PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Garrison Flagpole

Private Glover
11-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Greetings and salutations!

I'm the new superintendent over Fort Fetterman, on the eastern Wyoming prairie. And while not strictly Civil War era (1867 - 1882) it still falls within the same general period.

Our flagpole is in dire need of replacement. I want an appropriate reproduction, not just something big and not just something "oldie-timey". It's 60' tall, is of two piece construction, and looks like a ship's mast complete with rigging. I tried to upload a photo but without success. The idea is that it will flex in the not-inconsiderable Wyoming wind without snapping.

Would any of you folks know whom I could contact about getting proper plans for one of these? Even if you know a guy who might know a guy?

If you e-mail at mel.glover@wyo.gov I'd be happy to send you a great photo of this cool flagpole.

Thanks in advance.

cavsgt
11-19-2015, 03:46 AM
We did quite a bit of work with Ft. Larned some years ago. They have what I think is the same pole and were saying that it had been renovated sometime, not sure when. They have some really neat contacts with .gov., got back the original bunks from storage in Ohio.
They might be worth a call as they were super to work with.

Spinster
11-19-2015, 04:53 AM
Mel,

I'm shooting in the dark here. I'd start with Jim Moffet, Joe Blunt, and Cody Mobley as men who have spent too much time in forts and might have a clue.

Pick them up off my Facebook list if you don't have them.

And Congratulations on the position.

Rob Weaver
11-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Congratulations on your position out there! I visited your fort about 10 years ago in a trip that also included Ft. Phil Kearney and the Little Bighorn battlefield. I would love to go through there again.

Private Glover
11-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys. I'll follow up on these suggestions.

Yeah, it's a pretty cool site and I feel as though I hit the Lotto with this new gig. We're trying to arrange a (non-historical) event revolving around the 2017 total solar eclipse. I'm imagining a garrison flag just straight out from the new pole in the Wyoming wind, while the totality goes on in the background behind it!