View Full Version : Name that implement?

03-21-2007, 08:07 PM
My brain isn't coming up with the term, so I thought I'd ask here. What do you call that thing you lay across your shoulders, it extends out beyond your shoulders, and you can carry two buckets or bags hung off it? It's usually wood and carved to fit the shape of the shoulders.

An old gentlemen of my aquaintance has one, probably not as old as "our period" but I don't think the shapes and styles changed much. We're trying to figure out what it might be worth, but the term "yoke" doesn't sound right to my ear.

Preparing to kick myself when the right term pops up. ;) Thanks for any help you can render.

National Memorial Day Parade (http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268)

03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Yoke? Not sure of the spelling ;)

03-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Yoke, definitely.

Hank Trent

03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Most certainly a yoke.

When the images come back, there will be a one of Miss Myers with it across her shoulders one frosty morning just last week, hefting two red buckets full of water for the horses.

And maybe what is worrying you is that another thing may also be called a yoke---that thing which you put two oxen in at the heads in order to pull a load. Should they be unevenly yoked, it is a bad thing, as they cannot haul well together.

And thus one gets the Biblical admonition against being in such a condition personally.

bill watson
03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
"Unevenly yoked" is an underutilized expression. Like "acknowledge the corn," which I accidentally used in a staff memo last week. :-) Had'em really scratching their heads.

Plus I'm thinking also that it's "yoke".

Charles Reynolds
03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
guess the "yoke" is on you sorry could not resist:D

04-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Good one... :)

Thank you all for your help in letting me know my ear is amiss. :roll: Somehow it just didn't sound right.

I'll see if we can get a reasonable price on his yoke. :-D

I "acknowledge the corn"!

Interesting orgin to the term, if this is to be believed. http://valis.cs.uiuc.edu/blog/?p=54

National Memorial Day Parade (http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268)

04-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I "acknowledge the corn"!

Interesting orgin to the term, if this is to be believed. http://valis.cs.uiuc.edu/blog/?p=54

Seems there were two versions of the origin circulating, the one above, and a flatboat one. Americanisms: The English of the New World, 1872, gives both here, starting at the bottom of the page:


Dictionary of Americanisms 1848, gives the flatboat one:

ACKNOWLEDGE THE CORN. An expression of recent origin, which has now become very common. It means to confess, or acknowledge a charge or imputation. The following story is told as the origin of the phrase:
Some years ago, a raw customer, from the upper country, determined to try his fortune at New Orleans. Accordingly he provided himself with two flat-boats--one laden with corn and the other with potatoes--and down the river he went. The night after his arrival he went up town, to a gambling house. Of course he commenced betting, and his luck proving unfortunate, he lost. When his money was gone, he bet his "truck;" and the corn and potatoes followed the money. At last, when completely cleaned out, he returned to his boats at the wharf; when the evidences of a new misfortune presented themselves. Through some accident or other, the flat-boat containing the corn was sunk, and a total loss. Consoling himself as well as he could, he went to sleep, dreaming of gamblers, potatoes, and corn.

It was scarcely sunrise, however, when he was disturbed by the "child of chance," who had arrived, to take possession of the two boats as his winnings. Slowly awakening from his sleep, our hero, rubbing his eyes, and looking the man in the face, replied: "Stranger, I acknowledge the corn--take 'em; but the potatoes you can't have, by thunder."--Pittsburgh Com. Advertiser.

Hank Trent

bob 125th nysvi
04-08-2007, 08:47 PM
a term which also applies to the implement around the neck of two oxen so they work together or the implement which hangs from the hames of a team of horse to carry the wagon pole

04-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I wish I could help, but a "yoke" sounds as if its the term used.

Now I have in my mind a picture of a milkmaid carrying one of those.

05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
well, we've got one here, and its called a yoke-it can also be used for carrying a number of other things, as well as, with some slight modifications, a barb-wire dispenser