PDA

View Full Version : School project

5thNYcavalry
02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I have to do a research project for school and I am doing the battle of Atlanta. I was wondering if anyone knows any good online references I could use:confused::confused::confused:. All the ones I find don't even pertain to the Civil War. I hate researching the internet!!!!

MStuart
02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
http://ngeorgia.com/history/atlcamp.html

Lots of links to research. Good luck,

Mark

Rob
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Atlanta+Civil+War

Minieball577
02-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I am sure your teacher wanted you to do the research, not ask others for the answers. I would rip my students apart if I was trying to have them learn how to research, or further develop research skills, and they came to what is essentially a "give me the answer" forum. Especially so if it were a junior or senior.

Rob
02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I hate researching the internet!!!!

All I did was to go to Google and punch in the words "Atlanta" and "Civil War". What the **** is so hard about that?

Back in my day we had to actually go to the library and read books. God forbid.

tompritchett
02-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I am sure your teacher wanted you to do the research, not ask others for the answers. I would rip my students apart if I was trying to have them learn how to research, or further develop research skills, and they came to what is essentially a "give me the answer" forum. Especially so if it were a junior or senior.

To be fair, he did not ask for others to give him summaries of the battles but rather links from which he could conduct his own research. He also indicated that he had tried searching the Internet and had not found data on the actual battle/campaign itself. The issue here apparently was not that he did not wish to do the research but that he lacked the experience and skills to properly phrase his Internet searches to provide him the information he was seeking without having to wade through multitudes of unrelated material. IMHO, his request is no different that the many requests that we get for the best resources for information on other topics.

Also, in light of his request, does anyone know of any good books that might also cover this campaign that he might be able to request via inter-library loans?

flattop32355
02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Also, in light of his request, does anyone know of any good books that might also cover this campaign that he might be able to request via inter-library loans?

Echoes of Battle: The Atlanta Campaign by Larry M. Strayer and Richard A. Baumgartner. Blue Acorn Press

5thNYcavalry
02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
All I did was to go to Google and punch in the words "Atlanta" and "Civil War". What the **** is so hard about that?

Back in my day we had to actually go to the library and read books. God forbid.

I am being told to use one online source. I would rather use only books. It is so much easier. We ar also being told not to use Google.

ThumbStall
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
I am being told to use one online source. I would rather use only books. It is so much easier. We ar also being told not to use Google. Is this a "trick" assignment? The single one-day action called the Battle of Atlanta, taken out of context from the other Atlanta-area battles, seems like a strange assignment. Is your teacher actually referring to the July 22, 1864 battle or to the series of battles that made up the entire Atlanta campaign?

Your teacher doesn't seem to have much of a clue. How does he/she expect you to find an internet source to begin with without using Google or some other commonplace search engine? I wish I was in your class. I'd love to embarrass your teacher with a lot of obvious questions he/she probably can't answer. :twisted: This assignment doesn't seem to have been thought out very well.

The Atlanta Campaign Battles:

Rocky Face Ridge
Resaca
Adairsville
New Hope Church
Dallas
Pickett's Mills
Pine Mountain
Gilgal Church
Noonday Creek
Kolb's Farm
Kennesaw Mountain
Ruff's Mill
Peachtree Creek
Atlanta <---- (Looks kinda lost among all these other battles for Atlanta, don't it?)
Ezra Church
Utoy Creek
Dalton II
Lovejoy's Station
Jonesborough

Rob
02-13-2007, 02:05 PM
I am being told to use one online source. I would rather use only books. It is so much easier. We ar also being told not to use Google.

Joe -

That's just plain silly of the teacher to say that. You have to start searching somewhere.

(Of course, if they specifically said "Google", you can use AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, All the Web, Information Please, etc., etc. There are lots of search engines out there.)

Or, pick a link and tell 'em I gave it to you. I'll swear to it. :D

Rob

Minieball577
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Joe -

That's just plain silly of the teacher to say that. You have to start searching somewhere.

(Of course, if they specifically said "Google", you can use AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, All the Web, Information Please, etc., etc. There are lots of search engines out there.)

Or, pick a link and tell 'em I gave it to you. I'll swear to it. :D

Rob

I think maybe all of you should give the college educated teacher a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. Students also have a tendency to write notes during class, stare into space, stare at the buttcrack of the guy/girl in front of them, not write things down, misinterpret, plain-ass ignore, and etc.

I tell my students all the time not to "CITE" google, as it is not source material, but rather a tool for finding sources. Students have a tendency to say when asked about sources that they "Found it on Google" which is not true, they found it on a website that was located using google.

Are you sure your teacher didn't say something like what I have above?

toptimlrd
02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I think maybe all of you should give the college educated teacher a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. Students also have a tendency to write notes during class, stare into space, stare at the buttcrack of the guy/girl in front of them, not write things down, misinterpret, plain-ass ignore, and etc.

I tell my students all the time not to "CITE" google, as it is not source material, but rather a tool for finding sources. Students have a tendency to say when asked about sources that they "Found it on Google" which is not true, they found it on a website that was located using google.

And to go further, something I challenge my son to do when he writes a research paper is to look at the sources he cites and ask him if he was able to collaborate the information from another source. What's funny is he has never rolled his eyes or gotten exasperated when I challenged him. As he is preparing for college, he seems to understand and actually appreciate my rather tough standards.

flattop32355
02-13-2007, 10:34 PM
...look at the sources he cites and ask him if he was able to collaborate the information from another source.

Collaborate or corroborate?

Methinks you intended the latter.

toptimlrd
02-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Collaborate or corroborate?

Methinks you intended the latter.

You would be correct sir! What I get for typing with the mother of all sinus headaches, took the first thing spell check shot at me; bad bad bad!

flattop32355
02-13-2007, 11:28 PM
You would be correct sir! What I get for typing with the mother of all sinus headaches, took the first thing spell check shot at me; bad bad bad!

Glad to be of service. That's what we (former) corporals do.

Rob
02-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Students have a tendency to say when asked about sources that they "Found it on Google" which is not true, they found it on a website that was located using google.

Makes a heckuva lot more sense than "being told not to use Google". Of course, I would never have thought to credit Google for a site found via one of their links.

tompritchett
02-14-2007, 07:02 AM

In one of my classes, I assign a report that requires that they pull a lot of their information from the Internet, primarily because the understanding in the field is changing so fast that most books on the subject are absolute [obsolete] within just a couple of years of being published. For their Internet sources, I specifically require the full URL listing as their citation.

Provost
02-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Sgt, you enjoyed that, didn't you? ... Shame on you... :)

Provost
02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Gentlemen,

As the question stands, please let's focus on the topic as stated and not diverge too far into the state of education today and the issues related to internet sources. Or spelring erlors.

These other concepts are fair game for a new thread, but I think it might be best if discussed on a thread specifically for that purpose. It IS relevant for our hobby, and for these forums, I must say.

Thank you.

Best of luck, Joseph, and let us know how you do with it, ok?

Provost

tompritchett
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Actually SGT_Pepper, thank you for the correction. You knew what I was trying to say did not match what I actually said and corrected it accordingly. Thanks.

toptimlrd
02-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Actually SGT_Pepper, thank you for the correction. You knew what I was trying to say did not match what I actually said and corrected it accordingly. Thanks.

Good, so I'm not the only one with fat fingered syndrome. :-)

reb64
02-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Is this a "trick" assignment? The single one-day action called the Battle of Atlanta, taken out of context from the other Atlanta-area battles, seems like a strange assignment. Is your teacher actually referring to the July 22, 1864 battle or to the series of battles that made up the entire Atlanta campaign?

Your teacher doesn't seem to have much of a clue. How does he/she expect you to find an internet source to begin with without using Google or some other commonplace search engine? I wish I was in your class. I'd love to embarrass your teacher with a lot of obvious questions he/she probably can't answer. :twisted: This assignment doesn't seem to have been thought out very well.

The Atlanta Campaign Battles:

Rocky Face Ridge
Resaca
Adairsville
New Hope Church
Dallas
Pickett's Mills
Pine Mountain
Gilgal Church
Noonday Creek
Kolb's Farm
Kennesaw Mountain
Ruff's Mill
Peachtree Creek
Atlanta <---- (Looks kinda lost among all these other battles for Atlanta, don't it?)
Ezra Church
Utoy Creek
Dalton II
Lovejoy's Station
Jonesborough

Heck, half the paper can be just explaining how the overall battle is a actually comprised of a series of battles. I would be halfway done in one sitting.

Sgt_Pepper
02-14-2007, 07:45 PM

Tom, you're welcome. But now that I think of it I should have just replaced the word "absolute" with "obsolete" instead of adding it in brackets. I've corrected spelling errors that way; I guess I used the editorial brackets because it wasn't a spelling error. Funny how my mind came up with that. Well, I'll get that second cup of coffee in me before firing up the computer from now on. :)

cblodg
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM

I can tell you right now that the ability for a high school student to properly cite a paper is next to nill (which I find funny considering there is a citation machine on the net that will pretty much do any form MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian).

I had to write a 50 page paper about NH involvement at the Battle of Gettysburg, you know where I found my information? In a book and long hours at our state library and archives. The net has made finding things so easy now, that people don't even stop to look and see if the info matches any knowledge they might already have. And for a teacher (or college professor) to say that you can only use the internet, sounds iffy to me. I can tell you that If I ever cite a website outside of JSTOR or H-NET, my history professor would have my hide.

Rob
02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
By the way, I know this kid. He was in the unit I started out with, and he decided he wanted to be a critter soldier. At some of the presentations I did last year at some of the local libraries, he was the only one who showed up to help. (Thanks again, Joe.)

I wish him all the best - and I didn't say anything that I wouldn't have said in person. (Ask him.)

5thNYcavalry
03-13-2007, 12:50 PM
The project hs been handed in and we are suppoed to get them back next week. I hope I get a good grade on it. From what I have heard from teachers, not many people did their RESEARCH part of the project.