PDA

View Full Version : "Our Army Nurses" by Mary Gardner Holland - new Google Books resource

Robert A Mosher
02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I came across this 1895 book during a search on Google Books. Written by a former nurse working with Union wounded, it brings together the stories and anecdotes regarding the experiences of several dozen women who worked as nurses during the war, in many cases accompanied by photos or portraits of the ladies. This looks like an interesting new resources for those interested in portraying such wartime experiences. The full title is "Our Army Nurses - Interesting Sketches, Addresses, and Photographs of nearly One Hundred of the Noble Women who Served in Hospitals and on the Battlefields during our Civil War" compiled by Mary A Gardner Holland and published in 1895 by B. Wilkins and Company of Boston. Go to Google Books and click on full view. It can be downloaded in PDF form, a file 8.5 MB

Robert A. Mosher

vmescher
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
The full title is "Our Army Nurses - Interesting Sketches, Addresses, and Photographs of nearly One Hundred of the Noble Women who Served in Hospitals and on the Battlefields during our Civil War" compiled by Mary A Gardner Holland and published in 1895 by B. Wilkins and Company of Boston. Go to Google Books and click on full view. It can be downloaded in PDF form, a file 8.5 MB

Robert A. Mosher

If you want a regular book, it is also available through Edinborough Press. http://www.edinborough.com/Books/Books.html

They also have published several other books that relate to nurses during the civil war.

celtfiddler
03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
This looks like an interesting new resources for those interested in portraying such wartime experiences. The full title is "Our Army Nurses - Interesting Sketches, Addresses, and Photographs of nearly One Hundred of the Noble Women who Served in Hospitals and on the Battlefields during our Civil War" compiled by Mary A Gardner Holland and published in 1895 by B. Wilkins and Company of Boston. Go to Google Books and click on full view. It can be downloaded in PDF form, a file 8.5 MB

Robert A. Mosher

I own a copy of the book and it's well worth downloading or purchasing a copy. I don't have my copy in front of me (in the process of relocating due to hubby's career)--but if memory serves me correctly most of the photos of the nurses are post war. Still a great resource