PDA

View Full Version : Artillery bounties.

J Goza
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Lately when getting registration packets to some smaller events, I am seeing that the cannons are receiving bounties. This has ranged any where from $60 AND 25 lbs of powder, to $100 per cannon. While Cavalry and Infantry are getting nothing. When I ask the event coordinators about this, they tell me, well, we are supplying wood,water and hay. One event coordinator told me they were giving 100 caps to the Infantry and Cavalry.

My husband is Cavalry, and it can cost us quite a bit depending on how far we travel, how many horse we can get in one trailer, ect. Now don't get me wrong, it was our decision to go with the cavalry and have that expense of horses all year round, and the gas of hauling them.

So this is my question, Why then do the Artillery people get so much more? I am not wanting to flame any one here, I am just not understanding it. Shouldn't it all be fair? Shouldn't the Cavarly and Infantry get something too? While the two might not use as much powder as the artillery, they also have the expenses of travel.

I would love to hear from some event coordinators and hear the reasoning behind this.

Thanks for your time,

Joan Goza

jthlmnn
03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I am not an event coordinator and I am infantry, so take this with the appropriate grain of salt.

What comes to mind is the law of supply and demand. The more desirable and scarce the type of participant, the higher the bounty and more frequently paid.

Supply: Cannon are scarce. By comparison, infantry has the greatest numbers. Even with, say 100, individuals from all over, you can form a workable group. Cavalry is smaller in number, but with enough individuals you can still form a workable group. Artillery must have a complete crew accompanying each cannon. It would not strike me as wise to have individuals from different crews working a cannon with which they are not familiar. So, the supply will be naturally low.

Demand: This is totally subjective, but it has struck me that the boom of cannon really shakes people (spectators, in particular) to their core. The more cannon you have, the more impressed the people will be. So, artillery is highly desirable. Add to this the number of events in which artillery could participate, and you have a demand that far outstrips the available number of cannons and crews.

The high demand and low supply of artillery results in their being offered more or better incentives to come. Competition among organizers would contribute to this.

Again, this is merely my perspective. If I am mistaken with any of this, I am certain that a correction will quickly follow.

hope this is helpful,

Pete K
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Artillery crews pay lage sums of insurance payments to do their thing.

bob 125th nysvi
03-07-2007, 01:25 PM
it is literally a bang-for-your-buck thing cannons verses all others.

The cannons are loud and impressive.

Expensive to move (I own horses too so I know all about the expense of moving them) and operate.

Infantry are literally a dime a dozen and there is no shortage of them but events are competing against each other for cannons so highest bidder does factor into the equation.

People who own cavalry horses discourage (with excellent reasons) people from interacting with the horses, this takes away a lot of the 'touch/feel' experience the public can get with cannons.

Unlike horse most artillery units will let you touch a cannon.

I do museum demonstrations with my draft horses. The ability of the specators to touch and feel the demonstration material is very important. It happens with my horses, if people can touch them, pet them, drive them, the demonstration draws a lot more poeple than just riding in the wagon.

So by tossing a few bucks toward the artillery (funded by the Infantry thank you) the organizers get a pretty good 'bang for their buck'.

Pun intended! :)

captdougofky
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Go buy 50lbs of gunpowder and you will have your answer. I average burning 25 pounds per event.

Always
Doug Thomas
Lyons Battery
Kentucky

J Goza
03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
From what I have gathered it's not really an economical thing, it is definitely a supply and demand as you guys have talked about. I talked to a event coordinator in Missouri who told me that their sponsor told them that in order to get cannons there, they have to give a bounty.

To be perfectly honest, it would be nice to get a couple bucks, or a pound of powder for showing up, but that's not why we do this.

Thanks for putting all your .02 in.:D

Joan Goza