PDA

View Full Version : Factasy.com more like Plagarism.com

SmellyFed
02-24-2007, 01:30 AM
I visited the Factasy.com website tonite and they seem to be doing yeoman's work there writing the history of the Civil War... of course they aren't actually writing anything, they are cutting and pasting with no credit given to the actual authors.

Case in point
http://www.factasy.com/civil_war/civil_war_prisons/andersonville.shtml - nice writeup there... even nicer when the same text originally appeared at http://www.cr.nps.gov/seac/histback.htm

The googlers guide to plagarism.

tompritchett
02-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Sounds like they may have attended the Camp Chase School of Civil War Journalism. Meow.

ThumbStall
02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Is it the owner of the site doing the plagerism, or is it the users?

bill watson
02-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I can't call up the original site this morning, but it looks like a National Park Service url. If that's the case, I think it's smart to attribute the information to the NPS because they have a certain amount of credibility. But I'm not sure failing to do that rises to the level of plagiarism, because I'm not sure whether the material is considered already public record/public domain by virtue of it being assembled by a public agency for use by the public.

I don't have a dog in the fight. But it should be pointed out that nobody slapped a name on this and claimed it; it's research material aggregated on the site and that's what I understood it to be from the git-go.

SmellyFed
02-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I think the absence of any identifying references as to the original source is about the same as saying "I wrote this".

Wounded_Zouave
02-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like they may have attended the Camp Chase School of Civil War Journalism. Meow. Hmmm... Tom, you wrote this on another thread:

>>"I am locking this thread down as it has degenerated into bashing other forums. Irregardless, of whether one feels that the bashing is deserved or undeserved, it has no place here."<<

A double standard? Do as I say, not as I do? :? Hmmmm....

Quite frankly, I think you should spend more time being a silent moderator and less time being an vocal commentator. The two roles have obviously come into conflict. :) :p

SmellyFed
02-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I believe Moderators are allowed to have opinions.

flattop32355
02-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I believe Moderators are allowed to have opinions.

So long as they don't conflict with mine.... ;)

bill watson
02-24-2007, 07:21 PM
"I believe Moderators are allowed to have opinions."

Yeah, but it takes a certain level of trust from folks before a moderator gets comfortable expressing them, and before forum users have a comfort level with the opinions being expressed by a moderator. Tom's got a long track record at being even-handed.

This little aside really struck home. I now moderate the forums on my newspaper's website. While on the one hand it's crucial to set a conversational, reasonable, informative, noncontentious tone with the posts I make, on the other hand I've got to deal with trolls, sock puppets, racists, and cyberbullies, and on yet another hand the temptation to verbally slice those folks, rather than just cybersplatter them into nonexistence by hitting "blocked," is enormous. The problem should be obvious; I need three hands. :-)

Sgt_Pepper
02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Quite frankly, I think you should spend more time being a silent moderator and less time being an vocal commentator. The two roles have obviously come into conflict. :) :p

If and when a moderator slot should become available in the foreseeable future, how would you like the chance to practice what you preach?

toptimlrd
02-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't believe Tom was referring to another forum, but discussing a recognized case of plaigarism the Camp Chase Gazette was guilty of a few months ago in offence the the Civil War Historian. Sorry but stating a fact is not bashing another forum.

Rob Weaver
02-24-2007, 09:18 PM
I think Tom is OK, but his cat is really mouthy. :p

tompritchett
02-25-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't believe Tom was referring to another forum, but discussing a recognized case of plaigarism the Camp Chase Gazette was guilty of a few months ago in offence the the Civil War Historian. Sorry but stating a fact is not bashing another forum.

You are quite right. I was not bashing the Common Ground Forum (the old Camp Chase Forum), particularly since I am a moderator there also, but rather the magazine over instances involving material previously published by others. Also I was quite aware that I was being catty and thus ended my comment with the meow.

Wounded_Zouave
03-03-2007, 12:29 PM
If and when a moderator slot should become available in the foreseeable future, how would you like the chance to practice what you preach? Smileys everywhere and you still can't recognize a joke? Oh, brother...

Sgt_Pepper
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
I recognized it. Putting little smiley icons on it doesn't mean I have to like it.

Pete K
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Back to the original thread.... I won't let my students use this site unless the sources are listed. Documentation is a must in my classroom. What was Matthew Broderick's line in "Glory"? "... teach them properly..."