PDA

View Full Version : long forum loading time?

bill watson
04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Does anyone else experience long loading time for just the Military -- General Discussion part of this board? It can take four minutes or more. None of the other parts of the board take more than a couple of seconds.

MStuart
04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Bill:

I've had absolutely zero problems with loading anything since switching to a broadband ISP (if dial-up loading is even the problem). The differences between dial-up and broadband are like night and day. Unfortunately, so is the price........sigh

To answer your question specifically, all the forums load perfectly well on my end.

Mark

bill watson
04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Mark,

I'm not on dialup, so it must be something else. I've heard from others who say they are having the same problem. What baffles me is that the other parts of the board, say the civilian forum, load instantly. So I'm at a loss to say what settings on my end might be involved, since some of it works perfectly.

dionys_5
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Bill,
I have dsl, and I am having exactly the same problem as you. But today, when I clicked on it, it opened up right away for the first time. Maybe something has been fixed now?

John Mayer

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Hallo!

Nope, no problems on my Verizon DSL. It appears in about half a second.

(My wife and daughter gave me the Verizon DSL for Chrismouse on a standing $14.95 a month deal that went along with some new PC guts and 1 Gig of RAM. I was paying $24 for AOL dial-up, and between that and my PC I was waiting as long as 1-3 minutes for screens to appear. Not to mention 4-20 minutes for shared pictures and image heavy websites to appear...)

Although, I assume it is a "WWW" thing but do not know...
Some daze things pop up instantly, some days a second.
Some one said that the speed might be attributed to old phone lines and rainy or wet days versus dry days. I suppose I should make note of the weather on the slow days... but with the new DSL a full or 3/4 second delay compared to minutes before seems not worth fussing about. :-)
Things did slow down and stop, when it was discovered that squirrels had chewed along a 4 foot section of phone line stripping the insulation down to the copper wires.. :-(

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

dedogtent
04-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I have Comcast high speed internet service and it can load anything instantly so something is wrong here as I have the same problem as Bill Watson. The only way the Military Discussion loads very fast is in the 'Thread View' selection.

MStuart
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
John:

You may be on to something. I've got Comcast broadband, too, and I have no problems.

Gremlins......!!!!!!!! Did someone feed their Mogwi after midnight?

Mark

Xth_Legion
04-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Here I thought is was just me having this problem. I have Road Runner High Speed Internet through my cable service. It seems to take forever to load. So it is not just you having this problem.
(Tried flat and thread, still loads the same with both)
Tom Klein

cblodg
04-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Bill;

When you first get to the Lobby screen, choose the most recent message option by clicking on the little paper. When that page loads, go up to the top and select "flat view".

The thread view loads every single link to every response and can take time with the 200+ posts.

try this and tell me if it worked.

Chris

FWL
04-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Bill I've had the exact same problem and I have HS cable modem. See my comments under New User there is a parallel thread. The button has to be set on thread view. If you try to open in flat view it takes forever. I open a smaller topic than Military Discussion switvh the button from flat to thread then go back to Military an it opens in a second. It takes forever to open in flat view.

Don't think it has to do with modum speed I have a very fast modum. Everything else opens fast AC forum, videos ect. except for Military discussion when its set to flat view.

FRank Lilley

sbl
04-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Bill,

I tried logging in 1st when nothing would load. It works for my PC at work and Home. DSL for both.

ley74
04-09-2006, 09:00 PM
So, is this what is going wrong? I thought everyone was on spring break.

bill watson
04-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I may have whupped it by changing to "flat" view IN THE PROFILE settings......

dedogtent
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Very strange...my computer loads the page in the 'Thread View' the fastest. I guess whatever works for everyone...

Ephraim_Zook
04-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Bill,

I've had this same problem from day 1. It's only the Military General Discussion forum, it's only CW Reenactors.com, and it doesn't matter if I am home (broadband) or at work (T3).

Flat view / thread view doesn't seem to make much difference either.

Ron

indguard
04-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem with a VERY long loading time.

I am on a T1 line at work and DSL at home, so connection is NO issue for me.

But, when I log in and check while logged in, it goes fine. If I try to look through the board when NOT logged in it takes forever to load,

WTH

TheQM
04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Bill W,

I have the same problem. Sometimes I can't get in at all. The loading starts and then stops half way there. I have dial-up and figured that was the problem, but it seems that isn't the issue.

ley74
04-11-2006, 10:20 PM
When I log in first, there is no delay.

shoulderedarms1861
04-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Same as many here. T-1 here at work and RR Cable at home smoking speed except this site more specific the military forum. I posted a thread back in the Whine Cellar about it when the new site came back on.

Must be somethig to do with the software. Anyway, I guess we get what we pay for and I think the forum itself provides us all a very valuable service and Mr. Szabo and the moderators do a very fine job.

R.C.Tarbox

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Hallo!

HEY!!!!!!
It must be contagious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today it is taking 5-20 seconds for each page to load!
:-( :-(

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

tompritchett
04-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Been seeing it very quickly after the board came up. I have cable at home and DSL at both work locations. I agreed with the post that the loading time is most likely associated with the number of links that have to be computed before the post loads. I tried the trick about viewing only the unread messages and while it does indeed load much faster, I find it viewing messages causes one to lose much of the continuity of the original threads. The best solution that I have found is once I initially open the the Military Discussion thread, I then open a separate tab (Netscape function) for each topic with new messages (windows for those using Internet Explorer). That way I never have to go back to the initial Military Discussion view, which is the only place that I see the delay. Also, when I initially open the Discussion, I usually have another software package (email program or game) or another forum tabbed that I can go to while waiting for that initial loading of the discussion forum.

Just a few suggestions.

TheQM
04-18-2006, 08:58 PM
What ever the problem was, it seems to be fixed. The discussion folder is now loading as quickly as any of the other folders and I'm using a nasty old dial-up modem. :roll:

indguard
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
...dial-up modem

Dial up modem!??

You ARE recreating ancient history!

:lol:

TheQM
04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
[quote]

You ARE recreating ancient history!

I AM ancient history! :roll:

tompritchett
04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
No ancient history are the old external audio modems where you took the phone receiver and literally inserted it into the modem so that the computers could literally talk to each other. Of course there were also the old teletype machines with paper tape backups.

tompritchett
04-19-2006, 08:45 AM
Not quite. Although it appears to have gotten better it still took a couple of minutes to initially load and another couple of minutes when I returned back to the opening listing of threads.

Ephraim_Zook
04-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Today (20 Apr) it's dead slow again.

Frenchie_2006
04-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I've been watching for slow loading and it hasn't happened yet. I'm on Verizon DSL.