PDA

View Full Version : Interesting person

plankmaker
03-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I was going through a box of family papers that my Dad sent me when I found this. Not sure where she fits into the family tree, but it sounds like she led an interesting life.

Mark Campbell
Piney Flats, TN

50th Congress, 1st Session HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES REPORT No. 3410.

MARY VON OLNHAUSEN.

SEPTEMBER 7, 1888. – Committed to the Committee of the White House and orderered to be printed

Mr. FRENCH, from the committee on Invalid Pensions, submitted the following

(To accompany bill H.R. 10951.)

The Committee on Invalid Pensions, to whom was referred the bill (H.R. 10951) granting a pension so Mary Von Olnhausen, have had the same under consideration, and beg leave to submit the following report:

The proposed beneficiary served for about three years as a nurse in the hospitals during the late war. The value of her services are fully set forth in the testimonials of surgeons, under whose instructions she served, as well as of soldiers whom she tenderly cared for while laying suffering from wounds and disease. Her education and linguistic knowledge enabled her to render especially valuable services. At the breaking out of the Franco-Prussian war she left here home and, under the indorsement of the American branch of the international association for the relief of misery of battle fields, tendered her services to the German Government. They were accepted, and at the close of that war the German Emperor conferred upon her the “Iron Cross” and the “Order of Merit.” For her efficient and human services during the war of the rebellion at the hospitals of Alexandria, Morehead City, Beaufort, and Smithsville, N.C., the governor of Massachusetts presented her with a letter of thanks.

Mrs. Von Olnhausen is over seventy years of age, a widow, and without means of support. This is shown by the statement of Hon. E.D. Hayden, who has known her for many years.

Your committee are of the opinion that the claim of this petitioner to the bounty of the Government is equally as meritorious as those of many others of her class who are now upon the pension-roll, and therefore report favorably on the accompanying bill, and ask that is do pass, amended, however, by striking out the words “twenty-five” in line 8, and insert therein instead the word “twelve.”