PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated reenactor!

1863doc
04-04-2007, 03:09 PM
Here is a link to a news story from 2003, it may be old news but if you have not read it, it is worth reading. The title is Overzealous Civil War re-enactor undergoes field amputation:
http://www.recoilmag.com/news/civil_war_re-enactor_0403.html

In short this reenactor not only shot and killed a reenactor's horse but, then talked another reenactor into shooting him with a live 58 cal mini. After the leg became Gangrenous did he talk reenactors at another event into removing the leg for real in front of the audience.

I have pulled a tooth at an event and performed other real life medical functions in line with my training as a paramedic but this is above and beyond any form of sanity.

Let me know what you
1863doc

jat
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I say that the guy needs to go to a mental hospital.

Doug Cooper
04-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Dedicated? Not the word I would use.

I had never heard of this - why is he:

1. Not in jail?

2. Not in an asylum?

or, is this all a hoax?

Footslogger
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Hmmmmm! dated April 2007 and 2003, Don't suppose it was the 1st by any chance...

SteveB

bill watson
04-04-2007, 04:26 PM
You're all being sent up. Of course it's a spoof. :-)

Ken
04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, dead horse, shoot me in the leg, cut off leg in front of the tatters, come on man

toptimlrd
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Ummmmmm....... funny I work that event and never heard about it and have been there either as a spectator or reenactor for over 10 years now. A little late for an April Fools joke. Also, look at the rest of the "Recoil" website and it's almost as believable as the "Onion". What garbage. I'm also forwarding this to the organizing committee for the event.

1863doc
04-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Opinions is what I asked for: I had never seen or heard of Recoil before. I was searching for other medical reenactor websites when I came across the article....I have written an email to Recoil but no answer as yet. My hopes were that someone may have been there in 2003 and know the truth.

The idea of it being an April Fools gag had been thought of but having known some yahooo's in the reenacting community I could see some fool doing the horse.....I wittnessed a rider shoot his own horse and then as the horse threw him shot himself as well. He claimed someone from the other side had been shooting real, but powder burns proved the guy did it himself. (he was using double charged blanks that put holes in both the horse's neck and his leg.)

I was not out to take anyone with it I was wanting to know.
1863doc

toptimlrd
04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Hit the legal link at the bottom of the page and here is what you get:

Recoil TM is a satirical newspaper published by Blue V Productions, LLC.
Recoil TM uses invented names in all its stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

The content of this web-site is Trademarked by Blue V Productions, LLC, and may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form or by any means in whole or in part without the expressed written consent of the publisher.

Recoil TM is not intended for readers under 18 years of age.

1863doc
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I never thought to look at their legal statement. Even though their story got me to thinking about how stupid a person could get, makes me wonder how I have lost my own powers of observation. See what retirement can do, makes one lazy even in reading....

One note back to the search I was conducting when I happened on the story: I am looking for medical reenactor websites. I have a website that I have been playing with for about a year now, www.civilwarmedicalreenactors.com (http://www.civilwarmedicalreenactors.com) I am wanting to get a page of links to medical reenactors, museums, and other REAL websites that provide educational material concerning the medical aspects of the civil war. Any suggestions, (nice ones please LOL) would be most welcome.

Thanks to all
1863doc

toptimlrd
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Doc,

Your website sounds like a great idea and I hope you can find enough to develop it into a real resource for people in your field.

BTW, here is one that is in a link on my home unit's website: http://www.civilwarhome.com/links8.htm#med

bill watson
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Doc, I didn't think YOU were sending us up. I meant the website was having us all on, you included.

NoahBriggs
04-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Kinda reminds me of an old legend I heard way back, where one reenactor was so "dedicated" he insisted his dentist do any needed dental work in a period-correct method and materials. I am pretty sure since this was supposedly done in a modern office that novacaine was used, but the end result was supposed to look nineteenth century.

Even though the article under discussion is a spoof, it still worries me because it has the ability to be pulled out of context and plastered as "fact" across Internet forums and "respectable" news organizations. In this day and age of lazy fact-checking and severe allergies to the search function, I could see spectators coming up to me and asking me my opinion on the topic. With a straight face and all earnestness.

Sometimes you have to remember to change the BS filter in your brain, and relube the neurons every 50,000 miles to ensure maximum mileage from your mind.

toptimlrd
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Even though the article under discussion is a spoof, it still worries me because it has the ability to be pulled out of context and plastered as "fact" across Internet forums and "respectable" news organizations. In this day and age of lazy fact-checking and severe allergies to the search function, I could see spectators coming up to me and asking me my opinion on the topic. With a straight face and all earnestness.

That's why I forwarded this to the Olustee Citizens Support Organization (the folks that put on the Olustee event). I don't think they are going to find it at all humerous and I hope they take this "Recoil" "magazine" to task big time. I know the kind of work that goes into that event and the last thing needed is something like this that gets taken seriously and causes the event problems.

hanktrent
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I remember reading the article when it first came out a while ago, and I don't see what the problem is, even though I guess I'd be the square-on target of the ridicule, being one of them there deluded hardcores who takes authenticity too far. I thought it was hilarious, but then I'm a big fan of the straight-face, Onion-style dry humor.

Anybody gullible enough to be fooled by it isn't going to be able to do much harm to the hobby, because they'll look so silly after they're told they fell for a spoof, that nobody's going to take any of their complaints seriously.

Uh, present company excepted, of course. :D

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

southern_belle1861
04-05-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm with Mr. Trent, though I also have a natural bias being one of "them". :D

toptimlrd
04-05-2007, 02:44 PM
I remember reading the article when it first came out a while ago, and I don't see what the problem is, even though I guess I'd be the square-on target of the ridicule, being one of them there deluded hardcores who takes authenticity too far. I thought it was hilarious, but then I'm a big fan of the straight-face, Onion-style dry humor.

Anybody gullible enough to be fooled by it isn't going to be able to do much harm to the hobby, because they'll look so silly after they're told they fell for a spoof, that nobody's going to take any of their complaints seriously.

Uh, present company excepted, of course. :D

Hank Trent
hanktrent@voyager.net

But Hank, think about some of the most riduculous things we already hear at events:

How do you keep from accidentlly hitting each other?

Were you in the Civil War?

Did the soldiers hide behind these monuments?

etc.

There have been all too numerous times things from the Onion have surfaced in places purported to be real news. The fact that a couple of folks here almost fell for it speaks volumes. For humor to be good there has to be an element of truth and let's face it, many of us take the hobby extremely seriously. Never underestimate the ability of the public to be duped.......pasta trees, exploding Chevy trucks, Dan Rather........

I agree with Noah and the media today simply does not do its homework and with the blogosphere it's no holds barred. I know how much work many people put into the real event and I know it would rub me the wrong way. Now if they had used a ficticious event it would probably be a different story. This simply does not need to grow into some urban legend where it will be a "fact" that someone shot live ammo at Olustee one year killing a horse then came back the next year and shot himself in the leg or some such. It's hard enough to battle the current urban legends people in the hobby use against each other and can be seen in many of the us vs. them threads that start up (going both ways I might add).