PDA

View Full Version : Was Lincoln a Polygamist?

mmescher
04-14-2007, 07:51 PM
I happened to be looking at a copy of _Civil War Courier_ today and found in an article about the forts of Washington that Lincoln must have had two wives. They first mention Lincoln and his wife Martha and then later talk about Mary. Never heard of Martha before!

They also had a couple of statements that I was wondering about. The first was that an estimated 900 union soldiers died in the Battle of Ft. Stevens. Another source said that there were 874 casualties (unknown whether one or both sides). But the number of 900 union dead seemed much too large. There were only about 2600 total casualties from the Battle of First Manassas with a lot more troops involved (and a lot of those casualties were missing/captured). Does anyone know the correct number of union dead for that battle?

The second statement was that James Madison had also been under fire while president. From one of Madison's letters, it seems that he was near Bladensburg when the battle started but that he retired from the field before coming under fire. Does anyone know the details of the Battle of Bladensburg and whether Madison was under fire? The NPS (usually right but not always) claims that Ft. Stevens was the first and only time a president was under fire while president.

reb64
04-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I happened to be looking at a copy of _Civil War Courier_ today and found in an article about the forts of Washington that Lincoln must have had two wives. They first mention Lincoln and his wife Martha and then later talk about Mary. Never heard of Martha before!

They also had a couple of statements that I was wondering about. The first was that an estimated 900 union soldiers died in the Battle of Ft. Stevens. Another source said that there were 874 casualties (unknown whether one or both sides). But the number of 900 union dead seemed much too large. There were only about 2600 total casualties from the Battle of First Manassas with a lot more troops involved (and a lot of those casualties were missing/captured). Does anyone know the correct number of union dead for that battle?

The second statement was that James Madison had also been under fire while president. From one of Madison's letters, it seems that he was near Bladensburg when the battle started but that he retired from the field before coming under fire. Does anyone know the details of the Battle of Bladensburg and whether Madison was under fire? The NPS (usually right but not always) claims that Ft. Stevens was the first and only time a president was under fire while president.
known to have sleep overs and shared his bed with other men, maybe common to era but he was particularly found of it when extra beds were available

sbl
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
From the Official Records (CD)
Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 2 (Campaigns etc.)

July 11-12 Fort Stevens, D.C 54 (Killed) 319(wounded)(no captured) 373(total)

Battle of Bladensburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bladensburg

http://www.constitution.org/jm/18140824_bladensburg.htm

James Madison...

"When the Battle had decidedly commenced, I observed to the Secretary of War and Secretary of State that it would be proper to withdraw to a position in the rear, where we could act according to circumstances; leaving military movements now to the military functionaries who were responsible for them. This we did, Mr. Rush soon joining us. When it became manifest that the battle was lost; Mr. Rush accompanying me, I fell down into the road leading to the city and returned to it."

Spinster
04-15-2007, 10:07 PM

One wonders if there may be an opening for a proof reader at the publication.:rolleyes:

Mrs. Lawson

OVI
04-16-2007, 05:53 AM
One wonders if there may be an opening for a proof reader at the publication.:rolleyes:

Mrs. Lawson

That would likely require the services of two people who can read...

Kent Dorr
"Devils Own Mess"

militiaman1835
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Its a little known fact that Abe was seeing Martha Washington while also dating Brittany Spears great great great grandmother...oops he did it again! If the walls of the Lincoln bedroom could talk!! JIM HENSLEY