PDA

View Full Version : Medical Library?

"Doc" Nelson
04-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Well,
I'm looking at purchasing some period medical manuals and, was wondering what each other's thoughts are, on manuals? I'm looking at purchasing "A Manual of Military Surgery: For the Use of the Surgeons in the Confederate States Army, by J.J. Chisholm". I have quite a few in "pdf" format, saved to my computer. But, would rather have a printed copy. If you'd prefer to not post your thoughts on this forum, for fear of an "unwanted" person to bash your response (but, hopefully they will remain "outside the walls" of this Medical Conference) . . you're welcome to "PM" me. Thanks for your time. ;)

NoahBriggs
04-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Physical manuals are nice to have in the field to consult when a spectator has a specific question, and your access to a PDF is limited. :p They are also good bedside reading in the evening. Ever try to read one by candlelight? It's period correct and enlightening.

Can't speak for the Confederate Army, but the Aurentieth Wagon in the US Army was supposed to be stocked with a couple of titles. I forgot what they were, though.

Marc
04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Well,
I'm looking at purchasing some period medical manuals and, was wondering what each other's thoughts are, on manuals? I'm looking at purchasing "A Manual of Military Surgery: For the Use of the Surgeons in the Confederate States Army, by J.J. Chisholm". I have quite a few in "pdf" format, saved to my computer. But, would rather have a printed copy. If you'd prefer to not post your thoughts on this forum, for fear of an "unwanted" person to bash your response (but, hopefully they will remain "outside the walls" of this Medical Conference) . . you're welcome to "PM" me. Thanks for your time. ;)

I own the book by Chisholm and it is a great book especially on the various procedures used by both sides. Very good illustrations also..highly recommend this one.

Micah Trent
04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Doc,

There is a bookstore, in Frankfort, that has 1st edition medical manuals & books dating 1850's and 1860's. I saw them when I was there just a few weeks ago. I cannot think of the name of the place...I can get that though...It is located across the street from the Old State Capital and the Kentucky Historical Society. You might want to check there;) Prices ranged from $40 a book to $180.

NoahBriggs
04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Museum of CW Medicine sells some of the manuals last I checked.

I don't have it in front of me but I bookmarked a website which sells repop manuals fromm $60 - $200, depending.

"Doc" Nelson
04-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I looked at Amazon.com and, they have a few listed. That's about the only place that I've found . . well, that has decent prices. ;)

capt_doc
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
try Normanpublishing San Francisico, CA.

cwdoc45
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Try Morningside press 260 Oak Street, Dayton, OH. 45410. The reprint was done in 1992 by this publisher. The copy is the 1864 edition of Chisolm's book. I bought mine from them. The illustrations in the back scan well & can be blown up to show the public.

Micah Trent
07-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry to pull this thread out of the closet but, but I remembered this discussion from last year, so I had to post.
Recently in an old bookstore in Owensboro, KY, I came across the Chisolm book for $60.00. Unfortunately it had no front cover and had some really bad water damage to it with some pages not readable. It was mixed in with a few other medical books dating back to the 1870's to early 1900's.

By the way Doc, did you ever find any good materials?

hta1970
07-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Jimmy,

The 3rd edition version of the Chisolm manual is good for research if you are doing a Confederate impression, but if you are doing federal I'd look for manuals which were in use with the US Army.

Also, for anyone doing Confederate the morningside press edition is not the proper side or binding to be brought to the field. Better to stick with items which look more like the originals that that version.

Micah Trent
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Better to stick with items which look more like the originals

Excellent point. I have notices lately at several events, dealing with different impressions, wether medical, infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc., there are more and more paperback and cheap made books htting the field, mainly because that is what is affordable and available in the sutler tents. It sort of takes away from the impression. Better to by hardback reprints if available.
Just my penny and a half. Cheers!

Jas. Cox
07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Excellent point. I have notices lately at several events, dealing with different impressions, wether medical, infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc., there are more and more paperback and cheap made books htting the field, mainly because that is what is affordable and available in the sutler tents. It sort of takes away from the impression. Better to by hardback reprints if available.

Has anyone ever tired stripping out the innards of a inexpensive, plain cover, period looking hardback book or leather bound journal and gluing in one of the paperback versions (Like a Playboy stuck in a Boy's Life)? I know it still wouldn't be "authentic," but maybe a little better looking? I've never tried it, but just a thought.

Micah Trent
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Has anyone ever tired stripping out the innards of a inexpensive, plain cover, period looking hardback book or leather bound journal and gluing in one of the paperback versions (Like a Playboy stuck in a Boy's Life)? I know it still wouldn't be "authentic," but maybe a little better looking? I've never tried it, but just a thought.

It may work. Personally for me, I wouldn't. I'd rather save up and go ahead and get the hardback copy reprint, but again, that is just me.
I have seen some people reproduce some excellent works with old plain covers. I mean, some of them you cannot tell thay have rigged it up unles to you do an up-close inspection.

fred franze
07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Try to get hold of a copy of Bollet's book. This is just like a medical text, excellent, very informative.
Fred Franze

"Doc" Nelson
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I apologize for a late response. I haven't been on here in quite some time.

At any rate, regarding the statement . . I wouldn't go with the cheap-o repros. But that's me. I say, if you cannot buy originals or, very excellent repros . . don't go with books/manuals at all. Just use the ruse: "my medical library is in the baggage train" or something.

I have notices lately at several events, dealing with different impressions, wether medical, infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc., there are more and more paperback and cheap made books htting the field, mainly because that is what is affordable and available in the sutler tents. It sort of takes away from the impression. Better to by hardback reprints if available.
I very much agree with both you and Harry. I think in the end, you will find more satisfaction from your impression by, "doing" your impression as authentically as possible. Plus, you won't be laughed at by some spectator (who happens to be a "student" of the Civil War).

Micah Trent
08-13-2008, 09:10 AM
At an event I attended recently, I noticed a medical display set up next to this groups tent (one of the worse I have ever seen). As I approached, there was a demonstration going on for the public ( I think a procedure where they were suppose to be removing a minnie ball from the arm of a manican:confused: ) and I couldn't help but to notice four paperback medical book reprints sitting out that I have seen sutlers sell.
As the procedure continued on this quiet and motionless manican, an older man next to the table said real loud, "Hey, those ain't actual medical books are they? They look like something I could print off my computer." The man doing the procedure stopped what he was doing, looked at the man who made the point with this look to kill and said, "Well, I can't afford the real McCoy's." Needless to say that surgeon or whatever he was trying to protray was ticked for the next few hours. I am surprsied that older man didn't say anything about that manican. It looked more like those "Fred the CPR dummy's".
Doc, you are correct that the audiance are students of the CW. They too can also tell cheap-o from something more realistic.