PDA

View Full Version : period dog leash

Pete K
03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I might want to take my dog to a few local small living histories this year. We came across a period phot of a dog just like her. Our plan is to use a plain leather collar, period style buckle, and "D"ring. Our question is what should we use for a leash? Leather strap, hemp rope, light chain? What was period correct? thanks!

RJSamp
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
All of the above.....of course the chain wouldn't be the kind you would buy at a hardware store today.

How about a braided horse hair leash?

This was still the age of sail.....they knew rope, halyards, lines, sheets, and knots......

#1 cash crop of Missouri was hemp....

how about some cotton rope?

prairie grass rope is strong.....we've had tug of wars with it.....but it would be a trifle thick for dog restraining line...

RJ Samp

7thMDYankee
03-23-2006, 12:32 PM
I had the same idea a few years back. My dog was very well behaved and very obedient. However, she soon took a strong dislike to musket fire during a demonstration. The cannon demo did her in. She went nuts. I know different dogs react differently, but from my experience you may want to make sure it's an event that is not too far from home if you have to bail, etc... Fortunately for me it was not a big problem - it was close. Just two cents of unsolicited advice.

Rob
03-23-2006, 06:23 PM
How about one of the early-war leather canteen slings? At six feet in length, it would be just about right.