PDA

View Full Version : Wish I'd gone to this school..

sbl
03-02-2007, 08:48 PM
...or I could have sent my children there.

"Re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings 1066/2004"

"This took place on the school playing fields on the 30th March 2004. The first form pupils took on the roles of Normans and Saxons with some third form pupils as Norman horses. . .. . . ."

http://www.lrgs.org.uk/page/?sp=1827

Somebody could loose an eye.

http://www.lrgs.org.uk/page/page/binary/magic/260310/image.jpg

toptimlrd
03-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Ah but there are toy weapons in use which of course (not to mention fake blood....OH THE HORROR) in todays political way of thinking would result in every child being expelled, sent to counselling, and going through sensitivity training since one side loses and the other wins and that simply is not fair (tounge firmly in cheek).

Sorry mods, couldn't resist. Please delete if you feel this is too irreverent ind inapporpriate.

By the way my son's Order of the Arrow (Boy Scout honor society) chapter is presenting a skit based on Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail at their fellowship this weekend. Wish I could be there it should be a hoot. (I know not really related, but the costumes made me think of it) :-D

MStuart
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
In some American schools, these kids would all be arrested for bringing weapons to campus.

Mark

sbl
03-03-2007, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=toptimlrd]Ah but there are toy weapons in use which of course (not to mention fake blood....OH THE HORROR) in todays political way of thinking would result in every child being expelled, sent to counselling, and going through sensitivity training since one side loses and the other wins and that simply is not fair (tounge firmly in cheek).

I agree! My son had a visit from the local PD because his teacher reported him for threatening to stab two kids. They were bullying him and he had a pencil.

I also did a successful but rifle-less CW/WBTS presentation for his school. (We have taken my daughter out of that same private school.)

Pete K
03-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Taking my eighth graders outside each May for close order drill is a must in my school. I get a few comrades from my unit, in full CW uniform (with muskets and bayonet) to put the boys through the School of the soldier, while the girls stand on the sidelines and laugh at the mistakes and falling out of step. Our version of 1860's milita training. Yes, we adults fire blank rounds and show bayonet drill, we set up tents and small cooking fires. Our local police know what we are doing and the school supports it, but we are in rural PA and most of our students have been around firearms
(hunter safety courses). The Brits have nothing on us.

sbl
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Peter,
That sounds like fun. I was amazed and pleased that Colonial Williamsburg has a "muster" for kids. The militia handed out sticks or let the kids use those gift shop rifles. (no eyes poked out) and drilled them in several small companies. There was a little parade up the street at the end with music. My daughter joined in and had a great time.

bob 125th nysvi
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Taking my eighth graders outside each May for close order drill is a must in my school. I get a few comrades from my unit, in full CW uniform (with muskets and bayonet) to put the boys through the School of the soldier, while the girls stand on the sidelines and laugh at the mistakes and falling out of step. Our version of 1860's milita training. Yes, we adults fire blank rounds and show bayonet drill, we set up tents and small cooking fires. Our local police know what we are doing and the school supports it, but we are in rural PA and most of our students have been around firearms
(hunter safety courses). The Brits have nothing on us.

do the school days for the middle schoolers we line up the girls with the boys for drill and usually find out they are more attentive and get it right faster than the boys.