PDA

View Full Version : must ask you people that live in usa

factasy.com
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Hello I must ask you people that live in usa.

I that live in sweden have heard that the copyrigth on allmoste everything about the American civil war is gone. Is that true.

And i will ask about acw photo were can i get photo that not is copyright is it anyone in here that have private photo and want to share them to me.

ANN

Rob Weaver
03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Books and music published before 1923 (I believe) belong to public domain, as well as a host of other authors whose copyrights were not renewed. As near as I know, all Civil War photographs are in public domain, unless they were retrieved from a book, database, etc, which has been copyrighted since that time.

Ephraim_Zook
03-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Sir,

Take a look at the website of the US Library of Congress. There is a great wealth of excellent photos there, in the public domain. If you can, load the high resolution versions of the photos. You can enlarge them and see wonderful details. There are several collections available there that you can view. In my mind, the best are from "Brady and others".

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/ListSome.php?category=War,+Military

Good luck in your hunt for pictures.

regards
Ron Myzie

mmescher
03-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not an attorney but here is my understanding of copyrights and other rights.

By now, everything written during the civil war period, whether published or unpublished, is now in the public domain. No copyright exists for the original material.

However, if the item you are interested in is rare, than the holder could have a property right. In order to use his/her material, you would need to have permission.

Common stuff like Godey's, Peterson's, Harper's Weekly, or other common periodicals are so abundant that any copies would be difficult to prove it came from someone's collection. But for rare items, you would need permission and might have to pay a royalty. An example of this latter situation is the experience one historic site was having. They wanted to use a recipe from an old cookbook but this was the only copy of the cookbook known to exist. They were preparing to pay a royalty for permission to publish one recipe from that cookbook. If they had published the recipe without permission, the owner of the book could have sued them for stealing "his stuff." So photos, because they are often one-of-a-kind, might require getting permission, possibly after paying a fee.

To be sure, check with the supplier of rare material to find out their policies.

Michael Mescher