PDA

View Full Version : Sign your name

captdougofky
07-12-2007, 07:47 AM
I like a lot of people here on the forum sign their name after each post. Others and they know who they are don't. I sometimes wonder how many people that are posting really reenact. They offer wisdom but no name. I think if a person is going to post, the least they could do is let others know who they are. It might cut down on rude comments and one liners aimed at pissing people off. CJ Daley comments are well taken. Computer Generals are a dime a dozen. Sign your name or don't make comments, Is that to much to ask. Just my 2 cents worth.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery CS
Kentucky

rebelyell62
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanx Doug,

And if said persons insist on rude/ inflammatory comments. Then, IMHO, said persons should possess the intestinal fortitude to claim their response with a signature or name.

Or at the very least, have the courtesy to discuss differences through P.M's rather than slingin' mud for all to see.

Wendell Brown
Louisville Legion

bill watson
07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
You'd put an entire cottage industry of bushwhacking from disguise out of business if this happened.

M.Metz
07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Is having your name in the automatic signature enough??

NoahBriggs
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Is having your name in the automatic signature enough??

Sure. Those who choose to answer responsibly on this forum all bear a few similar habits - signing full, real name, both alpha and omega- by hand typing or by auto signature. For a lot of us it's common courtesy - or a habit Pavloved into us on the AC Forum, where you are required to sign all your posts, or you do not post.

They also have the remarkable habit of using their full, real names as their online handles, or some variation which is easy to remember. :cool: They are easy to spot. Which is their intention, I believe.

captdougofky
07-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Bill

They need to be shut down, I have try to meet some of us at the last two big events I went to. Perryville 06 and Shiloh 07. I've yet to see anyone. I know base on comments a few of us missed each other, But I suspect that some of the rude posters if not for the starch in their pants they would be nothing more than a pile of __________ on the floor. It does not take much backbone to play general on the computer.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery
1st. Ky Vols. CS
Shepherdsville

sbl
07-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Bill

Is this photo of my 5th NHV comrade Mike recent or the one from 1988?

http://brokenlanceenterprises.com/db3/00267/brokenlanceenterprises.com/_uimages/MikeMantini.JPG

Thanks,

Kevin O'Beirne
07-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I think if a person is going to post, the least they could do is let others know who they are. It might cut down on rude comments and one liners aimed at pissing people off.

You won't find me arguing against that position. I've advocated a mandatory forum "sign your full name to all posts" policy here for years, similar to what's required and enforced on the AC Forum. That said, the forum owner here and the Provost have consistently disagreed with that position and maintained that anonymity of posters on this forum has to be respected.

tompritchett
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
That said, the forum owner here and the Provost have consistently disagreed with that position and maintained that anonymity of posters on this forum has to be respected.

To be more precise, the Provost has stated multiple times that he has no way to verify that the name being posted is actually the poster's real name. Without that verification, making the posting of a full name mandatory seems meaningless as a troll could easily make up a fake name (we have had some of that in the past) or use the name of another reenactor who does not post here (we have had that occur here also).

Also there are the rare occasions when, for safety reasons, a poster does not want their name made public. We had a case not too long ago where a woman was hiding from an abusive other and very recently a couple of posters have been worried about potential internet stalkers.

Having said that, I personally prefer that people do sign their posts but I do not force anyone to do so.

Parault
07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree with both Mr. Kevin and Mr. Tom. If you are going to post something that you know will raise a fuss,take responsability,sign your full name. If your do not want to sign your name then don't stir up the pot,by the way,I think the forum owner and the Provost are doing a good job.

P.L. Parault O....... I forgot my full name........P.L. PARAULT JR.

So I don't have to explain myself on this forum like I had to on the A C

cjdaley
07-12-2007, 02:54 PM
It might cut down on rude comments and one liners aimed at pissing people off.

It was suggested a few times last year, but arranging a meeting of forum users at a big event (like Mill Springs or Cedar Creek) might be a way to get to know each other better. We did this years ago and once you shake someones hand in person, it's pretty hard to beat them up in cyberspace.

I know several forum members have come up and introduced themselves to me at events and it's just nice to put a face to a name sometimes.

6th Alabama
07-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Unfortunately, there are those who take unfair advantage of the anonymous nature provided by the on line forum. This one is no exception. These creatures creep and crawl on all such fora and are free to broadcast any amount of defamatory claptrap. In all likelihood these people would be cordial enough face to face. Allow them to hide behind a fictitious user name and they will write things they would not if identified. If you will go to the trouble to modify your computer screen by temporarily propping a commode seat in front of it you will see their post in the proper environment.

toptimlrd
07-12-2007, 07:15 PM
I go one step further (as do several others), not only do I sign my name but that really is my ugly mug up there on the left.

dedogtent
07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
It was suggested a few times last year, but arranging a meeting of forum users at a big event (like Mill Springs or Cedar Creek) might be a way to get to know each other better. We did this years ago and once you shake someones hand in person, it's pretty hard to beat them up in cyberspace.

I know several forum members have come up and introduced themselves to me at events and it's just nice to put a face to a name sometimes.

I like that idea Chris and Cedar Creek is coming up. I have met many great people from the forums at all kinds of events along the way. It would be nice to get together for around 15 minutes or so for a quick hello and meet more people who post here and on the AC.

Frenchie
07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
I go one step further (as do several others), not only do I sign my name but that really is my ugly mug up there on the left.

Ditto. That one's frightened small children and dogs. :D

rebel yell
07-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, one of my screen names is "Yellowhammer" I have been to 3 or 4 events where people would yell out, Hey Yellowhammer! Instantly I knew it was someone from a forum or something.:rolleyes: I sign my name and my pic is up for all to see, anyway shouldn't all this be in the whine cellar? What does all this have to do with a Military general discussion??

Bill

They need to be shut down, I have try to meet some of us at the last two big events I went to. Perryville 06 and Shiloh 07. I've yet to see anyone. I know base on comments a few of us missed each other, But I suspect that some of the rude posters if not for the starch in their pants they would be nothing more than a pile of __________ on the floor. It does not take much backbone to play general on the computer.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery
1st. Ky Vols. CS
Shepherdsville

TheQM
07-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Like a number of other folks on this forum, my E-mail address is included with my name. It makes it simple to contact me if you have a problem with one of my posts. Plus, it makes it easy to check that any posts under my name were actually written by me.

I'd suggest others consider doing the same. If you think your E-mail address isn't already in the public domain, you're kidding yourself.

Rob
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Like a number of other folks on this forum, my E-mail address is included with my name. It makes it simple to contact me if you have a problem with one of my posts. Plus, it makes it easy to check that any posts under my name were actually written by me.

I'd suggest others consider doing the same. If you think your E-mail address isn't already in the public domain, you're kidding yourself.

Spam-bots "crawl" through web pages looking for e-mail addresses. Putting it out there in front of God and everybody is just asking for it. ("Spam me! Spam me!") I get a lot less spam than most folks I know, because I refuse to do stuff like this. On my own web page, I hide the address within a JavaScript routine which assembles it on the fly. Thanks, but no thanks.

cjdaley
07-13-2007, 04:59 AM
I like that idea Chris and Cedar Creek is coming up. I have met many great people from the forums at all kinds of events along the way. It would be nice to get together for around 15 minutes or so for a quick hello and meet more people who post here and on the AC.

It can be something as simple as meeting for coffee at the modern food vendors on Saturday or Sunday morning.

One of the things I always loved about this hobby as a participant and a vendor was meeting people from all over the country and the world. I know people in every state. I know people from small hamlets to large cities, from Maine to New Zealand. With the internet, the world has become smaller, but more impersonal, but if we want to shake hands and look each other in the eye, we need to make the effort.

chatrbug
07-13-2007, 05:37 AM
i have only my first name for safety reasons. for awhile my last name was up, but ive had a few problems and i started worrying about my safety. after realizing a simple web search could bring up my lifes history (which has been fixed... but im sure its still out there!) and my house address and phone # (which has also been fixed. i was unawares that it was up). for men it may not be such a scarey thing, but for me, as a woman it is... and i rather not broadcast it all. how easy would it be for someone to look at you posting which event your going to. web search your address and well.... you come home to a trashed house void of valuables?

TheQM
07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Dulcie,

I would definitely agree about not putting your phone number and/or address out there for everybody to see, for the very reasons you mentioned. But in the case of your e-mail address, and receiving unwanted messages, that's why they invented spam filters and the delete key.

I get a good number of e-mail messages every day. If I don't recognize an E-mail address or name, that message gets deleted. It only takes a minute. Although I really should contact that guy from Africa, who wants to send me a million dollars.

Rob
07-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Spam filters aren't perfect - far from it. They're getting better all the time, but if you don't set them up just right, you're going to lose mail that you want to receive. Better to close the barn door before the horse escapes.

My wife, who, despite my exhortations, is somewhat lax about computer security, receives 100-200 spams per day. This is no exaggeration! I know this because, last winter, she was away for two days to attend a funeral, and I had to delete these things several times a day so that her mail storage would not exceed the prescribed limits. (Several of these messages warned that "Your storage limits have been exceeded".) It took a heck of a lot more than a minute to do this. Some were obviously spam, but some which looked like spam were legitimate, and vice-versa.

I, on the other hand, get about a dozen per week, if that.

I'll stick to my guns on this one. I get e-mail notification of PMs, so I see no reason whatsoever to leave my address out in plain sight.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."

chatrbug
07-13-2007, 12:42 PM
i have an email address that i use for most everything and it gets 1000+ spam mails a day. totally ridiclous, but thats why i use it, that way my actual email wont be overwhelmed with them.

NoahBriggs
07-13-2007, 01:27 PM
i have an email address that i use for most everything and it gets 1000+ spam mails a day. totally ridiclous, but thats why i use it, that way my actual email wont be overwhelmed with them.

In other words, like the rest of us, you have a throwaway address which you use as a "spam sump", to keep your real address free and clear.

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Yep, you are absolutely right. :rolleyes:

Linda Trent
07-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I know I'm on several lists and forums on the internet, and I post my full name and email address everywhere. Heck, people who've never even lived into the 20th century but were relatively obscure can have their entire life unfold in just a matter of an hour or two by Googling. So I figure why not?

Spam? Well, if those Nigerian places are getting my email address off of the forums they're more clever than I thought. I get maybe 7-14 spam messages a week, and I don't use any form of spam blocker (I'll probably need to after this post though :cool:) , and I don't use a throwaway address. I get the occasional "sale" stuff from modern merchants and hotels that I've actually patronized, or if I've been inquiring about something that someone specializes in (most recently ultra-lite backpacking gear), or once in a blue moon an advertisement for well... um, anyway. :oops:

Personally, I just don't believe that the CW forums set us up for spamming, but I may just have been lucky over the last 9.5 years since we've had a computer.

If people wanna know where I live, they'll find out. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find someone, especially if they use the same username for more than one list or forum like I do. I figure I'll just use the delete key.

Linda Trent
lindatrent@zoomnet.net

Parault
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Dulcie,

I would definitely agree about not putting your phone number and/or address out there for everybody to see, for the very reasons you mentioned. But in the case of your e-mail address, and receiving unwanted messages, that's why they invented spam filters and the delete key.

I get a good number of e-mail messages every day. If I don't recognize an E-mail address or name, that message gets deleted. It only takes a minute. Although I really should contact that guy from Africa, who wants to send me a million dollars.
Mr Rodman You haven't got your check yet from Africa yet? Are they still trying to find someones bank account to place the money in? I got my money:wink:

tompritchett
07-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Mr Rodman You haven't got your check yet from Africa yet? Are they still trying to find someones bank account to place the money in? I got my money

Well, according to my emails I must have inherited at least 10 million dollars from various sources in England and won no telling how many millions from various lotteries. :wink: Needless to say all of those emails quickly find their way into my trash folder.

Rob
07-14-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm still waiting for the millions I was supposed to get from that Russian oil company... come on, comrades, your tovaritsch needs a new set of wheels. (No Yugos, please.)

bill watson
07-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Bill

Is this photo of my 5th NHV comrade Mike recent or the one from 1988?

http://brokenlanceenterprises.com/db3/00267/brokenlanceenterprises.com/_uimages/MikeMantini.JPG

Thanks,

Scott,

That's from Cross Keys, last spring. It's perfect because it's a candid shot those 5NHV guys took for the heck of it, not something we set up. He's the generic federal infantryman, 62-65. Mike was embarrassed but graciously allowed the photo to be used as a "demonstrator" for what a good impression looks like for the history-heavier events. It was the demo photo for this year's edition of McDowell and will be the model for Company I going in to September Storm, with a notation that a blanket roll instead of a knapsack is also acceptable.

Ephraim_Zook
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Ladies & Gents,

There is a simple way of getting around webcrawlers that grab your email address: Instead of using the "@" sign, post your address as "dingleberry22 AT flunkymail.com". A human will understand it.

Rob
07-14-2007, 12:17 PM
If you want to have a little bit of fun with these toads, lookee here:

http://www.hostedscripts.com/scripts/antispam.html :rolleyes:

NoahBriggs
07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Rob, you have an evil sense of humor regarding spammers. I love it!!

TheQM
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Mr Rodman You haven't got your check yet from Africa yet? Are they still trying to find someones bank account to place the money in? I got my money:wink:

LOL

Linda,

My experience is a lot like yours. AOL puts questionable e-mails in a separate spam folder, but a very few actually get through to my regular mail box. Not a real issue at all, and like you, my E-mail address is all over the place. Of course, so is everybody else's.

Huck Finn
07-14-2007, 08:46 PM
You'd put an entire cottage industry of bushwhacking from disguise out of business if this happened.

Although my pseudonym is rarely used for heated retort, it has been used to make unpopular points.

On the AC, there is usually little need to use anything other than your real name. Other than the occasional stumble-butt that thinks the AC is a "spoon feeding" forum, much of the conversation is either preservation or researched based.

On the OTB, everyone pretty much knows who the trolls are and, since there are no rules, they do not last long.

When this forum requires my name, I will decide then whether to conform.

From the "Big Muddy"

Memphis
07-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Huck,

You don't happen to have a copy of that hand holding graphic, do you? It is the one that features two hands being held together with the caption "I had my hand held on the Authentic Campaigner Forum." After I quite laughing I realized there may be a fairly good sized grain of truth in that.