PDA

View Full Version : 19th Century Weddings

ohioreb
02-17-2007, 01:45 PM
My fiance and I are planning to have a reenactor's wedding sometime this fall.
I'd appreciate any insight/thoughts on customs/traditions/etiquette of the '61-'65 period, as well as any recommendations for any events (w/in a couple of hours of Northern VA.) that might be worth checking out as a place to hold the ceremony.
Thanks!

ohioreb

huntdaw
02-17-2007, 02:25 PM
There is an abundance of material available on customs, traditions etc. I suggest you begin your wedding plans with some research. You'll get much more information that you can use as opposed to just posting a general question on this forum.

VaTrooper
02-17-2007, 10:41 PM
*edited* wrong thread.

ohioreb
02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
There is an abundance of material available on customs, traditions etc. I suggest you begin your wedding plans with some research. You'll get much more information that you can use as opposed to just posting a general question on this forum.

Thank you, however I can assure you that an internet forum occupied mostly by folks I have never met is not exactly the *first* place I go for assistance in a matter of such scale.
I've been researching many sources in preparation for a happy & authentic ceremony and celebration, but lest I should miss something along the way, was hopeful that some of the good ladies (or gents, for that matter) on this forum could provide any ideas to make it better, or give personal recommendations for some of the details pertaining to a Victorian wedding.
I may have heard of or read of them before, but any contributions here are *indeed* greatly appreciated.
We've already received our company's schedule for this year and obviously, it would be nice to have the ceremony at an event they will be at... though it is not neccessarily imperative. He proposed to me at Cedar Creek, so obviously that event carries with it some sentiment, but it is so late in the fall and we were hoping for an outdoor ceremony (though, again, not *neccessary*) so that isn't entirely feasible. Any suggestions for particular events or historic churches would also help quite a bit.
Thanks,
ohioreb

ElizabethClark
02-19-2007, 10:44 AM
OhioReb, are you going for a recreation of a period ceremony and celebration, right down to the language of the service and the clothing of the celebrant? Or do you want a "flavor" of historicity, but anticipate some modern inclusions, such as your denomination's modern marriage service language, a modern-dressed minister, etc?

mmescher
02-19-2007, 09:11 PM
If I could add one more question. What denomination would you want for the wedding? That could affect if you use a historic church.

If I could make one suggestion about having it at an event. I'd recommend not making it part of the official program. To have a wedding in the activity tent where people can wander in and out as they please (and they will) takes a bit away from the meaning of the occasion. I would recommend having it under a fly in the camp, surrounded by your friends from your unit and other friends from the reenacting community and put pickets out around the site to keep spectators at a respectful distance.

Just my thoughts.

Michael Mescher

VaTrooper
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
apologies. again.

ohioreb
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Ms. Clark-

My uncle is a preacher and has a wonderful reproduction of a minister's suit, so that is taken care of. I would like to have the service done just as it would have been in the WBtS era. Obviously I'm not going to require my guests to attend in period attire, but I expect to have my attendant(s) suited up authentically.

MMescher-

My denomination is independent (Protestant) fundamental. Probably the best impression would be Methodist.... possibly Baptist, for that time period.
Thanks for the suggestion for keeping the distance. I don't really want strangers milling around during one of the most important moments in my life.
Question- would a pine arbor be appropriate for an early fall wedding?

bizzilizzit
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Any suggestions for particular events or historic churches would also help quite a bit.
Thanks,
ohioreb

My suggestion is to stay away from large events, like Cedar Creek. Your family and guests will thank you.
Elizabeth