PDA

View Full Version : Well, here I sit,

flattop32355
02-11-2007, 04:48 AM
at 4:46 am, in my dental office.

I've been broken into.

Apparently, the alarm system scared them away, and nothing is missing, but the glass to the hall and entryway doors is totally shattered, and I'm waiting for the fellow to show up to put in new glass. It is rather cold in here, and I'd rather be home in bed.

So the next time someone complains to me that something about the hobby doesn't sit just right with them, I'll just smile and think that real life is more difficult, and the hobby is what I do to get away from it for a while.

And it could be worse: I could live under the snow in New York. You folk have my sympathies.

KarinTimour
02-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Dear Bernard:

I'm so sorry to hear about your break-in, and glad that apparently nothing was stolen. Is it possible to reinforce the glass in those doors with something?

I had a break in at my home -- I remember how enraged I was that anyone would break into MY home.

Good thing that the alarm scared them away and that no one was hurt.

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Ohioreb1861
02-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry to hear about it. I really hope nothing was taken, I used to live in Columbus many years ago and really don't wish to move back anytime soon.

Bernard, good luck. We'll probably meet at a reenactment this year.

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 09:24 AM
in the parts of the state you don't want to live in. Like near Buffalo.

Actually I think the Canadians are trying out a new secret weapon.

Seriously though sorry about the thugs. After the nitrisoxcide you think?

Skip Arensmann
02-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Bernard (Dr.):
I was where you are one month ago, garage broken into. $2500+ astronomy equipment stolen, bikes, > $5K total. But, they left my shelter halves, stakes, and poles :) . I thought they took the poles at first.........Pretty much everything is replaceable. I agree, it could be worse. But, the 'violated' feeling is still there, even after more than a month.

Regards
Skip

IsleGuy57
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Bernard,

Sorry to hear about that. A nasty way to be woken up no doubt. The small good thing is that none of your equipment, etc was stolen. There is a great testiment for a good alarm system.

And Bob....it is a plot by us Canucks to get the sales of Back Bacon up. If we can get the snow line far enough south, you folks will start saying eh, buying things with $1 coins and eating more Canadian bacon, eh?? Oh yeah.......and maybe making some real beer. :D

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Bernard,

And Bob....it is a plot by us Canucks to get the sales of Back Bacon up. If we can get the snow line far enough south, you folks will start saying eh, buying things with $1 coins and eating more Canadian bacon, eh?? Oh yeah.......and maybe making some real beer. :D

if you want everything north of Buffalo/Rochester line and West of I-81, $24 (American no funny money) and some beads and it's yours. I'll even throw in Cleveland.

As too beer, you're out of luck my friend, I'm a tea-totaler.

So you know about American Beer and how it is like making love in a canoe ... FN close to water.

But at least we're not Mexico

TParker
02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Hey, don't be so quick to be giving away Western New York. We're the only normal part of the state. The rest of it is too close to NYC or the dysfunctional state government. And despite what you think, there isn't all that much snow here. Or at least, WE don't think it is too much.

And we LIKE being close to where we can get real beer!

Terry Parker
136th NY

flattop32355
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks for you good wishes and concerns. In the end, it was nothing more than some broken glass and displaced sleep. It's already been repaired; had to stay there in the cold until 6:00 am, but it's done.

Karen: This was easy compared to my home being broken into back in 1981, not long after I started dentistry. I walked in on two fellows who had ransacked our house, then couldn't figure out how to leave through casemate windows in a bedroom. Without thinking, I walked back to the bedroom and asked, "What are you doing in my house?" They said, "We didn't know it was your house."

I told them to leave before I could positively identify them, and they left. I followed them out, hollered to a neighbor to call the police, and chased them on foot to where one of them lived, about a quarter mile away. As they tried to drive off, the police got them. Both did time, and I got a reputation in the town right off the bat for being feisier than I really am. I agree, the sense of violation stays with you for a long time.

As for sending western NY to Canada: If they'll give us back Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, we'll send 'em NYC, Albany, the Clinton's, and parts of Massachusetts. But Canada doesn't behave, they also have to take Ted Kennedy and John Kerry.

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey, don't be so quick to be giving away Western New York. We're the only normal part of the state. The rest of it is too close to NYC or the dysfunctional state government. And despite what you think, there isn't all that much snow here. Or at least, WE don't think it is too much.

And we LIKE being close to where we can get real beer!

Terry Parker
136th NY

normal about Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse. In the Late 80's/early 90's I helped clean up the savings and loan crisis and MOST of the banks that failed in NY were in the western "normal" part of the state. All the money in WNY was saved by those banks in the 'abnormal' parts of the state.

The bankers out west were either crooks like in Texas (70% 0f the S&Ls failed) or just plain incompetent. Take your pick.

Besides if we trade you to Canada you get away from the high taxes (the reality is the vast majority of taxes are raised and not spent in the Metro NYC/LI area) and incompetent government, right.

But I do understand you liking being close to real beer.

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
As for sending western NY to Canada: If they'll give us back Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, we'll send 'em NYC, Albany, the Clinton's, and parts of Massachusetts. But Canada doesn't behave, they also have to take Ted Kennedy and John Kerry.

if they take Clintons, Kennedy and Kerry (we'll throw in Pelosi) I'll keep Western NY, NYC (but not Albany), take Quebec and GIVE them $24 and some beads.

Ohioreb1861
02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Bob,

Don't be too quick in throwing Cleveland either, but you can have the Browns.

For the beer, you guys can have you Canadian and American pee water.:D

sbl
02-11-2007, 02:10 PM
"And it could be worse: I could live under the snow in New York. You folk have my sympathies."

Exactly! I'm on the coast, north of Boston..no measurable snow this winter...yet.

I'm not complaining at all!

reb64
02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=flattop32355]Thanks for you good wishes and concerns. In the end, it was nothing more than some broken glass and displaced sleep. It's already been repaired; had to stay there in the cold until 6:00 am, but it's done.

Karen: This was easy compared to my home being broken into back in 1981, not long after I started dentistry. I walked in on two fellows who had ransacked our house, then couldn't figure out how to leave through casemate windows in a bedroom. Without thinking, I walked back to the bedroom and asked, "What are you doing in my house?" They said, "We didn't know it was your house."

Should have walked back in with a shotgun and dropped them both. Its your tent by God!

flattop32355
02-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Should have walked back in with a shotgun and dropped them both. Its your tent by God!

That's the other fun part of the story.

As the neighbors began to congregate around, and I had to tell the story of what happened several times, the usual response was, "Well, why didn't you just shoot them?" They were rather surprised to discover that I didn't, and never had, owned a gun (my first was the '63 Springfield I got at G'burg 2003).

When I went before the Grand Jury to testify, I told my story, and after a moment, the forman said, "Why didn't you just shoot them?" I sighed, and pointed out that they had ransacked the place pretty well, and if I'd had a gun in the house, they would have had it, not me, and I'd have likely been the one getting shot.

He got a puzzled look on his face, then said, "Oh, ....yeah, I guess so."

TParker
02-11-2007, 08:04 PM
normal about Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse. In the Late 80's/early 90's I helped clean up the savings and loan crisis and MOST of the banks that failed in NY were in the western "normal" part of the state. All the money in WNY was saved by those banks in the 'abnormal' parts of the state.

The bankers out west were either crooks like in Texas (70% 0f the S&Ls failed) or just plain incompetent. Take your pick.

Besides if we trade you to Canada you get away from the high taxes (the reality is the vast majority of taxes are raised and not spent in the Metro NYC/LI area) and incompetent government, right.

But I do understand you liking being close to real beer.

Bob,
I also know a little about the S&L issue here, and know that the largest one that failed in Buffalo was put under by the government that forced them to acquire other filing thrifts under the promise that the "goodwill" of the acquired institution could be counted as an asset. When the government changed the rules and the good will was no longer an asset it made them insolvent on paper and they closed them. Nothing to do with the management, only the rules they were playing by, and the government makes and changes the rules as they want.

But that is off the topic. I hope that Bernard recovers from his burglary, and hope the police may be able to track down the responsible parties. They will likely be found to be responsible for multiple other crimes.

And I hope you, Bob, will be out here in the "real" part of New York this summer to experience our reenactment community and hospitality.

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Bob,
I also know a little about the S&L issue here, and know that the largest one that failed in Buffalo was put under by the government that forced them to acquire other filing thrifts under the promise that the "goodwill" of the acquired institution could be counted as an asset. When the government changed the rules and the good will was no longer an asset it made them insolvent on paper and they closed them. Nothing to do with the management, only the rules they were playing by, and the government makes and changes the rules as they want.

it is another topic but I can categorically say that what was represented to you about why the largest S&L in Buffalo going under was not entirely true. I know as I was the records manager of the institution that acquired THAT one and was responsible for reviewing, cataloging and turning over to the feds all the records they wanted on that situation.

Goodwill was known to be disappearing years before it happened. Most of our affiliates made plans our leasing managers didn't and sank their division.

But as you say another topic.

Oh the people in Western NY are very hospitable, no problems there and I love going to Mumford every year.

bob 125th nysvi
02-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Don't be too quick in throwing Cleveland either, but you can have the Browns.

but I need to keep the Browns.

The Jets have to have someone they can consistantly beat.

Love southern Ohio, especially Dayton.

That's why I want to get rid of Cleveland, the rest of the state is so nice.

5thNYcavalry
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
So the next time someone complains to me that something about the hobby doesn't sit just right with them, I'll just smile and think that real life is more difficult, and the hobby is what I do to get away from it for a while.

And it could be worse: I could live under the snow in New York. You folk have my sympathies.

First, I agree, reenacting is what I do to get AWAY!!!!!! It's almost like going into another world completely.

And as far as NY goes... it's getting warm here, we got into the double digits!!!! Time to get out the summer clothes!!!! I thought it was great to break 0, but DOUBLE DIGITS :shock: !!!!!! But seriously, I'm lucky though. All I have to seperate me from Mexico, NY (Emergency area) is what was once a lake, but is currently in a frozen state.