I've got a couple single pards I could hook you up with.

Ok William, but I fear they may be much too young!!! Remember my age son...as Cookiemom said "MaryKayLetourneuisNOTagoodrolemodel"!!!:p
Also, I tend to fall off of horses, remember;) !!!

Darn...maybe I'll have to give up the Cavalry Guy idea?!?! (Actually as long as they are "genuine" and don't lead me on...........

VaTrooper
07-17-2006, 11:56 PM
My company is full of old farts. But only one....I think........is single.

cookiemom
07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Darn...maybe I'll have to give up the Cavalry Guy idea?!?!
I believe that there are quite a number of very nice infantrymen who follow this thread. Perhaps some of them would consider joining us in conversation...

Ma

VaTrooper
07-18-2006, 12:37 AM
***Cough Cough***

Wm Shifflett
Laughin my *'s off Mess

cookiemom
07-18-2006, 01:03 AM
I also heard of a little girl calling 911 because she needed help on her math homework
I taught junior high math for a time. It makes me sad to think that any kid would get that desperate about homework.

On a lighter note, did you hear the one about the math teacher who was detained at the airport by Homeland Security? They found a calculator, a protractor, and a compass in his bag. He was charged with carrying weapons of math instruction...

Sorry. I only know three jokes. And you don't want to hear the other two.

I gotta get a life.

Ma

Scottish Songbird
07-18-2006, 01:11 AM

Hey now....How old do I look in that photo????? :p

VaTrooper
07-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Its too tiny. But I dont see grey hair.

Wm Shifflett
Who took my glasses Mess

VaTrooper
07-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Carole,
Took someone 20 years but Im speechless.

Scottish Songbird
07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I believe that there are quite a number of very nice infantrymen who follow this thread. Perhaps some of them would consider joining us in conversation...

Ma

Ok...I guess it is my perogative to change my mind, right??:) So.....helloooooo any nice infantrymen out there?????;)

cookiemom
07-19-2006, 08:28 AM
... can I interest anyone in a single, 29 year old active duty USAF SSgt stationed at Minot, N.D. who just started reenacting this year? (My son........gotta get him hitched with a fine young lady who's got some sense)

Geez, I sound like an auctioneer

MarkMark --

I have a brother-in-law who grew up in Stanley, ND (about 50 miles west of Minot) and his dad still lives there. Shall I see if he knows anybody who knows somebody who might have a daughter who has a friend who... :)

If so, you might send me more info. in a PM.

Carole
MatchmakerNetwork.Mess

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." -- Mark Twain

cookiemom
07-19-2006, 09:37 AM
... and approximately how old does one have to be to be considered an old ...um...?

Carole
MethuselahMoms.Mess

VaTrooper
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
30 sounds about right.

Scottish Songbird
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
30 sounds about right.
30!?!?!?!?!? Hey now young man............................................... ......;)

MStuart
07-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Carole:

I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass. The ball at Cedar Creek is Saturday and with a little luck I'll have him married off by Sunday noon.

Mark

Scottish Songbird
07-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Its too tiny. But I dont see grey hair.

Wm Shifflett
Who took my glasses Mess
Ah well.....Colonel "Revlon" comes to visit me regularly!!!!!!!!!!:p ;)

signalcorpsman
07-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Certainly has been an interesting, and different thread. Never would've imagined reading this on a Civil War site, but I guess its good. Next thing you know, they'll be an "Authentic CW singles" -

Tom McDonald

VaTrooper
07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Beats the alternative.

captain_kirk
07-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Nathan,
I found a civil war reenactor chat room and registered. Every time I logged on, I was the only one there. In chat lingo, LOL, I became tired of talking to myself.
Kirk Fuller
Captain Co. B. 4th Ala.

signalcorpsman
07-20-2006, 08:53 PM
William:

You certainly are correct. But as for now, on to Manassas

Tom McDonald

Scottish Songbird
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, the "wicked step-mother" won't allow me to go to Manassas this weekend.... I'm busy scrubbing floors and waiting on my "stepsisters".:p But wait....I think I dropped my glass slipper....anyone willing to come and find me?!?!?!?!?

P.S. I can wait until after the event;)

VaTrooper
07-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Indeed. Black Flag!

cookiemom
07-20-2006, 10:26 PM
... the "wicked step-mother"...
don't look at me...

Scottish Songbird
07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
don't look at me...

Oh......no offense to you cookiemom!!!! You're certainly not "wicked" are you????;) :p

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh......no offense to you cookiemom!!!! You're certainly not "wicked" are you????;) :p
No offense taken, Jill. What I should have said was "We should all get to go to the ball, but I can't go either." I'll be scrubbing a floor, too, cleaning out el stinko pet-mouse cages, unclogging an overflowing gutter/downspout (before the rain comes, I hope), and various and sundry other "princess-incognito" chores. Alas...

And as for being "wicked," I hope not. Maybe eccentric, but harmless...

Scottish Songbird
07-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi Cookiemom,
I was just wondering why you think more people don't post on the singles thread? Seems like the same few people writing...do you think folks are scared or what? I sure have alot of fun. ;)

:D C'mon everyone...we're having a blast!!!!

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 08:59 PM

Woo... Party lol

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Cookiemom,
I was just wondering why you think more people don't post on the singles thread? Seems like the same few people writing...do you think folks are scared or what? I sure have alot of fun. ;)

Possibly something like that, Jill. This thread has now passed 5,000 views, so you KNOW people are reading it! I suspect some folks might be hesitant to post because they think people will assume they're "looking," and others might not feel they have anything "clever" to say. I didn't post anything until the thread had been up for 2 months, and wasn't sure how it would be received when I finally did. But as a direct result, I met some wonderful folks in person at a very nice event that I wouldn't even have known about otherwise. [And their horses are cute, too. ;) ] I've laughed more here than I have anywhere else in a very long time!

It's probably going to be a slow weekend here, with so many folks at Manassas. But maybe some new friends (or some old ones) will stop by...

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Unfortunatly a slight medical problem that occured Tuesday has prevented me from going to Manassas this year so I'm still here!!!

MStuart
07-21-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm still here FWIW. Last minute work related stuff is keeping me home this week-end.

Mark

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Woo... Party lol
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there, young fella? ;)

Ma

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 10:45 PM
ha ha... not meant to be sorry ma'am

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Unfortunatly a slight medical problem that occured Tuesday has prevented me from going to Manassas this year so I'm still here!!!
Hope you'll recover quickly. Did many from your unit go?

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm still here FWIW. Last minute work related stuff is keeping me home this week-end.

Mark
Isn't it annoying how real life keeps interfering with fun?

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 10:56 PM
ha ha... not meant to be sorry ma'am
PLEASE don't "ma'am" me... you'll make me feel REALLY old...

Nice photo, BTW.

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Hope you'll recover quickly. Did many from your unit go?

Uhh... I think about 10... maybe? I know the Bucktails and the Berdan's were joining together to make Rifle Company A of the 2nd Conn. Infantry. Altoghether I think there's about 30 to 40 supposedly supposed to be there.

PS: Actually I'm recovered, but thank you anyhow. I had a cyst thing on my back and there was some packing the doc had put in that needed to be removed and the wound needed to be looked at on Friday (today) and my friend who was giving me a ride left today, but to early for me to get up to the ER and have it looked at. I'm also on antibiotics so the sun would have messed me all up also... o well... what can ya do? It's doctor stuff... if it had been up to me I would have gone, but the doc. said it was real bad and need to be taken care off. He said if I went I would proably wind up in an ER in Virginia somewhere, and thats when I said.. ok it msut be bad.

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 10:59 PM
PLEASE don't "ma'am" me... you'll make me feel REALLY old...

oops... of course you know I meant... I'm sorry MISS

Edit: I just caught your photo comment.... thank you...

cookiemom
07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
...antibiotics... doctor stuff... said it was real bad... He said if I went I would proably wind up in an ER in Virginia somewhere
Sounds like you made the right decision. My mom used to say that "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Hey, Mark! Are you there? How come people don't teach young folks sayings like that anymore?

Kimmel
07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=cookiemom]Sounds like you made the right decision. My mom used to say that "Discretion is the better part of valor."
QUOTE]

My mom just says "CLEAN YOUR ROOM" lol... nah she is the reason I changed my mind and decided not to go, and I thank her for that, cause I'd be in a worse way right now if I had gone . I can't even begin to imagine me getting to sleep on the ground if I hadn't of had my operation. Now if ya'll excuse me I gotta catch some shut-eye

MStuart
07-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you made the right decision. My mom used to say that "Discretion is the better part of valor."

Hey, Mark! Are you there? How come people don't teach young folks sayings like that anymore?

They do......it's only folks of our "advanced years" ( i.e. over 40) who use and remember them. "Go outside and get the stink blown off ya" was one of my mom's favorites. Quite appropriate these days when the young 'uns tend to spend too much time inside on computer games and TV.

I was all set to head south to Manassas up until Monday when the schedule snafu'd. I could have gone, but would have ended up arriving at a late hour. Setting up in the dark is no fun, and if I don't arrive early, I feel lkie I've missed something for some strange reason. We also got a new puppy, and it really wouln't be fair to leave my lovely bride all week-end with Spawn of the Devil whilst I went and relaxed and played soldier. It all works out in the end, as it's not like this is the only event this year. There'll be more.

Mark

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 09:03 AM
They do......it's only folks of our "advanced years" ( i.e. over 40) who use and remember them. "Go outside and get the stink blown of ya" was one of my mom's favorites. Quite appropriate these days when the young 'uns tend to spend too much time inside on computer games and TV.
Made me laugh! ... and any day that starts with a laugh will be a good day. Thanks.

I was all set to head south to Manassas up until Monday when the schedule snafu'd. I could have gone, but would have ended up arriving at a late hour. Setting up in the dark is no fun, and if I don't arrive early, I feel lkie I've missed something for some strange reason.
Maybe not so strange. I often won't watch a movie or TV show if I miss the beginning...

We also got a new puppy, and it really wouln't be fair to leave my lovely bride all week-end with Spawn of the Devil whilst I went and relaxed and played soldier.Very decent of you. :) My kid wants a puppy, but I can't quite bring myself to take on that project at the moment.

It all works out in the end, as it's not like this is the only event this year. There'll be more.True enough. Besides, the "can-can" dancers won't be appearing this time -- there wasn't enough room to rehearse properly while we were visiting with the Provost Marshal... :)

Carole

MStuart
07-22-2006, 09:25 AM
True enough. Besides, the "can-can" dancers won't be appearing this time -- there wasn't enough room to rehearse properly while we were visiting with the Provost Marshal... :)

Frenchie is a task--master when it comes to the well-being of the troops. He's all business. None of us "secesh" want to be captured by his unit.

Mark

Gwen In LA
07-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Take heart...in our civilian ACSW group, one of the lovely, charming, and intelligent ladies just married the constable :)

Much happiness to them!

Gwen in l.a.

Scottish Songbird
07-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Woo... Party lol

:p Ooh...goody....so you're going to join our little party here?!?!?!;)

Kimmel
07-22-2006, 09:04 PM
:p Ooh...goody....so you're going to join our little party here?!?!?!;)

Why not? It's only the hipest place on the CW forum!!!

Scottish Songbird
07-22-2006, 10:12 PM

Hey, nice to have you Bryan....stick around it only gets better!!!!;)

Kimmel
07-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Hey, nice to have you Bryan....stick around it only gets better!!!!;)

Thanks...I suppose I shall stay and have afew laughs...

PS: I guess we're the one's who didn't get to go play at Manassas this time? Well there no fun anyway!! We'll have our own event... how's that sound Brig. General Cookiemom

Kimmel
07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Scottish Songbird, being that you are one.... what exactly is a battery singer? Also, I see you do it for a group in Indiana. If you are from Indy, where? I have relatives who live in and around the Fortville area. I have a cousin who lives in Noblesville too.

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 10:54 PM
... an appropriate musical interlude... turn on your speakers now...

http://www.hit-country-music-lyrics.com/Danielle-Peck-Finding-A-Good-Man-Lyrics.html

MStuart
07-22-2006, 10:56 PM
This is quite possibly the only thread on the forum where folks aren't biting each other's heads off. No one's taking themselves very seriously and we're just having a good time. Refreshing....

Mark

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 10:57 PM
My mom just says "CLEAN YOUR ROOM" lol...
I say that , too, but only to my own kid...

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 11:10 PM
was the title of a book from the 60's or 70's.

Who'd'a'thunk I'd be allowed to play "hip" at my ever-advancing age? :)

Carole
__________________________________________________ ___________________
If you can fool yourself, you don't ever have to fool anybody else. -- B.C. Milligan

Kimmel
07-22-2006, 11:30 PM
This is quite possibly the only thread on the forum where folks aren't biting each other's heads off. No one's taking themselves very seriously and we're just having a good time. Refreshing....

Mark

I hear ya! I tend to stay outta the lets kill each other topics lol
BTW... Isn't it past everyone's bedtime? Minus our friends in the West

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 11:36 PM
We'll have our own event... how's that sound Brig. General Cookiemom
I respectfully decline the promotion, young Sir. I'm in charge at home 24/7, and come here to escape. Besides, I already hold the titles of President of the Universal Society of CookieMoms, and Generalissima-for-Life, StealthCookie-Givers/Consolidated AdHoc Guerrilla Strike Force, and am kept (happily) busy with those duties. But I think I missed a Gettysburg LH today... :(

But by all means, let's enjoy the evening.

cookiemom
07-22-2006, 11:48 PM
... what exactly is a battery singer?
...visions of the Energizer bunny... :)

Also, I see you do it for a group in Indiana.
Um...would you like to re-phrase that?

cookiemom
07-23-2006, 12:00 AM
the only thread on the forum where folks aren't biting each other's heads off...

we're just having a good time. Refreshing....

Mark
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/06/photogalleries/swimmingwithsharks/photo2.html

:):):):)

cookiemom
07-23-2006, 12:06 AM
BTW... Isn't it past everyone's bedtime? Minus our friends in the West
Over and out. [Click.] [zhhzhzhzhzhzhhzhzhzhzhzhz..................]

Scottish Songbird
07-23-2006, 12:42 PM
Scottish Songbird, being that you are one.... what exactly is a battery singer? Also, I see you do it for a group in Indiana. If you are from Indy, where? I have relatives who live in and around the Fortville area. I have a cousin who lives in Noblesville too.

Hi Bryan!!! Well.......................ummmm.....that's what the sign on my tent says!!! It reads: Battery Singer, Scottish Songbird Jill MacGregor (no this is not my real last name but my "scottish clan name"), Darlin Warbler, Voice of an Angel!! I love it, it's so me. It's painted a pretty blue with hearts and stars, and apples and little scottish thistle...awwwwww!!! I do sing professionally and I guess to answer your question, I really do sing when I'm at an event. YES....people do request songs and I oblige!!!! Ok, ok....this just gives me some identity in our unit!!!!
I live in Northern IN, near South Bend!! I have a girlfriend who lives in Carmel though!

Scottish Songbird
07-23-2006, 01:14 PM

Well, to that first quote: "I wish had some of that energy!:p

Ooh...and yes Cookiemom...I hadn't thought of it that way!!! I certainly wouldn't want that "Repuation" at an event!!;)

MStuart
07-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Bryan!!! Well.......................ummmm.....that's what the sign on my tent says!!! It reads: Battery Singer, Scottish Songbird Jill MacGregor (no this is not my real last name but my "scottish clan name"), Darlin Warbler, Voice of an Angel!! I love it, it's so me. It's painted a pretty blue with hearts and stars, and apples and little scottish thistle...awwwwww!!! I do sing professionally and I guess to answer your question, I really do sing when I'm at an event. YES....people do request songs and I oblige!!!! Ok, ok....this just gives me some identity in our unit!!!!
I live in Northern IN, near South Bend!! I have a girlfriend who lives in Carmel though!

There's two kinds of people in the world. Those that are Scots,,,,,and those that wish they were.

Mark of the clan Stuart

Scottish Songbird
07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
There's two kinds of people in the world. Those that are Scots,,,,,and those that wish they were.

Mark of the clan Stuart

Ahhh....well said Mr. Stuart:D I was just at the Scottish Highland Games yesterday all dressed as a "bonny lass"! Had a great time, set up my A-frame, read stories and sang to the kids....and played!!!!

Kimmel
07-23-2006, 08:29 PM

oops my bad :) you "sing" for a group in Indy sorry

Frenchie
07-23-2006, 09:57 PM

Mark of the clan Stuart

There are two kinds of Scots; those who can trace their lineage back to the blessed green land of Eire, and those who wish they could ;)

My mother was a Power and her mother was a Barry and that side of the family goes back to Waterford.

Mojo1842
07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, I suppose that I'll come out of hiding.....you all SEEM harmless enough

MStuart
07-23-2006, 10:08 PM

Welcome William!

Now....about that blood oath............ :.)

Mark

Mojo1842
07-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Ah, blood oaths dont scare me....I've seen worse ;)

cookiemom
07-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Ah, blood oaths dont scare me....I've seen worse ;)
Uh-oh... nobody told ME about that... :(

Scottish Songbird
07-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Aye Laddies, I'm still coming down off of a "Scottish High" after the Highland Games this weekend!!! I was dressed as a bonny lass, reading stories and singing to the children, soaking up my scottish heritage and well.............. and.............mmmmmmmmmmm.....enjoying 'men in kilts'!!!!!;) ;) So here's a song for you!!

Bonnie George Campbell
Hie upon Hielands, and laigh upon Tay, Bonnie George Campbell rode out on a day, He saddled, he bridled, and gallant rode he,
And hame cam his guid horse, but never cam he.

Out cam his mother, dear, greeting fu sair, And out cam his bonny bryde, riving her hair. The meadow lies green, the corn is unshorn, But bonnie George Campbell will never return.

Saddled and bridled and booted rode he, A plume in his helmet, a sword at his knee. But toom* cam his saddle, all bloody to see, Oh, hame cam his guid horse, but never cam he!
*means empty

Just remember: "Real men wear kilts!":p ;)

Grits
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Which Highland Games did you attend? It wouldn't have been at Grandfather's Mountain would it? My grandmother was an Irwin (originally from Drum Castle near Aberdeen) and I attended with her several years ago. It was a wonderful experience.

Beth
a.k.a Grits (Girl Raised in the South)

Scottish Songbird
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Which Highland Games did you attend? It wouldn't have been at Grandfather's Mountain would it? My grandmother was an Irwin (originally from Drum Castle near Aberdeen) and I attended with her several years ago. It was a wonderful experience.

Beth
a.k.a Grits (Girl Raised in the South)

Hi Beth,
These were the games in my own town of South Bend, IN! These are very small games but still fun. I went to the ones in St.Louis, MO last year. Theirs are much bigger and I was able to perform at them....lots of fun too!

Scottish Songbird
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM

Welcome Laddie!!! And hey we're all harmless....(I think?!?!):p Keep posting and visit often...we really do have a great time here!

Mojo1842
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Welcome Laddie!!! And hey we're all harmless....(I think?!?!):p Keep posting and visit often...we really do have a great time here!

you think? you mean you're not sure? (what have I gotten meself into?) LOL

Ephraim_Zook
07-25-2006, 07:51 AM
I ain't among the single folk but I've been getting a few chuckles reading here.

Brethren and Sisthren, I'd like to testify: I'm married to a Scot.

And she fits almost every stereotype you've ever heard. Red haired. Hot tempered. Cheap. Re-uses wrapping paper. Can't cook worth a d****d. I learned to cook against the probability of dying from malnutrition. Her grandmother spoke some strange gibberish unintelligible to normal English-speaking people. Two places where she broke out of the mold: She doesn't like haggis (or oatmeal for that matter) and as a near-teetotler she leaves the Scotch drinking to me.

I confess that she used to drag me to an annual Celtic festival / Highland Games. Now I go willingly. ;-)

ps -- My sons have eschewed the continental part of their heritage; the eldest is a piper, the younger wears the kilt regularly.

Ron Myzie
Mackintosh by osmosis or something like that
Touch Not The Cat But a Glove

cookiemom
07-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I ain't among the single folk but I've been getting a few chuckles reading here.
Glad to hear you're enjoying our blatant frivolity. Please join in whenever you like.

I confess that she used to drag me to an annual Celtic festival / Highland Games. Now I go willingly. ;-)

ps -- My sons have eschewed the continental part of their heritage; the eldest is a piper, the younger wears the kilt regularly.

Ron Myzie
Mackintosh by osmosis or something like that
Touch Not The Cat But a Glove
Although I have ancestors from France, Germany (Prussia), Luxembourg, England, Ireland, and Scotland, I must confess that it is the bagpipes that get me every time. [And men in kilts are OK; but show me tartan plaid flannel shirts and bluejeans and, well, um, ... ] ;)

Carole

Scottish Songbird
07-25-2006, 10:13 AM
you think? you mean you're not sure? (what have I gotten meself into?) LOL

Well Mr.McGowan, I'm pretty harmless (a little silly and crazy maybe) but harmless!!!;)....not sure about the rest of you?:p (just kidding!!)

Hey...aren't all reenactors just a 'little crazy'?!?!?:eek:

MStuart
07-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Brethren and Sisthren, I'd like to testify: I'm married to a Scot. [/i]

Strange....my wife is married to a Scot, and she's partially one, too.

We ain't cheap!! We're thrifty. And if your wife heard you say that, I'd bet there'd be a little chase involving a frying pan.

Mark

cookiemom
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey...aren't all reenactors just a 'little crazy'?!?!?
"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained." -- Mark Twain

... at least that's how I try to justify my behavior... ;)

kookymom
ItTakesOneToKnowOne Mess :)

P.S. Jill -- check your PM.

theknapsack
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Strange....my wife is married to a Scot, and she's partially one, too.

We ain't cheap!! We're thrifty. And if your wife heard you say that, I'd bet there'd be a little chase involving a frying pan.

Mark

More likely a golf club, or a hurling stick. Afterall, Scottish food is not fried, its boiled.

Ephraim_Zook
07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
"We ain't cheap!! We're thrifty. And if your wife heard you say that, I'd bet there'd be a little chase involving a frying pan."

Nae, Laddie. I say it freely in front of her. She speaks as do you -- "I ain't cheap -- I'm thrifty"! :-) Mr Ewen is right about boiled food. Another thrift thing, I suppose. You need only one pot to make dinner. And nothing expensive like lard or butter to shorten the pan. Water (it's free*, y'know) takes care of it.

* We have a well, so yes, the water is free. Ignore the electric pump.

cookiemom
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
More likely a golf club, or a hurling stick. Afterall, Scottish food is not fried, its boiled.
Welcome, Mr. Ewen! Glad to have you join our little (but ever-growing) comedy troupe!

[I noticed on the way in here that the thread is nearing 6000 views! Anybody want to predict when we'll hit that magic number? And does any computer-savvy person know if we're in danger of "frying" Mr. Szabo's server or whatever it is? That would be tragic. And very ungracious on our part. ;) ]

Carole
RememberThePunchcard? Mess

Scottish Songbird
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
"We ain't cheap!! We're thrifty. And if your wife heard you say that, I'd bet there'd be a little chase involving a frying pan."

Nae, Laddie. I say it freely in front of her. She speaks as do you -- "I ain't cheap -- I'm thrifty"! :-) Mr Ewen is right about boiled food. Another thrift thing, I suppose. You need only one pot to make dinner. And nothing expensive like lard or butter to shorten the pan. Water (it's free*, y'know) takes care of it.

* We have a well, so yes, the water is free. Ignore the electric pump.

Uh-oh....I asked the folks at the Highland Games to find me a good Scottish guy?...................do I need to rethink this?!?!?!?;)

MStuart
07-25-2006, 05:54 PM
One need only to watch "Braveheart" to see the best in Scotsmen.

Ah, to be that tough....

Mark

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots"

Kimmel
07-25-2006, 08:16 PM

Ah, to be that tough....

Mark

The can only be one Highlander!!!

MStuart
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
The can only be one Highlander!!!

ooooooooooooooooooooooo I forgot about the clan MacCleod!!!

(Conner, Duncan) Ritchie was a tad annoying.......

Mark

I always wonder about lightning. Is a storm coming , or did someone lose their head?

Think about it

Scottish Songbird
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM

Ah, to be that tough....

Mark

Well said Mr. Stuart! I can't resist a man in a kilt or a uniform or......well.......you get it!;)

cookiemom
07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
One need only to watch "Braveheart" to see the best in Scotsmen."
I didn't see it. Was that Mel Gibson? Hmmm...

Do any of the ladies agree that Sean Connery only got 'better' with age? ;)

Haven't seen him around lately, though.

Carole
HeWasTheBest007 Mess

Ephraim_Zook
07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Goin' regimental.

Miss Songbird, et. al.,

WARNING: You may find the photograph at this link not appropriate for a family-oriented discussion board. Proceed at your own discretion.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/images.do?displayContent=75487

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Uh-oh....I asked the folks at the Highland Games to find me a good Scottish guy?...................do I need to rethink this?!?!?!?;)

only if you dont want your first date to be at White Castle or somesuch....

MStuart
07-26-2006, 04:07 PM

To borrow a line from Bill Watson.......William owes me for a new keyboard...a double tragedy because I was drinking a $5 Starbucks 4 shot Vente carmel machiatto.

Where's that towel?

Mark

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 04:16 PM
To borrow a line from Bill Watson.......William owes me for a new keyboard...a double tragedy because I was drinking a $5 Starbucks 4 shot Vente carmel machiatto.

Where's that towel?

Mark

Eh, sorry bout that Mark. I do have this gift for saying the most outlandish things just as people are taking a drink....

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Ladies and Gents......seems that we've passed the 6,000 view mark with no sign of impending apocalypse :cool:

MStuart
07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Pittsburgh falls a few spots in ranking of livability for singles
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At least we're cooler than Cleveland.

But for the young and the unattached, Pittsburgh still trails most large U.S. metropolitan areas in desirability, according to new rankings from Forbes.com.

The Cities

1 Denver-Boulder

2 Boston

3 Phoenix

4 San Francisco- Oakland

5 New York

6 Raleigh-Durham

7 Seattle

8 Austin

9 Washington- Baltimore

10 Miami

11 Columbus

12 Philadelphia

13 Sacramento

14 Minneapolis-St Paul

15 New Orleans

16 Atlanta

17 Milwaukee

18 San Diego

19 Los Angeles

20 Providence

21 Las Vegas

22 Chicago

23 Nashville

24 Orlando

25 Charlotte

26 Cincinnati

27 Portland

28 Indianapolis

29 Dallas-Fort Worth

30 Kansas City

31 St Louis

32 Pittsburgh

33 Detroit

34 Houston

35 Tampa

36 Salt Lake City

37 Cleveland

38 San Antonio

39 Norfolk

40 Greensboro

Dropping from 29th to 32nd on this year's list of the best cities for singles, Pittsburgh once again lagged in job growth, "coolness" and nightlife. A low cost of living, however, was one factor in its favor.

Cleveland -- despite the presence of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and the lively Warehouse District -- ranked 37th among the 40 metropolitan areas measured by Forbes.com.

Denver was No. 1 -- for the second year in a row.

Greensboro, N.C. -- or "Greensboring," as some locals have called it, according to Forbes.com -- was last at No. 40.

While Pittsburgh lost ground in this year's survey, its ranking is still an improvement from a three-year period in 2002, 2003 and 2004 when the city ranked dead last, a performance that prompted a lot of hand-wringing from the many local organizations dedicated to changing Pittsburgh's image nationally.

The unwanted publicity even inspired the creation of the Pittsburgh Singles Volunteer Network -- which closed its doors last month -- and led angry Pittsburghers to bombard one Forbes.com writer with more than 240 e-mails, one deriding the survey as "easily the most irresponsible piece of journalism I've ever seen."

Forbes.com used seven measurements this year to arrive at its rankings: projected job growth, number of bars and clubs, culture, cost of living, number of singles as a percentage of the metro area population, online dating and amount of "coolness" as measured by Carnegie Mellon University's Kevin Stolarick and Richard Florida, formerly of CMU.

This year, Pittsburgh's worst performance was its number of online Match.com dating profiles per capita (33rd) and projected job growth over the next five years (32nd). It did not fare much better with nightlife (30th) or "coolness" (31st). Nightlife is the number of bars, restaurants and nightclubs per capita. "Coolness" is a combination of an area's diversity and number of "creative workers" -- artists, scientists, teachers and musicians.

Pittsburgh, though, performed well when measuring the cost of living single, a calculation that includes entry-level salary data, the cost of a Pizza Hut pizza, average apartment rent, movie ticket and a six pack of Heineken. It was fifth best out of 40 cities in that category.

Cleveland -- ha! -- was 35th.

------------------------------------

This may, or may not, help

The 'burgh may have dropped a few slots due to the lack of affordable dental care and the growth of the tattoo industry.

Mark

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Where's that towel?

Mark
Scott -- I don't know if you were a 'lurker' long enough to realize it, but you've just been given the highest accolade awarded by this bunch, and in record time, too! Congratulations, and welcome aboard! You'll fit right in. (And we really are harmless... ;) )

Carole
NowLet'sCleanUpThis Mess

frankstevanus
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey-I don't see Baltimore on the list any where. What's up with that?

Pittsburgh falls a few spots in ranking of livability for singles
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

By Dan Fitzpatrick, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At least we're cooler than Cleveland.

But for the young and the unattached, Pittsburgh still trails most large U.S. metropolitan areas in desirability, according to new rankings from Forbes.com.

The Cities

1 Denver-Boulder

2 Boston

3 Phoenix

4 San Francisco- Oakland

5 New York

6 Raleigh-Durham

7 Seattle

8 Austin

9 Washington- Baltimore

10 Miami

11 Columbus

12 Philadelphia

13 Sacramento

14 Minneapolis-St Paul

15 New Orleans

16 Atlanta

17 Milwaukee

18 San Diego

19 Los Angeles

20 Providence

21 Las Vegas

22 Chicago

23 Nashville

24 Orlando

25 Charlotte

26 Cincinnati

27 Portland

28 Indianapolis

29 Dallas-Fort Worth

30 Kansas City

31 St Louis

32 Pittsburgh

33 Detroit

34 Houston

35 Tampa

36 Salt Lake City

37 Cleveland

38 San Antonio

39 Norfolk

40 Greensboro

Dropping from 29th to 32nd on this year's list of the best cities for singles, Pittsburgh once again lagged in job growth, "coolness" and nightlife. A low cost of living, however, was one factor in its favor.

Cleveland -- despite the presence of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame and the lively Warehouse District -- ranked 37th among the 40 metropolitan areas measured by Forbes.com.

Denver was No. 1 -- for the second year in a row.

Greensboro, N.C. -- or "Greensboring," as some locals have called it, according to Forbes.com -- was last at No. 40.

While Pittsburgh lost ground in this year's survey, its ranking is still an improvement from a three-year period in 2002, 2003 and 2004 when the city ranked dead last, a performance that prompted a lot of hand-wringing from the many local organizations dedicated to changing Pittsburgh's image nationally.

The unwanted publicity even inspired the creation of the Pittsburgh Singles Volunteer Network -- which closed its doors last month -- and led angry Pittsburghers to bombard one Forbes.com writer with more than 240 e-mails, one deriding the survey as "easily the most irresponsible piece of journalism I've ever seen."

Forbes.com used seven measurements this year to arrive at its rankings: projected job growth, number of bars and clubs, culture, cost of living, number of singles as a percentage of the metro area population, online dating and amount of "coolness" as measured by Carnegie Mellon University's Kevin Stolarick and Richard Florida, formerly of CMU.

This year, Pittsburgh's worst performance was its number of online Match.com dating profiles per capita (33rd) and projected job growth over the next five years (32nd). It did not fare much better with nightlife (30th) or "coolness" (31st). Nightlife is the number of bars, restaurants and nightclubs per capita. "Coolness" is a combination of an area's diversity and number of "creative workers" -- artists, scientists, teachers and musicians.

Pittsburgh, though, performed well when measuring the cost of living single, a calculation that includes entry-level salary data, the cost of a Pizza Hut pizza, average apartment rent, movie ticket and a six pack of Heineken. It was fifth best out of 40 cities in that category.

Cleveland -- ha! -- was 35th.

------------------------------------

This may, or may not, help

The 'burgh may have dropped a few slots due to the lack of affordable dental care and the growth of the tattoo industry.

Mark

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Scott -- I don't know if you were a 'lurker' long enough to realize it, but you've just been given the highest accolade awarded by this bunch, and in record time, too! Congratulations, and welcome aboard! You'll fit right in. (And we really are harmless... ;) )

Carole
NowLet'sCleanUpThis Mess

WOW....actually I very quickly felt at home here (and I sorta figured that you all were harmless)

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 06:36 PM
WOW....actually I very quickly felt at home here (and I sorta figured that you all were harmless)
(tee-hee-hee) We're on our best behavior right now... :twisted:

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Probably swallowed up by the unbridled expansion and over-development of Northern Virginia, which threatens to overrun the entire East Coast, bringing ruinous traffic and toxic environmental contaminants, erosion, mega-malls and battlefield auto parks... AAGRRRGGRHHHHHHH............

Oh. Hi, Frank! (Please excuse my tirade.) Welcome back!

How's riding these days? Anything "green" survive in your neck of the woods?

Carole
TooMuchTimeOnTheRoadToday Mess :(

P.S. 4thVaCav -- where are you???

P.P.S. I forgot global warming... ;)

Kimmel
07-26-2006, 07:50 PM

#9... You and D.C. teamed up to make one unstoppable force of livabilityness... or somethin like that...

bizzilizzit
07-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Singles? What singles? Oh, you mean the many Cable Guys I've bumped into at the gas station checkout and the Truck stops. Singles are afraid to live IN Columbus. When it gets dark, they all skeddale...
Elizabeth

MStuart
07-26-2006, 09:13 PM

Carole
NowLet'sCleanUpThis Mess

Why did I address him as William when his name is Scott?

My apologies, Scott.

Mark Payer of little attention

Scottish Songbird
07-26-2006, 09:14 PM

Date??? Did someone mention a date?!?!? :p

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Why did I address him as William when his name is Scott?

My apologies, Scott.

Mark Payer of little attention
Scott's original post was signed "William Scott..." You just have a good memory, Mark. :)

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Well I naturally assumed that if one were found for you that you intended to do something other than stare at him and drool.....:rolleyes:

Mojo1842
07-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Carole is correct Mark; I changed my signature because the only times that I get called William are 1.) if I'm interviewing for a job and 2.) I'm in trouble with the law

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Well I naturally assumed that if one were found for you that you intended to do something other than stare at him and drool.....:rolleyes:
I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type...

Scottish Songbird
07-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Oh my sir....not sure that I would drool (stare maybe;) ) but then I might just faint!!!!;) :p Well...only if my corset is laced too tight and I forgot my smelling salts!!

cookiemom
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
#9... You and D.C. teamed up to make one unstoppable force of livabilityness... or somethin like that...
Hi, Bryan! Have you recovered from your "war wound?"

Yeah, "BaltoWash" is a "happenin' " place...

Kimmel
07-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi, Bryan! Have you recovered from your "war wound?"

Yeah, "BaltoWash" is a "happenin' " place...

Ha ha... yeap.. all healed. Ready to go off and get me some cornfeds :-)

Mojo1842
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Sigh......for a change, all quiet on the Potomac

VaTrooper
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Carole is correct Mark; I changed my signature because the only times that I get called William are 1.) if I'm interviewing for a job and 2.) I'm in trouble with the law

Same here. Any other time they call me........tater salad.

cookiemom
07-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Same here. Any other time they call me........tater salad.
Funny, fella! But seriously, if you want to be called something other than "William" please tell us now, or we might just start using "Tater Salad" .... ;)

How goes it, brother? How was Manassas?

theknapsack
07-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Proprietor of Potato Salad,

How did you get that name?

cookiemom
07-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Are any of you attending any CW-hobby-related events this weekend? Come on now..... 'fess up. ;)

Ma

Scottish Songbird
07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Are any of you attending any CW-hobby-related events this weekend? Come on now..... 'fess up. ;)

Ma

Hi Cookiemom! Man, I wish I was!! There's an event in Merrillville, IN that my unit is going to but our 4-H fair is opening and the kids are involved, so just too much going on and I won't make it! :cry:

VaTrooper
07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Nothing for the weekend but we hit a local parade yesterday.

cookiemom
07-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Nothing for the weekend but we hit a local parade yesterday.
What kind of parade on a Thursday?
Ma

Kimmel
07-28-2006, 02:00 PM
What kind of parade on a Thursday?
Ma

Possibly a fireman parade thing?

Scottish Songbird
07-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I sang second soprano in university chorus. How about a duet, Jill? I'll catch you on the "other" thread.

Carole
DoReMi Mess

:D Hey there Cookiemom!!! Why that sounds like fun!!! I would enjoy a duet with you....we could be.....Camp Singers!! (not to be misconstrued with Camp Followers, though)!!!!;)

cookiemom
07-28-2006, 02:54 PM
I sang second soprano in university chorus. How about a duet, Jill? I'll catch you on the "other" thread.

Carole
DoReMi Mess

:D Hey there Cookiemom!!! Why that sounds like fun!!! I would enjoy a duet with you....we could be.....Camp Singers!! (not to be misconstrued with Camp Followers, though)!!!!;)
Heaven forbid!
Carole