PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas what this may be?

"Doc" Nelson
05-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I have this instrument / tool and, have no idea what it may be. Does anyone have any idea or thoughts on what this may be? There is only a symbol, no words, on one side of the item. My first thought was, maybe a dental instument, of some kind. I've reseached it, through the reference material I have and, couldn't find anything. I've also tried "browsing" the internet and, couldn't find anything there either?? Thanks for looking.

NoahBriggs
05-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Got dimensions? That might help.

hanktrent
05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
The handle has the look of the handles that you find on tools in personal-care kits. One thing that occurs to me would be a cuticle pusher. They're still made in a similar shape today:

http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?ProductID=838

Or, possibly, an ear wax spoon. I don't know how common they were in metal, but here's an example of an all ivory one from eBay, the bottom tool in the three-way combination instrument: http://cgi.ebay.com/1800s-IVORY-GENTLEMANS-PERSONAL-HYGIENE-SET-TOOTHPICK_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ160088969636

Hopefully somebody can identify that symbol on it, as that would go a long way toward at least getting the general context of medical instrument company, grooming company, or who knows--artist's supply? Carving tool?

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

tompritchett
05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Actually it reminds me of an old fashioned scupula - used to scoop chemicals out of a bottle.

Frenchie
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
The trademark is interesting and totally unfamiliar to me. Maybe you can find out the name of the manufacturer through the US Patent Office and go from there.

Micah Trent
05-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Actually it reminds me of an old fashioned scupula - used to scoop chemicals out of a bottle.

I agree with you Tom. It looks very similar to the chemical scoop that you see with chemistry sets.

An interesesting find you do have there Doc!

tompritchett
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
The trademark is interesting and totally unfamiliar to me.

It looks like the old Greek and/or Roman water wheels.