PDA

View Full Version : Period Books

Starbuck
04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I was wondering why some period books had two titles? I can't think of a specific example off the top of my head, but the format is: ABC OR XYZ. Thanks for your help!

Nathan Anderson

BobSullivanPress
04-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Hello,

Now that I have my sign-in problems straightened out, I can answer.

Most non-fiction books today still do. It's just that they tend not to copyright them that way. I'm looking at a book right now called "What Smart Trainers Know", and then in smaller print "The Secrets of Success from the World's Formost Experts." While you may debate the veracity of this book, the fact is, it has two titles.

The act of two-titling works of fiction died out and I'm not sure when. But it still exists in non-fiction today.

mossrose04
05-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Mr. Sullivan is correct, as usual. Actually, books in the mid-19thc. often had THREE titles: The actual, or copyrighted title on the title page; the sub-title, often a long and drawn out description of the book placed also on the title page, and a third "teaser" title embossed on the cover or the spine. This was often an abbreviation of the real title, but sometimes did not even come close. It's very confusing when trying to document a book from the era, but always go with the first title on the title page.

The other irritating thing that 19thc. authors and publishers did was to abbreviate first names such as "S.T.M. Slender ", or just "S.T.M.S.". Female writers often listed as "A Lady" or used a male "non de plume", to keep their name out of print. In older books, especially library copies, you often see a name written in in pencil on the title page. The librarians did that to track who the actual writer was, was opposed to the abbreviation or made-up name they chose to use.

(Once a librarian, always a librarian...)

Karen Rae Mehaffey