PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg 145

captain_kirk
04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow!!!!!
The web site for Gettysburg 145 is already up and running for July of next year. www.gettysburgreenactor.com.

captain_kirk
04-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Errrrr,
Sorry gents got the web site wrong, its www.gettysburgreenactment.com

JEBeedle
04-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Is this the event that Chris Anders is puting together?

Memphis
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
That's the $GAC$ event.

TParker
04-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Excuse me, but I believe the 145th anniversary of the 1863 battle would be in 2008, not 2007? I do not mean to denigrate the 144th anniversary, or otherwise detract from the proposed event, but let's wait till the actual event.

toptimlrd
04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Excuse me, but I believe the 145th anniversary of the 1863 battle would be in 2008, not 2007? I do not mean to denigrate the 144th anniversary, or otherwise detract from the proposed event, but let's wait till the actual event.

There is a link for the 145 being held in 2008 on the site. It is listing the commanders and announcing that registration will begin following this year's event. Large national's often start advertising more than a year out.

TParker
04-05-2007, 07:45 PM
I understand that the currently advertised event has A LINK to the 145th anniversary event, but that is different from an advertisement FOR the 145th anniversary. The current post might properly be advertised as the 144th with PREFERENCE for the 145th, but lets be honest in our advertising on this forum. No hyperbole, no false promises. We all know what is real and what is ADvertising.

Huck Finn
04-05-2007, 10:33 PM
It is what it is.

Memphis
04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
...and this is what it is (from the anniversary committee's website):

145TH Gettysburg Anniversary Reenactment
July 4, 5 & 6, 2008

As a result of significant interest and numerous questions regarding The 145TH Gettysburg Anniversary 2008 Reenactment, the following general information available at this time is being provided. Specific event information including general reenactor registration information and public ticket sales information will be available after the completion of this year’s 144TH event. More information will be made available on this website as it becomes available.

• The Gettysburg Anniversary 145th Reenactment will be held Friday thru Sunday on July 4, 5 & 6, 2008. Please do not confuse it with this year’s 144th event on July 6, 7, & 8, 2007.

• The 145TH event will be held at the Redding Farm three miles north of Gettysburg. The Redding Farm is located on the Table Rock Road, which is convenient to Gettysburg, U.S. Route 15 & U.S. Route 30. An adjacent parcel of land has been obtained for the 145th to accommodate and enhance this large-scale event.

• The military command will be U.S. General Allen Baldwin and C.S.A. General James Maupin and their very experienced and capable staffs. Both of these gentleman have a wealth of overall command experience at numerous reenactments across the east and particularly at Gettysburg events.

• The local Gettysburg information regarding directions, lodging, campgrounds, services and area contact numbers currently listed on the the annual Gettysburg Reenactment website at www.gettybsurgreenactment.com will also apply to the 2008 event.

• General reenactor registration will not commence until after the completion of the Gettysburg 144th Reenactment. General reenactor registration by mail or email will open Monday, August, 13, 2007.

• As a matter of safety and organization, all reenactors will be required to be part of a recognized affiliated unit or be accepted as part of a provisional unit administered by each army command staff. There will be no walk-ons.

• As a courtesy and recognition of continued support, registered Gettysburg 144th reenactors on site will be offered the opportunity to pre-register at a discount rate for the Gettysburg 145th 2008 Reenactment at this summer’s 144th event. All other reenactor registration will begin on August, 13, 2007.

• Total registration ceiling numbers have not been set, but will be determined by the organizers and the command staffs relative to safety, resource consideration, registration requests and event quality.

• The Gettysburg 145th Battle Reenactment will coincide with the projected Spring 2008 opening of the new Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor Center creating a unique visitation opportunity for visitor’s and reenactors.

Redding Farm! Say, boyos, didn't that property flood out one year due to seasonal rainfall, and cause a significant postponement of this for profit annual spectacular?

tompritchett
04-06-2007, 03:47 AM
Redding Farm! Say, boyos, didn't that property flood out one year due to seasonal rainfall, and cause a significant postponement of this for profit annual spectacular?

Yes, it was the one that flooded out for the 145th, which finally ended up being done in August.

GrumpyDave
04-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Are you really in that big of a hurry to throw your money at those folks AGAIN?

ejazzyjeff
04-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Is this the event that Chris Anders is puting together?

I can almost guarantee it isn't. But I know that they are working on something.

Anders
04-06-2007, 07:55 AM
I am working on Gettysburg for 2008, but it is not in conjuction with GAC, nor on the Reading Farm Property.

It is being held about 12 minutes from the square on new ground, good pristine ground.

Once a written agreement is signed, all information will be posted.

Within 30 days.

Pards,

RJSamp
04-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Sounds Great Chris!

wagen dawg
04-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Gents;
This is also the location where a stream and wood line are at the bottom of "Cemetery Ridge" and the hill is anything but gentle and sloping. This created a "now you see 'um, now you don't, here they are" charge.

When the event was over, why did so many people think they had to exit that area by driving into downtown?

Forewarned is forearmed.

yos
Wagen Dawg
Tim

JEBeedle
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I am working on Gettysburg for 2008, but it is not in conjuction with GAC, nor on the Reading Farm Property.

It is being held about 12 minutes from the square on new ground, good pristine ground.

Within 30 days.

Pards,

Thanks Chris.

I though this wasn’t your event.

Doug Cooper
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM

Within 30 days.

Pards,

This is all you need to know folks. Just say no to anything else.

Memphis
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM

What would be so wrong with a living history on the actual battlefield? People have options.

bob 125th nysvi
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Being a horse farmer I remember that year very well and there wasn't a dry patch in the entire NE.

July/August is normally the 'dry' season north of the Mason-Dixon line so to expect a repeat of the great flood would be unusual.

However if it does happen I'm sure Al Gore will blame it on global warming and polar ice cap melt.

TeamsterPhil
04-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Within 30 days.

Pards,

Even the Off Topic Boys are getting behind Chris and his Gettysburg efforts. The OTB will be raising an Ad Hoc A Loogie Company/Battalion for this event as a warmup to the anticipated 150th event.

Be there or be square,

Phil Campbell

Spinster
04-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Yes, it was the one that flooded out for the 145th, which finally ended up being done in August.

Yes, and that property was still remarkably soggy in some places even in August. I flew up and camped with friends, who arrived early and were provident in seizing high ground. The shopping was good. I have no clue if the battle was worth watching---I could not see it for all the high priced grandstands blocking the view.

Its also the same site that NSA leadership pulled the plug on for their "national' event that year after a site walk through about nine months earlier, due to the very same consideration about drainage and the size of the site. As I recall, that was the 140th, and leadership had to scramble to put together an event at Spring Hill as a substitute, with a very short lead time.

Later on, my opinion was asked of the decision in hindsight. While I think that everyone ought to go to Gettysburg, I don't think that this site is a terribly good way to spend your time.

Find yourself a nice campground somewhere and go hiking around the Park. You'll learn a whole lot more.

tompritchett
04-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Even the Off Topic Boys are getting behind Chris and his Gettysburg efforts.

Now that is saying something after the way some of his past events have been treated over there.