PDA

View Full Version : Women's Clothing at 1860..

sbl
03-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Neat site with Flash Player. Dress an 1860's woman...

"...Navigate to each layer of this activity by clicking on the "Next" and "Previous" buttons. Using your cursor, roll over each image to learn about the unfamiliar clothing. (requires Flash Player)...."

http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/activities/dressup/1860_woman.html

Other time periods on the site..

southern_belle1861
04-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Some thoughts on the womans slide show:

1) On the 2nd slide, the drawers appear a bit too long and I'm not sure about those "hoops", as the most common means of skirt support was a cage. On the 3rd slide, it says "A woman might wear a shirt under her dress with only the sleeves and collar showing, or she might wear false sleeves of fine white cotton and a collar of fine white cotton or lace." I personally have never seen any originals or references to wearing a full white shirt under a dress.

2) On slide 4, her dress appears to be cotton, but it has pagoda sleeves and a darted bodice (something that is very, very rare on originals) It also says "A lady did not show her ankles!" Though a "lady" above the age of 18 or 19 would not show her ankles, a working class woman may, as shorter skirts are easier to work in.

And some thoughts on the girls slides:

1) On the 2nd slide, the girls drawers are MUCH too long. Drawers should come between slightly below the knee and mid-calf. Hers are almost to her ankles. Once again, don't like the looks of "hoops".

2) On the 4th slide, her collar is much too wide. Collars were usually between 1-2 inches wide.

Just some thoughts I had on this :)

SouthernTNBelle
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
May I ask how the collar is suppose to be on the dress? Is it actually sewn in, or is it like a "mock" collar that its just a collar placed inside and gives the appearence of a shirt underneath?

hanktrent
04-18-2007, 05:33 PM
May I ask how the collar is suppose to be on the dress? Is it actually sewn in, or is it like a "mock" collar that its just a collar placed inside and gives the appearence of a shirt underneath?

The collar is basted on, either on top of the dress fabric or with a narrow band under the dress neckline. Among other things, the idea is it can be washed more easily than the dress, so when it gets dirty it can be removed, washed, and basted on again.

Hank Trent
(in charge of collar washing and basting for his wife)
hanktrent@voyager.net

Spinster
04-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Sadly, that site really does a disservice with the idea that a shirt was worn underneath---I see that foolish idea all the time in the Deep South, with women sweltering under perfectly good dresses, with a white blouse underneath attempting to mimic "collar and cuffs".

Much easier to do what ladies of the era did--baste in a clean collar and cuffs to protect and freshen the dress. Takes about 10 minutes.

That's provided I actually laundered them the last time I wore them. If I didn't, it takes about 15-20 to wash, damp iron, baste back in while still wet and go on my way.

You have no idea how many events I've walked into with my collar and cuffs still wet :rolleyes:

SouthernTNBelle
04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Basting the collar in, so that it can be removed for washing makes sense to me.
I know the day dresses with pagoda sleeves have the undersleeves. And the purpose was so that those could easily be removed for washing rather than a whole and/or larger piece of clothing. I currently have two day dresses with pagodas that I made, and made the undersleeves to go with them.

And yes, I couldn't imagine wearing a full shirt beneath a dress, as well as the underpinnings including a corset. Oh My!!