PDA

View Full Version : What's the best branch of service to be in?

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-06-2007, 05:47 PM
If I forgot any, there is an "other" option. And please, after you vote, post why you chose that answer. I chose Light Artillery because you don't have to run around all day (the physically unfit like that one). It doesn't cost as much to get a full uniform and a full set of equipment.

Frenchie
07-06-2007, 06:26 PM
If you're in the Army, the "poor, bloody infantry" is the best branch. You aren't as obvious a target, you're closely surrounded by lots of friends, and the cavalry and artillery don't stand a chance against you.

But the best service is the Navy. You ride to war, the food's better, you have nearly anything from cutlasses and boarding pikes up to huge guns. Until September 1st, 1862 (the blackest day in the history of the United States Navy), you had grog. Furthermore, nothing makes a man look as good as a "square-rigged" sailor suit. Last but not least,

PSALMS 107:23-30
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and His wonders in the deep. For He commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and He bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so He bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Huck Finn
07-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Frenchie, what you said.

major
07-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Cavalry!! we get to use the guns that are the most fun to shoot. And we get to talk to the spectators about them. There are always questions about the guns.

Memphis
07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
No love for the Confederate States Rocket Corps?

How about the Nitre Bureau?

Master the possibilities.

texyank
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a faint recollection of a system of inspection to ensure the "cleanliness" of the ladies of ill fame in one of those two towns.

What about service in the "inspections" department in Memphis or Nashville?

Yer pard,

Jason Hamby

hanktrent
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
How about the Nitre Bureau?

Been there, done that. The Nitre Bureau is where it's at! :p

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

tompritchett
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Although in real life I was an Armor officer (modern equivalent to cavalry, especially as used by Forrest), for CW reenacting it is definitely infantry. The Civil War was centered around the use of infantry to take and hold ground, again exception Forrest's use of cavalry. Essentially, all other land-based branches existed to provide support for the infantry. Of course, the Navy had its own mission of blockading ports, but when it came to the actual capture of Confederate ports, the Navy still had to rely on its infantry, the Marines, to go in and actual seize the forts.

rebelyell62
07-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Seeing how I chose to serve in the infantry (11B 11C)in real life.
It only seems natural that I serve with the infantry now.
But, I must admit, serving with a howitzer crew is a real close second.
I love the flash and bang!!!!

While on a field exercise in Puerto Rico, I had the luxury of dining in a naval mess hall. It was equivilent to a decent restaurant. Very good.

And while not all Army chow was bad. I'll never forget the 708th Maintainence Battalions food in Baumholder Germany! I swear you could lube an A.P.C. with all of the grease left on your plate!!!!!!!

Wendell

Linda Trent
07-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Well, if you mean in 1861-1865, I'd vote for the heavy artillery. Advertisements read in May 1863:

"All able bodied men between the ages of 18 and 45 years, who wish to go into the service of their country, and avoid the draft by volunteering, now have a fine opportunity of doing so-- the duty being light and easy, with good permanent quarters, and NO MARCHING or PICKET duty to perform.

$100 BOUNTY, with good clothing and rations, is allowed to everyone who enlists..."

Emphasis their's, not mine. Of course, less than a year later the same regiment marched through heavy snow and extreme cold over the mountains of Kentucky/Tennessee to Knoxville. I'd nail 'em for false advertising. :rolleyes:

However, reenacting wise I could never afford the heavy artillery, so I'd vote for other. Civilian. The forgotten branch of the military. Without the homefront, women, children, elderly, infirmed... what's there to fight for?

Just my two cents worth. :p

Linda.
great granddaughter of an infantryman whose
reg't was changed to heavy artillery.

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-07-2007, 09:21 AM
...and the cavalry and artillery don't stand a chance against you.

Yeah, you've got a point there, but we got da big guns! Yeah! Ba-boom! That's why I joined the artillery, for the big guns!

Rob
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
The navy has some pretty big guns, too...

:rolleyes:

tompritchett
07-07-2007, 11:28 AM
The navy has some pretty big guns, too...

But is limited to where they can deploy them. Something to do with water and water depth if I remember correctly. :)

jda3rd
07-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Light Artillery? Don't have to run around all day? It costs as much for uniforms, and yes, by golly, we do have to run around all day, with packs and/or bedrolls, canteens and haversacks. When we aren't running to keep up with the teams, we're grooming, cleaning harness, drilling on the gun, feeding, watering, grooming, resting, grooming, drilling on the gun . . .

The only time we get to ride on the chests is if the battery has to move in a hurry.

But, for all that, there's no place like the artillery. I love it.

Frank Brower

Parault
07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Nothing like the infantry. No horse to take care of, no artillery piece to contend with,no worries. Just throw your blanket on the ground,and WALLA...... home. Just go where they tell you to,Take care of your rifle.

Rob Weaver
07-08-2007, 04:44 AM
Infantry is where it's at for reenacting. The individual has everything necessary for the impression, no unit equipment needed. You can pack all of your gear in the backseat of any automobile, and reenactments always need more of you. If you're frugal, you can make a pound of powder last for a half-dozen events. If you're really good at it, it will keep you motivated to stay in reasonably good physical shape.
I was very influenced by an old editorial by Jonah Begone in which he implored those of us who did specialty impressions to get back into the infantry if at all possible, so I did.

MtVernon
07-08-2007, 08:58 AM
When I was 12 I saw Top Gun and was convinced that being a Navy Pilot was the only thing worth doing in the entire military and would scoff at other jobs/branches, covering half my bedroom with posters of Navy jets. Air Force? Please, don't embarrass yourself.

When I was 16, I was convinced that being a Marine or a Navy Seal (equivalent in my mind) was the only thing to be and that the Army and Air Force were for those who couldn't hack it in the 'real' branches that got it done and made men from boys. The Army was for misfits and rejects and the Air Force was for hemophiliacs and nerds (like what many of my friends think of us reenactors!). The other half of my bedroom was covered in Marine Corps posters.

At some point I realized that in an over-arching sense, there is no 'better' or 'worse' today, and the same applies to the 1860's. We need nerds and GIs as much as we need Marines and pilots (from all branches). This business of comparing Air Force to the Marine Corps is as much apples and oranges as Cavalry compared to Heavy Artillery. They both served as different limbs on the same body, and just as your body won't function right without all it's parts, big and small, noticeable and unnoticeable, so too the war would not have been won without the artillery, infantry, cavalry, navy, and yes, politicians all working in their respective fields to achieve the same ultimate goal.

This question presents a false distinction. The infantry made a better infantry than the artillery. The navy made a better navy than the cavalry. There is no overall 'better'.

FranklinGuardsNYSM
07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
But is limited to where they can deploy them. Something to do with water and water depth if I remember correctly. :)

Maryland Heights, anyone...?

Memphis
07-08-2007, 11:27 AM
...or the naval guns employed at Port Hudson by the Confederates.

7WVaCranston
07-08-2007, 07:07 PM
When I was 12 I saw Top Gun and was convinced that being a Navy Pilot was the only thing worth doing in the entire military and would scoff at other jobs/branches, covering half my bedroom with posters of Navy jets. Air Force? Please, don't embarrass yourself.

When I was 16, I was convinced that being a Marine or a Navy Seal (equivalent in my mind) was the only thing to be and that the Army and Air Force were for those who couldn't hack it in the 'real' branches that got it done and made men from boys. The Army was for misfits and rejects and the Air Force was for hemophiliacs and nerds (like what many of my friends think of us reenactors!). The other half of my bedroom was covered in Marine Corps posters.

At some point I realized that in an over-arching sense, there is no 'better' or 'worse' today, and the same applies to the 1860's. We need nerds and GIs as much as we need Marines and pilots (from all branches). This business of comparing Air Force to the Marine Corps is as much apples and oranges as Cavalry compared to Heavy Artillery. They both served as different limbs on the same body, and just as your body won't function right without all it's parts, big and small, noticeable and unnoticeable, so too the war would not have been won without the artillery, infantry, cavalry, navy, and yes, politicians all working in their respective fields to achieve the same ultimate goal.

This question presents a false distinction. The infantry made a better infantry than the artillery. The navy made a better navy than the cavalry. There is no overall 'better'.

I'm glad you put into words my exact thoughts...it's not neccessarily "which is best?", but rather "Which is the most appealling to you?"

"Doc" Nelson
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
. . I voted for Medical. And the reason I voted for it is, its an aspect of the War that's not really taught during events. Even though there are those of us that portray Surgeons or other medical staff positions . . it is nowhere near as large as the Infantry impression. Portraying a Surgeon, also allows me the opportunity to understand what my GGG Grandfather may have faced or did face, during the War.

first_sgt_8thky
07-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I picked Infantry cause I'm in it. ha I don't have a cannon. My stick horse is broken. Didn't go to school for a year and half to be a Doctor either. Not enough money to be an officer and don't own a battleship.
Really though, it's fun, you don't half to have a lot of extras. I've helped on cannon before and I don't mind doing it every now and then. However I'm a little uneasy around them. Guess my mind thinks I'm going to loose a hand or something. ha Thing is, do whatever you like with honor and have fun.

Gary
07-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Medical. Changing bedpans and helping someone eat is safer than being shot at. Besides, you get better food too!

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Light Artillery? Don't have to run around all day? It costs as much for uniforms, and yes, by golly, we do have to run around all day, with packs and/or bedrolls, canteens and haversacks. When we aren't running to keep up with the teams, we're grooming, cleaning harness, drilling on the gun, feeding, watering, grooming, resting, grooming, drilling on the gun...

My unit doesn't run around all day. Wait... grooming? I guess your battery has horses. My unit's budget doesn't expand quite THAT far.

bob 125th nysvi
07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
we get to make fun of the rest of you and if things turn ugly there are more of us on hand to deal with the situation.

A truism my father learned first hand during the Korean War. Except in his case, given time and place it was the navy that was the best.

The place was Norfolk Va, a little dive filled with navy enlisted and a couple of Army privates who were foolish enough to get both drunk and loud (Dad being in the party). When asked to quiet down, one of the boys in kahki was foolish enough to stand up and say: "You see all these pretty white uniforms! I'm going to take them outside and make them into a snowbank!"

Needless to say with in a very brief time span the kahki party had been overwhelmed and forceably evicted from the place and not by the front door either.

And who ever saw more than 5 artillery/cavalry guys together in one spot anyway. See we get to make fun of you to your faces AND we get away with it.

TimKindred
07-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Comrades,

I spent my first 25 years of reenacting in the Infantry. Great times, great folks, easy life, more or less.

Then I realised that the Medical Department was in charge of all those stocks of medicinal brandy...... they also had all the good drugs... :D

It's a job...

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-09-2007, 05:33 PM
And who ever saw more than 5 artillery/cavalry guys together in one spot anyway. See we get to make fun of you to your faces AND we get away with it.

Um, I did! Apparently, you haven't been to too many big reenactments! And guess what, my senior officers and I make fun of you guys all the time!

White Horse
07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
If you ain't got a horse, your just another guy walking...

AND if your horse is pretty enough the chicks dig it!:rolleyes:

bob 125th nysvi
07-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Um, I did! Apparently, you haven't been to too many big reenactments! And guess what, my senior officers and I make fun of you guys all the time!

remember who has to save you're pasty little white but^s and heavy iron the next time reb infantry or cavalry comes along.

At least we can get out of the way!

bob 125th nysvi
07-15-2007, 08:24 AM
If you ain't got a horse, your just another guy walking...

AND if your horse is pretty enough the chicks dig it!:rolleyes:

40 of them which is why I choose to walk.

And remember the chicks are digging the horse not you.

Whereas if they pay attention to us there ain't anything else to credit it too!

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-15-2007, 12:24 PM
remember who has to save you're pasty little white but^s and heavy iron the next time reb infantry or cavalry comes along.

At least we can get out of the way!

Yeah, we don't have to get out of the way. We just blast them into pink mist!

White Horse
07-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Whereas if they pay attention to us there ain't anything else to credit it too!

Let me know when that happens....;-)