PDA

View Full Version : Looking for something to make 1,500 miles worthwhile...

MargaretO'Grady
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Help! As the wiser and ever so kind older sibling, I've been "volunteered" to drive my brother out to North Dakota for college in the fall. Since this means taking two weeks off from work, we agreed with the stipulation that I get to attend a CW event on the way out there/coming back.

Does anyone have suggestions for events? I won't be able to bring my tent (this might turn into a Fort Days Inn weekend :( ), but I'll be able to pack clothing and appropriate items. I know falling in to an event as a civilian is considerably harder than as military, but it would be wonderful to experience something that's not on the East Coast. At the very least, I'd like to have something I could visit as a spec, but hoping there's someway to be actually involved??

Anything between DC and Grand Forks, ND is fair game; we have to be in ND on August 17th but I/we'll be on the road basically the second through fourth weeks of the month. I know we're spending some time in Ohio to visit family, but that's about all that's known on the route at this time.

Thank you in advance ~ I know it's early but we have three different schedules to coordinate in my family :rolleyes: will bump the thread closer to packing time.

cookiemom
03-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Meg: Here are two links you might find useful. Perhaps you can plan your route so you will be able to visit several events... :D

http://www.forttyler.com/reenactmentslisting.htm

http://www.civilwarnews.com/calendar/calendar.cfm

Ma

GrumpyDave
03-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Oh, whatever you do, don't miss the Wax Museum in Gettysburg.

Memphis
03-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Why not pick up a road atlas and choose to visit some of those many historic sites made visible by cute little old timey looking symbols? Plenty of history out there for those who seek it, and the 1862 Indian uprising along the Minnesota and Dakota Territory border is not to be sneered at.