PDA

View Full Version : fan front bodice

cw_girl83
05-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Can anyone tell me more about the fan front bodice on a dress? Just wondering what the documentation is on it and how prominent it was. Also any opinions or input about it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

chatrbug
05-26-2007, 05:56 AM
just look at CDVs, ive seen it the most. one of these days i may make me one.

Sarah Jane Meister
05-26-2007, 07:32 AM
In my book "Patterns of Fashion 1" (p. 67) by Janet Arnold there is an 1850's dress with a fan front bodice. It is dated 1852-1856. It's *very* pretty, one of the interesting things about it is that the description says there is an indentical dress to this one in a seperate museum, suggesting this was a ready-made dress. I've used the same concept of some of my dresses, except have made the waist straight across instead of pointed or curved.

Sarah

ElizabethClark
05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Fans show up in the 1840s, 1850s, and 1860s--but they change in shapes, fullness, and style all through that range, and by the 60s, they're not *the* most prominant shape anymore (they're the most graceful with a pointed front bodice, and combined with a slightly higher 60's waist, and very round waist shapes, it can look truncated and blocky unless handled carefully in a 60s dress.)

Is there a particular image or shape you're wanting to work toward?

cw_girl83
05-26-2007, 06:37 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a dress from someone made this way, with a fan front bodice. I tried it on but the front it very "bubbly" and I guess it's just because it doesn't fit me correctly. I was just wondering if this style was used a lot or if I should stick more with gathered bodice styles which is what most of my work dresses are.

ElizabethClark
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
For the 60s, you'll do just fine with gathered-front dresses. To avoid the poofy bubble in the front, the length has to be adjusted to your own body length pretty carefully. It definitely can be done, but it usually involves remaking the bodice to some degree.

cw_girl83
05-27-2007, 03:12 PM
yes I figured that much, I think I will pass on this dress for now, it's not really best for my body type and Ill just stick to the gathered style. Thanks.