PDA

View Full Version : A Long Wait For Williamsburg, VA

Micah Trent
05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I saw this yesterday and thought I would pass it along to you all. It is a great addition to Williamsburg! I'm glad to see them try to preserve some of the land which was fought on. Check out the link below.

http://www.fox43tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6461829

What do you all think?

sbl
05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I was down that way last summer and was pleased to see the efforts for the 400th at the various Virginia sites. These were Colonial Williamsburg, the President's homes and Rev-War sites. Hope something goes to the CW sites too. The NPS sites looked a little shabby .

reb64
05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
I saw this yesterday and thought I would pass it along to you all. It is a great addition to Williamsburg! I'm glad to see them try to preserve some of the land which was fought on. Check out the link below.

http://www.fox43tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6461829

What do you all think?

as a kid we knew alot of the "rev war" earthworks were civ war, and in the woods are many redoubts, lines forts etc. always protected somewhat by park rules. a great fort in fort eustis, warwick river, newport news parks. so much unknown or unseen by many all these years. they made for great exploring

Micah Trent
05-08-2007, 09:32 AM
I know they focus more on the colonial period there, but it is great to see them at least acknowledging and preserving an area where the CW was fought.
It's ashame that where many areas of the peninsula campaign was fought, those areas are overlooked by the colonial and revolutionary war era. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just that there were other hostorical matters that happened there need attention as well.

reb64
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I know they focus more on the colonial period there, but it is great to see them at least acknowledging and preserving an area where the CW was fought.
It's ashame that where many areas of the peninsula campaign was fought, those areas are overlooked by the colonial and revolutionary war era. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just that there were other hostorical matters that happened there need attention as well.

the reasoning is there are hundreds of cvi war battle sites in va but only a few rev war, especially the climatic battle site

Gloryatagallop
05-18-2007, 07:26 PM
As a soldier stationed at Ft Eustis I sought out all the civil war sites in the local area. My travels lead me to Williamsburg. There are several works there that are in excellent condition from the old Williamsburg line ,some on Yorktown Parkway and private property and some owned by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. For several years the attendance at Williamsburg had dropped and the Foundation dropped some big $$$ to bring the tourist back. It is my belief that Williamsburg is a big enough town to share the two important roles/parts that they played in history. By enhancing and drawing attention to the important part that Williamsburg played in the peninsula campaign it would increase tourist dollars. If I still lived in the area, I would be campaigning to do so. By covering two periods of history Williamsburg would gain alot. Lee Hall and Endview Plantation are Wins for Newport News.

YOS

John C

Gary
05-20-2007, 09:22 AM
One of the Civil War period redoubts is on Yorktown Colonial Park land, but since they concentrate on the first Siege of Yorktown, no interpretative effort has been made on their Civil War redoubt. It's visible from Colonial Parkway (if you know what to look for).

Micah Trent
05-24-2007, 10:27 AM
One of the Civil War period redoubts is on Yorktown Colonial Park land, but since they concentrate on the first Siege of Yorktown, no interpretative effort has been made on their Civil War redoubt. It's visible from Colonial Parkway (if you know what to look for).

This might be the same thing I was looking for when I was there last year. One of the workers at Yortown said that you could see redoubts in 2 or 3 locations along the Colonial Parkway. I drove past that area 3 times and never saw it and I am pretty good at noticing earthworks...oh well, maybe next time.

Gloryatagallop
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Did a general search of the Web and found this information as well. Has Dedication video etc. This is a good start, I hope they will press on and save other works in the area.

http://www.ci.williamsburg.va.us/dept/rec/parks.htm#redoubt

Micah Trent
05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Gloryatagallop,
Thanks for the video link! Good stuff.

Rob Weaver
05-27-2007, 12:45 PM
That fairly small piece of land has played host to a lot of American history. When you say "the colonial period," realize that it wasn't a mere 4 years like "the Civil War period," nor was it limited to "the Yorktown Campaign." You're talking about 250 years of history before the Civil War even begins. Wow - literally every river inlet and grass hummock potentially could be historically significant. If you've got $$ to drop on preservation there, the huge question of what to preserve looms.