PDA

View Full Version : Green Medical Officers Sword Knot

Jas. Cox
05-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Has anyone ever seen or know where to get a green medical officers' sword knot? I have only ever seen anything about them in The Pictorial History of the Civil War: Medical Instruments and Equipment by Dammann, Gordon Volume I, page 83, top image.

NoahBriggs
05-13-2007, 03:58 PM
According to the regs, page 484, "1524 - for all other officers -gold lace strap with gold bullion tassel."

This particular knot looks like an exception to the rule; ie, a custom job for a particular surgeon.

I have not seen anyone make a repro of this particular sword knot.

Jas. Cox
05-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Good thing I already have a gold one then. Do you know how it would attach to a Medical Staff (Model 1840) sword? I found one photo that looks like it is under the hilt somehow. http://www.braceface.com/medical/Civil_War_Surgeons_swords_and_images/Civil%20War%20Images/PJ%20surg%20campbell.jpg

In most images I don't see one used at all.

NoahBriggs
05-14-2007, 04:30 AM
That's a good question. Here's my answer - I dunno! :( I don't have a sword or belt, and I am "retiring" from 20 years of military reenacting.

(We can tell I don't have a Ph.D or work as a Fox News consultant because "I don't know" is in my vocabulary. ;) )