PDA

View Full Version : off-topic: digital cameras

RebeccaMI
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I have a digital camera that I use for work, and I really like it except for one thing... it's not very small. I've been saving for a few months to get a second one for "home" that it smaller and more tote-able so I can take it to reenactments or wherever. (Yes I know it is terribly non-period correct, but when the 'taters have gone home and there's still some daylight it's nice to snap some photos to by which to remember the event.)

I've already checked into camera ratings on Consumer Reports. What I'm looking for here is *your* reports. So if you have a digital camera...

What kind is it?

How much did you pay for it (and how long ago)?

Do you like it?

What are some pros and cons worth mentioning?

RebeccaMI
04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Perhaps one of the moderators could move this to the whine cellar for me? In retrospect I think it belongs there better.

BobSullivanPress
04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Just bought a Kodak C663 at Circuit City for $130. Actually, we just purchased a Samsung (don't know the model number) at the same price and hated it so much we took it back and bought the Kodak.

Both cameras were 6 megapixel models, 3x zoom.

Reasons we hated the Samsung:
EXTREMELY low battery life (like 45 minutes with alkaline batteries)
No viewfinder, had to frame pictures using the LCD screen on the back (which contributed to the short battery life I'm sure)

Reasons we liked the Kodak
Came with rechargable batteries
The rechargable batteries lasted all day at least on my daughter's week-long trip to Washington (dduring which she took about 700 pictures)
Had a viewfinder.

Purchased a 1Gb memory card at WalMart for $13. The camera came with a 512Mb card anyway.

That's my opinion.

EFA
04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
We have a Canon Powershot and I love it. We also have a Canon Digital Rebel Xti. The Rebel is huge but takes amazing photos. The Powershot is smaller and more portable, the only thing I don't like about it is that the screen on the back isn't protected unless you buy a case for it. I happen to love Canon cameras.

MDRebCAv
04-25-2007, 12:35 PM
I use the Canon Rebel for my PR work here at Fort Meade and I have had several of them in newspapers--excellent quality, long battery life.

And of course it hase the RIGHT NAME... ;-)

paul hadley
04-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Miss Rebecca,
I have seen more than one living historian wrap a Canon "Elf" sized digital camera the same as a cartridge pack or a chunk of cheese -- off white paper and string, etc -- with a hole on one side for the lens and viewfinder and a hole on the back for the "peephole" so that it was fairly unobtrusive while being carried with other personal belongings.

The trick of course is not to being really obvious when taking a photo. Pretending to be sniffing a block of cheese would work like, once lol.

As noted by others, seek a camera that has the "rangefinder" viewfinder so that you don't have to use the large viewing screen on the back -- drains your battery but also can get in the way of others' period moments. Get at least 4 megapixals of resolution -- 6 or even 10 would be better.

A self timer or even a remote sensor so that you can "trip" the shutter without holding the camera could lead to all sorts of interesting photo expressions.

Good luck.
Paul

ElizabethClark
04-25-2007, 03:56 PM
On the other hand, I have a compact digital camera, and still don't have any event pictures (even of events where it wouldn't be frowned upon), because I don't remember to bring the darn thing out, as I'm too busy enjoying the event. :)

Lizzie
04-25-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a Sony cyber-shot, and I love it! It's so compact.I couldn't tell you the price range because it was a Christmas gift a year ago. I would say anywhere between $100-150. For events, I just toss it in a polk sack and hide it! I am a huge picture fanatic, and I always want photo memories of events/living histories I have enjoyed. But there is always a time and a place for pictures.

Pete K
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
I picked up the $147 Fuji kit at Wally-world last December. 3.? mega pixles small enough to hide in a fatigue jacket or haversack and takes a fine photo. Large display screen on a small camera. Comes with rechargeable batteries and all the wires and what not to save and print your photos at home. Good battery life and durable. I've taken it to CW events and Boy Scout camps water/cold/heat hasn't yet bothered it yet.

RebeccaMI
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
In case anyone is curious, I ended up ordering a Canon SD1000 PowerShot Digital ELPH for $215 plus shipping from J&R Music & Computer World.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd1000-review/camera-silver.jpg

All the reviews that I read of it (including this one (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd1000-review/index.shtml) that was very in-depth) were good, it was within my budget, and is nice and small so I can take it with me just about anywhere. I ordered it last night so I hope it comes soon!