PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bottles

Delia Godric
04-24-2007, 09:05 AM
My sister-in-law has found an old house foundation on thier new property. Around the foundation, she is finding all sorts of glass bottles. For her birthday I would like to pick her up a good book to look her finds up in. I thought there might be someone here that is knowledgable of 1800s bottles who would have some title suggestions.

If any of her finds are pre-war, I may be able to post pictures.

Anna Worden

MAryland Field Hospital
04-24-2007, 04:11 PM
here is what i found at the book store last summer , there wasnt much in the way of bottle books :(

The Collector's Guide to Civil War Period Bottles and Jars
By Mike Russell

Micah Trent
04-26-2007, 05:53 PM
My sister-in-law has found an old house foundation on thier new property. Around the foundation, she is finding all sorts of glass bottles. For her birthday I would like to pick her up a good book to look her finds up in. I thought there might be someone here that is knowledgable of 1800s bottles who would have some title suggestions.

If any of her finds are pre-war, I may be able to post pictures.

Anna Worden

I cannot recall the name of the books, but I have seen one or two in Barnes & Noble bookstore. They were located where the books for antiques and collectibles are located. Hope this helps.

MrsArmstrong
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Anna,
This link was recommended in my archaeology class.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/index.htm

Susan Armstrong
George Mason University

Rob Weaver
04-26-2007, 08:28 PM
There are some excellent pictures of period bottles, and dimensions in both Lord's Collector's Encyclopedia and Neuman and Kravic's Encyclopedia of the American Revolution. Remember to look for pre-war glassware, and not just "new" stuff. Bottles are consistently found in trash pits years after they should be, suggesting that they were used and reused and reused for some time.

Delia Godric
04-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Thank you each for your suggestions.
From what I've seen her recover already, I suspect we are going to compile a wide chronology of bottles and other items. The ideal book for her will help her identify what the bottle is as well as approximately when it is from. I highly doubt I will ever bring any of these to an event. Likely she will keep her favorite blue ones to decorate the kitchen.

Anna Worden

Hoosier49er
04-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Ma'am, Try Digger Dave. He has an Ebay store, and digs Civil War privies and trash pits. VERY knowledgeable about anything glass that comes out of the ground. I believe he has written a couple of books on the topic. A key-word search should bring him up.
Hope this helps. :D

(A fellow victorian glass junkie!)

Hoosier49er
04-27-2007, 08:57 AM
You might also try Digger O'dell. His website is at bottlebooks.com He has some nice books out.

Delia Godric
04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you for the two suggestions. These will be very helpful.

Anna Worden

Archibald Mungo
04-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Thank you each for your suggestions.
From what I've seen her recover already, I suspect we are going to compile a wide chronology of bottles and other items. The ideal book for her will help her identify what the bottle is as well as approximately when it is from. I highly doubt I will ever bring any of these to an event. Likely she will keep her favorite blue ones to decorate the kitchen.

Anna Worden

If you mean a Cobalt blue, then you are probably talking later than CW period. There ARE examples of this color for our period (such as Harrison inks and Heimstreets Hair restorative) but I suspect later bottles. If you are talking Aqua, then it's a possibility that they MIGHT be period (but then again, aqua covers quite a long time period).

Archibald Mungo
Bottle collector

Delia Godric
04-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the information on the color of glass. So far she has pulled out a dark blue (I think cobalt), a medium lighter blue and a green.

She doesn't really care what the time period is. I'll just post what finds might be in our era. Hopefully the hill will dry up soon so we can go look for more.

Anna Worden