PDA

View Full Version : Attention; Wal-Mart Shoppers

Longbranch 1
07-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Sorry, I just don't know where else this might fit.

Evidently Wal-Mart is phasing out all of their 'By the Yard " material.
Right now at a 25% discount.

If you know what you are looking for, they have always carried some of the same materials that some CW vendors charge a lot more for . A lot of times from the same manufacturer.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Regards,
Kevin Ellis

vicka
07-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Wallyworld has been a good source for hand woven (in India) cotton calico like fabric that is good for shirts, hat linings and the like.
Steve Sullivan

chatrbug
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
not all stores are doing that though. most are getting rid of their fabric and craft department. i know the one in my area is staying in business..

ElizabethClark
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Keep in mind that the fabrics sold to WalMart are not generally good base fabrics--manufacturers have traditionally put out multiple "grades" of the same print, differing in color saturation, registration, and the quality of the base fabric. Cheaper (in quality, not just price) fabrics may be ideal for some impressions, though, as the situation was similar in the mid-century.

Longbranch 1
07-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Sirs and Madames,

Well, I just thought I'd throw this out there. If for nothing else , Poke Sacks or lining materials, maybe Tapestry materials for CS Haversacks or Carpetbags. Cotton Ticking material for quite a few different items. The ticking material in particular, to my un-informed eye and touch, seems to stand up pretty well.

Thanks,
Kevin Ellis

Sarah Jane Meister
07-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know if there is a list of Wal-Marts that WILL be keeping their fabrics? I have two within a 20-30 minute drive and one already has no fabric but the other seems like they are maintaining their selection and even adding new fabrics. I'll be really sad if that one decides to get rid of their yardage too. :)

Sarah

RebeccaMI
07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
If all else fails, you could call that store and ask them.

13thKyCavCSA
07-10-2007, 12:18 PM
not all stores are doing that though. most are getting rid of their fabric and craft department. i know the one in my area is staying in business..

While your store may not have made the change, all are changing.