PDA

View Full Version : History Channel USS Constellation Show

TheSignalCorpsGuy
02-15-2007, 11:36 AM
Curious if anybody else caught the USS Constellation show on the History Channel last Sunday evening.

From my perspective - it looked pretty good. I did notice that they over-used several clips (one I counted 9 times). Also - the drum that they used was the cheap pakistanni type.

Overall - good information - especially on the slave aspect. I would like to have had more info on the ship's history and what it did after it's African Squadron duties.

But - I think it was put on to help promote the Movie "Amazing Grace" (which sponsored the show).

I did a living history on the ship a few years back. We did Signaling from the ship to "Federal Hill" in Baltimore. (yes - Army Signalists were routinely sent on Navy ships to provide communications with ground entities). It is a tremendous ship!

Any other thoughts?

ILYankee5
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Overall the History Channel did an excellent job, they presented some fascinating history with a great narrative to go along with it. If I had to point out any flaws it would have been some of the actors accents. I know on the east coast a lot of people have a "New England" accent, but not an English accent trying to be masked by a Southern accent. But not all characters were that way. Overall though, a great show and supplement for the class room, one that many lesson plans can be drawn from for teaching.:p

Oh by the way, it appears that it will be on again for those who missed it Tuesday Feb. 27 at 8 a.m or if are not that early of a riser; there is one at 2 p.m.
http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=211030&action=detail

reb64
02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=TheSignalCorpsGuy]Curious if anybody else caught the USS Constellation show on the History Channel last Sunday evening.

That was interesting, showing yanks violating the slave laws.

sbl
02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=TheSignalCorpsGuy]Curious if anybody else caught the USS Constellation show on the History Channel last Sunday evening.

...that was interesting, showing yanks violating the slave laws.

That's pretty much a big "no sh*t". Southrons don't sail anywhere that they can't touch bottom. :wink:

reb64
02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=reb64]

That's pretty much a big "no sh*t". Southrons don't sail anywhere that they can't touch bottom. :wink:

The south, thats who, yet who kept bringing them in, yankee shippers. The same moral equivalnet of "I don't do drugs, but I sell them to others"

sbl
02-16-2007, 06:26 AM
reb64,

Yep...but cheap labor is addictive.

"This was your brain on slavery."

Of course there also were Yankees in the navy trying to stop the trade. I don't think anyone in this "hobby" , folks who read the books, has any illusions about the shared guilt of slavery. The people who aren't aware of this part of our history aren't aware of the rest of it.

ILYankee5
02-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Gentleman,

As we all know many northerners either felt slavery was alright or just did not care. Example, I am from Southern Illinois, there were several "stops" on the underground railroad there, however, there were many who tried to gather slaves and return them to the South (of course for compensation). On the east coast, especially New York City who was home to several anti-US riots (and considered secession) in the 1860's, was a hub for the distribution of slavery whether it was private or in the open. There were mixed emotions all over the country (as you all know). Many men on the Constellation could have probably gave a care about slavery or illegal slave trade, but they were doing their duty. The point of this though is the all time question, "Why was the Civil War fought?" Was it slavery, states rights, regional differences, rich men in the north and south fighting over who has the most money, or was it a social revolution? That question is for the individual interpreter or historian to answer. To many it is a mixture of them all. But to me, it is and will always be a never ending battle to determine the exact cause.

NoahBriggs
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Did they mention the unofficial joint exercises with the Royal British Navy? It seems the Brits were deployed to the West Africa coast on a similar mission, with the intent to pacify those in the UK who were asking something be done about the slave trade.

My naval history is rather rusty, so I do not know if in fact it was a true "joint" mission.

GaWildcat
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I think they mentioned something about it.. but I cant fully remember. I had to do some politicking and share the TV time with the wife, and as she is nice to me, so I am nice to her and changed the channel about half way through. All in all, I thought it was a pretty good show.

As for the current North v. South arguments, Anybody notice that when the History Channel does do something about our peculiar era, they are starting to be pretty fair in the blaming game??? I refer to the very good (IMHO) program "Eighty Acres of ****", the Camp Douglas story that they did, and now the story of the Constellation and the Northern involvment in the illegal slave trade....giving a little to each side, fairly and unbiased (gee.... could the politicos, "New Media", and "Mainstream Media", and the rest of America maybe take a lesson???:rolleyes: but I digress). Although I have been a little disappointed in the Big H, (way too much Modern Marvels and UFO stuff....Im almost ready for the heavy dose of WW2 they used to do again), I do commend them for thier efforts to show that there was a much wrong with the Union war effort as there was in with the Confederate. I wish they would bring back Civil War Combat, yeah, even Civil War Journal....Sigh.. maybe one day.:(

ILYankee5
02-17-2007, 01:17 AM
The History Channel is doing a lot better with presenting both sides and views on history with their newer stuff. I agree though about all the Modern Marvels and UFO Files. I am getting sick of watching "the history of candy" or "disc shape objects". I have to admit, I got kind of burned out on WWII a year ago, but now I gladly invite it or Civil War Journal back. Also, whatever happened to programs on Rev War, French and Indian (Seven Years) or The War of 1812. They never show anyting about them! But overall their bias is or the lack their of is getting much better.

sbl
02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Aww come on...aren't you interested in Nostrodamus and the Da Vinci Code anymore?

GaWildcat
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I swan, I am about Knights Templared out, as is my wife. There once was a time when my two ex's thought the TV was broke and only picked up one channel!

I can remember great shows like the ones on Robert Rodgers, Pontiac, Daniel Boone and George Rodgers Clarke; the series they did on the American Revolution... I can go on and on.... but now its gotten sooooo boring. I hate to say it, but I dont really watch the History Channel untless I hear something is gonna be on. They did have a really good one on last year about LT Cushing (Alonzo's brother) and the CSS Albemarle... that was pretty good.

I think the worst was the one they did on reenacting, and then turned it into a political statement...(Though I think Mr Anders did a great job in that one!)

ILYankee5
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
GaWildcat,

I know what you're saying, in fact I ordered a great one "Frontier Legends of The Old Northwest." It is a 2 disc set that includes Rogers Rangers, Pontiac's Rebellion, George Rogers Clark (Long Knives), and Tecumseh Dreams of Confederation. But enough complaining, I am going to settle in and watch Ancient Discoveries :rolleyes: