PDA

View Full Version : Another ACW game...

Chuck A Luck
03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Now some French company is about to release a strategy game about our most favorite of all wars. Check out the following site and its "gallery" of some of the upcoming game's art!

http://www.a-acw.com/english/gallery.html

While some of the stuff is not too shoddy, much of it seems to be badly researched. Yes, it's being made/researched by the French, but still (as a buddy of mine says), "It's usually just as easy to do it right than to do it wrong."

For instance, in the image gallery, note how it seems as if all the armed units are armed not with chin-high rifled muskets, but with elbow-high carbines. Note the very odd "shoulder arms" position sported by many of the figs. Note the over-use of gaiters among the Feds. And much, much, more!

While I applaud the fact that this appears like it might be a serious game about the war, it would've been nice if they could have paid just a wee bit more time on doing the art better.

Just my 2 cents.

toptimlrd
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Hopefully since the game is not out yet they are refining the graphics. Is it possible they were basing some of the positions and weapons from a French military background? I know nothing about the French military of the period so it is simply a ganuine question. I was surprised to see they included Confederate Zouaves.

jerryeberg
06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
OMG, I am a HUGE video game and Civil War fan, but when they're together, I LOVE it! This game looks cool, it seems almost "alternate history" since there are french, Brit, and Mexican armies. Pretty cool.

The only other CW game that could be considered "good" would be American Conquest: Divided Nation, but it is the absolute minimum of a "good" game.

However, if there are any Age of Empires 3 fans out there, I just happen to know the head modder for a CW mod called "Age of Rebellion"...ME! Check it out here...
http://forums.filefront.com/aoe-modding-mapping-editing/243158-civil-war-mod.html
It is a HUGE forum, but we've gotten pretty far in it (making actually inspired me to start reenacting). We're not done, not even close to a final version. But since I made the units, I got to play it, and it's awesome! :mrgreen:

Here's a collection to all the screenshots
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g49/jerryeberg/gatling%20gun/

reb64
06-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Looks to be a great game but if f rench strategists designed it, the south ha a real chance.

jerryeberg
06-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Wha'chu talking about? The south only had strategy going for them, then you take it all away?

Ocaliman
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
If the French designed it, there should be a button somewhere for the "RETREAT AT ALL HASTE, CURL UP IN A BALL, AND PEE DOWN YOUR LEG." ;)

Looks to be a great game but if f rench strategists designed it, the south ha a real chance.

Frenchie
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
If the French designed it, there should be a button somewhere for the "RETREAT AT ALL HASTE, CURL UP IN A BALL, AND PEE DOWN YOUR LEG." ;)

Of course, it would be marked "SAUVEZ QUE PEUT!"

bob 125th nysvi
06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
now there is an oxy-moron for you.

And remember the last GREAT French general was an Italian!

3rd_PA_Artillery
07-04-2007, 08:17 AM
This game might look cool at first glance, but I downloaded it and it sucks noodles.

ILYankee5
07-04-2007, 11:09 AM
I am surprised that a what if game hasn't came out. i.e. What if the Confederates had tanks during the Pickett-Pettigrew charge. They need to get SOME facts straight and just stay with either a first person or a good strategy game like the Age of the Empire games.