PDA

View Full Version : Thank you History Channel!

sbl
04-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Say what you will...the History Channel got me though a 3 hour wait Saturday morning at the car dealership during a 65,000 mile maintenance. They have a TV in the costumer lounge. More on the JFK assassination (I lived it), Wild West Tech, Mail Call. The time flew by.

AzTrooper
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Scott, I couldnt agree with you more! When I watch TV it is always on the History channel or History International unless there is a Supercross on which is extremely rare.In addition to the shows you listed I enjoy watching Dogfights and The Naked Archaeologist (thank goodness the name is misleading)also Digging for the Truth, which is really basic but I still enjoy it.
Respectfully,
John Rogers

TParker
04-03-2007, 07:25 AM
I also tend to turn on the History Channel as my first choice after the news.

Last night there was an ad on for an upcoming show on Sherman and the Atlanta campaign to be shown on April 22. Hope they do a good job on it!

"Doc" Nelson
04-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Terry,
I'm interested in seeing that episode too! It seems like it'd be "OK". But, it's only been a commercial. I guess we'll have to see.

toptimlrd
04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
I also tend to turn on the History Channel as my first choice after the news.

Last night there was an ad on for an upcoming show on Sherman and the Atlanta campaign to be shown on April 22. Hope they do a good job on it!

I hope they do also. I just hope it is much better than their past few ACW features.

AzTrooper
04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Howdy,
Im really hoping that it is well made and well researched.Im keeping my fingers crossed.I imagine that there will be some deviations from fact but I just hope that it is minimal.
Sincerely,
John Rogers

7thMDYankee
04-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree, but they still have way too much on UFOs and other bizarre things that hardly classify as history... How many versions of Bigfoot to we have to hear about? Usually they have very fine programming, but the inclusion of these weird topics makes me question how serious they are to maintaining a good outlet for real documented history.

Don't mean to offend anyone, but until little green men jump off the flying the saucer and demand to see my leader I'm going to be suspect of the claims. I find it more than odd that the only photographs are either really fuzzy, proven hoaxes, or just lights that can be explained in a variety of ways. In other words, this is not documentation - it's conjecture at best... and in a day and age when everyone and his brother has a camera on the phone... Sorry to ramble on, I just hope the History Channel can focus on history.

sbl
04-03-2007, 11:10 AM
David,

I think the HC has finally stopped re-running In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy.

"...but until little green men jump off the flying the saucer and demand to see my leader..."

Not to get political but if that happened to me I'd start barking like a dog or point to the dolphins.

ILYankee5
04-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I am anxiously anticipating the new Sherman show on the History Channel as well. I hope it is as well made as the Washington the Warrior episode they made a year or so ago. I hope this will also be another great resource to use in the class room.

ILYankee5

toptimlrd
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
David,

I think the HC has finally stopped re-running In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy.

"...but until little green men jump off the flying the saucer and demand to see my leader..."

Not to get political but if that happened to me I'd start barking like a dog or point to the dolphins.

Ok, now that was funny. If you bark like a dog, please do it in close proximity to the one that keeps leaving me "gifts" in my front yard so they take it first. :-)

TheSignalCorpsGuy
04-04-2007, 06:11 AM
Terry,
I'm interested in seeing that episode too! It seems like it'd be "OK". But, it's only been a commercial. I guess we'll have to see.

I saw it too and hope they did a good job on it as well.

My sons and I spent two days filiming on it back in late October.

We'll see how good they do.

I dug through their web-site hoping to download the commercial - can't find it anywhere.

Parault
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I saw it too and hope they did a good job on it as well.

My sons and I spent two days filiming on it back in late October.

We'll see how good they do.

I dug through their web-site hoping to download the commercial - can't find it anywhere.
SCG What all did you and your sons do during the filming? What is it like doing a film? I have been in this hobby a long time and never been close to a camera. Maybe there is a reason,they can break.

I also hope this is well put togethor like the show on George Washington

TheSignalCorpsGuy
04-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Sir,

I came to the shoot primarily to bring my two sons. I'm rather large and not suited for film (camera's often break when I'm in front of them). We were all extras.

Oldest son is 25. He filled in as a Yankee extra marching and doing that kind of thing. He was also "Squibbed" which was cool to watch. He was doing 'second unit' shooting of the close-ups of a battle. He was CS. A Yankee came running up to him, shot and the 'squib' (or blood pack) squirted through the jacket making it appear that he was shot. Before they actually shot the squib they rehearsed it 7 or 8 times.

Youngest son is 13. He's a drummer (and quite good if I do say). Camera's also love him. He's got quite an incredible 'kit' and REALLY looks the part. The director took him out of several shots because he'd been on camera so much. At most reenactments the local media usually gets hold of him and takes his picture or video-tapes him. He's used to it now - and for a 13 year old he does pretty darn good when a reporter asks him questions.

Me - I helped build the sections of pontoon bridge they used (or were going to use). They gave the props guy a picture (I know the guy pretty well) and I volunteered to help build it.

They also drafted me to get in uniform. They needed bodies THAT badly. I mostly was in the back rank toward the back of the column hiding as much as I could.

Making a movie is VERY hard work as an extra. My oldest son did Fields of Freedom. It's 8-12 hours a day of marching and running. Not only that - but marching and running the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over (ad nausiem) again until you're so sick of it you're ready to puke! It's much more physically challenging than reenacting just one battle. The up side is that you get paid and fed. Food is of special note - which was VERY good.

The 'casting' company I worked for was "Historical Entertainment". Look them up on the web. You may want to join if you're interested - dont know if they shoot very often out in the mid-west or far west. But they do here on the east coats. I get emails often (once or twice a month) asking for folks to come out. Most recent was for National Treasure 2 which is now in production. Dont remember the details..........

In any case - if you have any questions - my email is listed in my profile.

SCG What all did you and your sons do during the filming? What is it like doing a film? I have been in this hobby a long time and never been close to a camera. Maybe there is a reason,they can break.

TheSignalCorpsGuy
04-06-2007, 07:03 AM
.........when on a movie set.

BACK TO ONE - WAITING FOR SMOKE

That means back to your start points for the shot - they're waiting for the smoke machines to get the smoke back on the field. This is done dozens and dozens of times............