PDA

View Full Version : Two Shelter Halves @ 3 Confederate Painted Oil Blankets

Claude Sinclair
04-08-2007, 09:25 AM
I have finished two Federal Shelter Halves, Type 111a, for sale. Made from Federal Specifications as outlined in Frederick Gaede's "The Federal Civil War Shelter Tent". Size is about 66" X 62". If put up correctly you sleep width wise instead of length wise. All grommets and buttonholes are handsewn and buttons with bone buttons. Made of 8 oz cotton drill. Each half is $80. I have sold several dozen of these and have received no complaints. I offer a full refund so there's no risk. I also sell on E-Bay under csglock. I have sold to a Sgt. in Iraq and he told me that he set it up for a living history.

I also have three Confederate painted oil blankets with six hand sewn grommets. Two are placed so that it can be used as a rain cape. I do have two Federal Oil Blankets drying outside. I sell them for $50 each and I have lost count on how many I have sold. I know that I have sold 30+ to the Vermont Hemlocks out of Vermont so they like what they are getting. I do accept Pay Pal. My account is clsinclair@infoave.net

Your Obedient Servant,

Claude Sinclair
Lt. Colonel, SC Palmetto Battalion
clsinclair@infoave.net

jgr1974
04-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Sir,

Is the ground cloth painted with straight oil, or is it a blackened oil cloth? Also, what is the size?

Jeremy

The Mad Mick!!!

Claude Sinclair
04-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Sir,

Is the ground cloth painted with straight oil, or is it a blackened oil cloth? Also, what is the size?

Jeremy

The Mad Mick!!!

I use the period recipe as outlined at: http://www.geocities.com/union_guard...ccoutermen.htm. I also use 8 oz cotton drill in the correct widths so it takes two pieces of drill to make one cloth. The Federal Painted oil blanket that I make is as ordered by the Federal Quartermaster and the requested size was 71" X 46 with a 2" helm on one side and end while the other side and end was 1". Eighteen grommets were to be spaced with two of the grommets being used for tape to make a cape out of the oil blanket. A picture of a surviving oil blanket that I make is featured in EOG. I have sold 30 of these in three orders of ten each for the Vermont Hemlocks living history company and have sold over 300 elsewhere. I awaken at Rich Mountain and saw three of my blankets being used by people that I did not know. The Confederate Painted oil blanket that I make does not have helms but has hand sewn grommets on each corner. It is approx the same length and width. The price is $50 each plus $6 for priority mailing. The ones you get on sutlers row weigh more and one piece non-period construction. I accept Pay Pal, Checks, and MO's. My e-mail and Pay Pal Account is clsinclair@infoave.net

snk22nd
04-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Claude
My oil blanket arrived and it is great. For the money this is the best I have seen. It truly looks like the original. These is recommended to all.
Thanks