PDA

View Full Version : S L O W loading forum

Ephraim_Zook
03-24-2006, 12:20 PM
The Military General Discussion Forum loads so slow I've pretty much stopped reading it for want of patience to wait for it. This is the only forum on this board that loads so slowly; this is the only board that I have this trouble with.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ron Myzie

Wolfgang
03-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I have no idea what it is, but it is really slow at times for me as well, when the other sections work fine.

Miss L
03-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Whew! I thought it was just me. I'd pretty much given up reading it, too. Every other forum here runs fine. For the heck of it, I just timed it. Took 1 minute and 32 seconds to load, and that was actually pretty quick. It's not like I forgot to feed the gerbils or something; I don't have this problem anywhere else.

Do we have any resident computer geniuses who could help?

randyport
03-25-2006, 11:19 AM
One thing to try is to change the view. At the upper right hand corner is a button labelled flat view. This will change the view to only display the topics, not all the threads. The topics will be sorted with latest update at the top, and will be marked as having new data. This should make the loading much faster.

Randall Porteus

Ephraim_Zook
03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, I do run it in flat view already and it took a whopping 2 minutes and 12 seconds to load the military general discussion forum this morning -- and that's at work where I have a T-3 connection.

Arghh.

jthlmnn
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
I am viewing this site via my at-home dial-up connection (so I am obviously not a computer whiz). The various fora (General Military included) are popping in for me at a max of 15 seconds each. The only suggestion I can offer is, if a page is loading slow, go back to the previous page and then flip forward again. Works for me on this and other sites.

If that doesn't fly, try either a novena to St. Isidore of Seville (patron saint of computers, computer operators, pc's and the internet.), or light a candle in front of a photo of Bill Gates and use the old Bullwinkle incantation, "Eenie-meenie, chili-beanie. The spirits are about to speak." (Hey, it worked for HIS crystal ball.)

FWL
04-01-2006, 11:37 AM
One thing to try is to change the view. At the upper right hand corner is a button labelled flat view. This will change the view to only display the topics, not all the threads. The topics will be sorted with latest update at the top, and will be marked as having new data. This should make the loading much faster.

Randall Porteus

Randall I think you have it wrong. The button has to be clicked so it displays "thread view" not flat view. It seems to save the last view you were looking at so if have it on flat view which displays all of the posts it is very hard to load. I have not good to a less used Discussion change the view to Thread view, then go to Military Discussion and it opens very quickly. This has all been very maddning and I fear the the number of posts have gone way down.

Frank Lilley