PDA

View Full Version : Patterns for tall male civilian?

Euphemia
04-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I have been trying forever to talk my dad into reenacting and he wasn't interested until recently when he started worrying about my mom and my sisters being out there all by ourselves. The thing is though I have to sew his wardrobe before our next event. I have a sack coat, shirt, and drawers patterns, but that is it. I was looking for some suggestions into trouser and vest patterns? My dad is tall (well over six feet) and given the amount of time I have available, I don't want to deal with a pattern like Period Impressions which tend to be unclear in their instructions.

My dad is not going to let us go to our next event unless he is there to be the big "protector" so I need a can't fail patterns that would be correct and fit a tall man. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Spinster
04-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Miss Euphemia,

I'm just down the road from you in Tuscaloosa. I've got patterns in hand easily dealt with for a tall man.

Your mother already has my phone number, and is just waiting for me to come to the top after the end of tax season. I've surfaced now.

Now, the reality here is--introductions are in order, and a stronger list of events to choose from, not just going here and there willy-nilly. I've got a pretty good guess on where you were and what went wrong, and that can be remedied with the same judicious planning I quietly recommended to you some time back.

Your father is certainly welcome in civilian life--we can always use more. But if his interest is not genuine, there is no use torturing the poor man.

My own Dear Husband often dresses soley for the purpose of aiding us in set up and take down---and then goes off to play golf for the rest of the weekend.

Appearance and persona is not everything---but it is a whole lot.

We've got a major area event coming up at the end of next month. I imagine you wish to attend, as it is vitually in our back yards. Lets start making arrangments.

Kind Regards,

Sarah Jane Meister
04-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I experienced the same situation with my own father, before my marriage, when he was my protector and defender at the different events we went to. My father was over six feet as well and I had no problems using Past Patterns Light Summer Trousers, and Paletot for him, as well as Homespun patterns Civilian Vest. They needed absolutely no altering to fit him very nicely and were extremely easy to use and the instructions were clear to follow.

My husband is 6'5" and I have used Period Impressions Civilian Trouser pattern to make him a few pair of civilian trousers. The instructions are a little sketchy but if you use common sense and period knowledge to put them together they work out very well. I had to add about 2 inches to the pants front and back piece so they would fall at the correct length on David but otherwise they went together fine.

Good luck and hope this might help. And congratulations on having a loving father who wants to protect you at events!

Sarah