PDA

View Full Version : Enfields

bob 125th nysvi
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking of acquiring an Enfield (my unit was origianlly issued enfields).

I'm looking for personal experiences, both good and bad, from Enfield owners both about the supplier and the weapon itself (please include manufacturer). To help me make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance

Bob Sandusky
Co C 125th NYSVI
Esperance, NY

flattop32355
04-05-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking of acquiring an Enfield (my unit was origianlly issued enfields).
I'm looking for personal experiences, both good and bad, from Enfield owners both about the supplier and the weapon itself (please include manufacturer). To help me make an informed decision.

Depends on whether you're talking about one off the rack or one that's been defarbed. Prices seem to be similar whoever you buy new from off the rack. More variation for the defarbed ones.

As for Armisport or Euroarms, I have one of each and both perform about the same. Less clogging up than my '63 Springfield. Both were bought used from folks off various forums.

rebelyell62
04-06-2006, 05:32 AM
I bought a 1st generation Parker Hale 2 bander from the NSSA classifieds a little while ago. That rifled musket shoots better than I do, it'll shoot the X ring all day long.
I also have an Enfield musketoon ( Euroarms) bought new from DGW. If you look around, and are patient, you can find them in the $3-$400.00 range
Good luck and good shootin'

Jim Mayo
04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Some of the early repros had incorrect bands and were very clunky. Make sure if you buy a used one you do not get one of these.

major
04-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Bob
Check out this site for a defarbed Enfield.
http://members.verizon.net/~vze3jhwa/
Terry

cblodg
04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Bob;

I own and ArmiSport Enfield that I purchased blued from the rack. I removed the blueing (my own preference yes I know they did come blued) and plan on reworking the sotck and having the barrel defarbed sometime in the near future.

From what I have felt, the ArmiSport seems to be a lot lighter than the Euroarms.

The only problem that I have encountered with mine is constant firing tends to clog up the cone. A simple solution to that is to bring it ot the gun smith and have him bore out the hole a *little* bit.

Cleaning is actually simple given the fewer screws you have to take out the better, especially in the field. I personally need to find a source for screw on jags for my ram rod.

Chris

bob 125th nysvi
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
For the info so far guys.

I was looking for info and reliability and satisfaction and you certainly supplied that.

I knew about my Springfield clogging more than the Enfields. I believe it has to do more with the original's design of the flash channel than any inherent problem with the design of the "modern" weapons.

I haven't considered getting a defrabed version but I'll have to add that to the mix.

Thanks again

Bob Sandusky
125th NYSVI
Esperance NY

marcstephen
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:13 pm** *Post subject: Re: Enfields
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob
Check out this site for a defarbed Enfield.
http://members.verizon.net/~vze3jhwa/
Terry

If I were buying a new Enfield I would buy one from the above link. I wish I knew about him earlier.

My $.02

13thKyCavCSA
04-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Maybe Terry can explain to us like a good salesman should, why his Enfields are better than Lodgewood's or James River Armory's. I am in the market for two new Enfield's for me and my son and the choices available now are overwhelming. Zimmerman, Lodgewood, James River armory, Company Quartermaster, Blockade Runner and the list continues to grow. Also, do you defarb 1842 Springfields ?

major
04-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Ben
I have been doing it for over 10 years now. Longer than most of the others but it is a hobby business for me, I donít do it full time. Because it is a hobby I can take my time do it right and not worry too much about the monetary aspects of it. I have spent a considerable amount of time and money to get the correct equipment. It is amazing how expensive little things can be. Most of my customers come from word of mouth and I have never had one returned because they were unhappy with it. I just started doing blued ones and that has been a real trip. But it is a labor of love, itís something I enjoy doing and it helps the reenacting community to improve their impressions. An explanation of what I do is on my web site. http://members.verizon.net/~vze3jhwa/ I know it is a weird address but thatís what you get for free space (again it is just a hobby). Hope this helps you.
Terry

13thKyCavCSA
04-10-2006, 09:03 AM
The blueing is definitley a plus. I saw one of your weapons that you did for a fellow at an event in Md. and it was definitley pretty. Now, If I can find some good slings everything will come together nicely.

Jim Mayo
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
http://www.kabar44.com/accoutrement.htm

Richmond Depot has the correct English sling. I have also seen an original enfield with the CS canvas sling.

Jim Mayo

major
04-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Ben
What about this sling? I would be interested in you opinion.
http://members.verizon.net/%7Evze3jhwa/Sling2.jpg

Jim Mayo
04-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Major: I remember your sling from the discussion on the AC fourm. I see you have added the brass buckle. Good job! The only aspect of enfield slings I could address with some sort of confidence and first hand knowledge is the buckle. They appear to be cast. After the discussion on the AC I made some inquirys on some of the relic hunting fourms I visit. These enfield sling buckles have been found in Western and Eastern theater of operations. The recovery trend seems to be from early to mid war sites. For years no one knew what the buckles were used for.

Recently I found a picture of a three band enfield with a CS cotton sling attached. It was in one of the pictures taken around Ft. Mahone in April of 65. That may shed some light on what the Confederates were using for slings late in the war (when they had slings).