PDA

View Full Version : Have you hurt yourself at any event?

John Legg
02-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I know a couple of guys that have hurt themselfs at events.

One - Edmund Lockhart - Grabing a hot canteen half off the fire, i think he had a thin handkerchief. He burnt him self!

Another one about edmund - Although he didnt hurt him self this is funny.

Fort Wayne Indiana 2006 - During one of the battles edmund took at hit. When he fell to the ground his head landed into Horse Poop. Or as we call it Road apples... This is how edmund got his nick name... Road Apple. There was many other names that they thought of before this. They are too bad to write on this site :rolleyes:

Tell everyone about yours!

Cheers!

John

HighPrvt
02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Tony Mc %^&$, '02 Atlanta Campaign.
Took a hit and landed on his canteen. Broke a couple of ribs, and carried off the field by an ambulance.

tompritchett
02-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I have a pard who has once broken his foot, twisted his ankle more times than either of us want to think about and twisted his knee a few times - almost always as the result of marching in formation where he can not be watching his footing enough. Now he has adopted a field hospital steward impression where he can follow behind the troops and administer care as needed to others rather than others rendering care to him. The best part of his impression is that he is also a licensed EMT and, if the injury is real, he can stabilize the injury until the site EMTs arrive.

As for me, one Cedar Creek, I sprained my ankle during the morning tactical as I was coming down the hill by the little house and came down on a large rock. To make matters worse, I was still suffering from a stone briuse to the opposite heel suffered at a previous event. It made walking the remainder of the event and on the way home at rest stops a very interesting experience.

CivilWarBuff1863
02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Before I went to the Cedar Creek event in 2003 I hurt my leg and it bruised and swelled up pretty bad. I hurt it while taking shingles off a roof and as I was coming down I slipped and caught my leg in one of the rungs and the ladder just fell. Luckily no broken bones! My boss gave me that Friday off because of it and I wanted to go reenacting that weekend. So I went anyways. The pain of marching and stomping on rocks all day took its toll but I managed. I'd pull up my pant leg and let the cool air get to it, a few other reenactors looked at it and said "You need to have that looked at." I told em I was fine and it was just bruised. Some thought it would be cool if I did a actual wound scene at the hospital tent. The way it looked to others musta been a site.

SmellyFed
02-10-2007, 02:29 PM
I've got a plate and 7 screws in my leg for grab-assing at Shaker Village in 2001. People said they could hear it crak 100 yards away - sounded like a broomstick handle snapping in half.

Went to the ER - had it set and put in a cast. I stayed the night at the event, slept on the ground... with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. Beat that. =) Was even on hand for the vote to form the WIG. Had surgery three days later.

Still hurts and it still swells up. I'd make a great weatherman though.

Rob
02-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Back in '04, I took a hit while part of an advancing skirmish line. When I hit the ground, I was facing to the right, so I could not see the action to the front. Never again.

The line advanced a few paces further, then retreated. My file partner, a husky young lad, decided to do one of those "don't show your backs to the enemy, boys" routines - walking backwards while retreating.

First, with his right foot, he stepped on my left hand, which was lying on top of my rifle. Then, with his left foot, he kicked me in the left side of my face, thoughtfully missing my eyeglasses by about half an inch.

I couldn't chew solid food for a week afterward. Those steel-plated heels sure do hurt.

GaWildcat
02-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Tony Mc %^&$, '02 Atlanta Campaign.
Took a hit and landed on his canteen. Broke a couple of ribs, and carried off the field by an ambulance.

Howard, Buddy, that wasnt Tony Mc... That was Mike McC. How ya doin Pard??

GaWildcat
02-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Lets see, I took a hit a dropped my Enfield, and it landed on a buddy, cracking him in the back of the head, didnt hurt him much, but mighta knocked some sense into him. Same guy had another pard of ours take a hit and drop a HOT '42 Springfield on him... right in the crack of his, well... you get the picture. Had another bud that took a premature and unintentional dismount of his horse and ended up ok, but had a bruise that strangely resembled a Sharps cartridge box on his back for a little while. I caused another accident at a living history, when I tripped, knocking a guy down and accidently buttstroking him in the back of the head... he too ended up ok, and we were laughing about it ten minutes later.

Actual injuries to me... well I've been fairly lucky... gulp... soooo far (touch wood, touch the stay, turn three times, "saints preserve us")

Micah Trent
02-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I was kicked in the leg by a horse at the Battle of Corydon two years ago. Cavalry rode in pretty close and I just happened to be victim of it. Didn't break anything, got up and walked around afterwards. It really didn't bother till the next day. It did leave a nice bruise for a few weeks.

Mojo1842
02-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Fort Wayne Indiana 2006 - During one of the battles edmund took at hit. When he fell to the ground his head landed into Horse Poop. Or as we call it Road apples... This is how edmund got his nick name... Road Apple. There was many other names that they thought of before this. They are too bad to write on this site :rolleyes:

Tell everyone about yours!

Cheers!

John

Only one of several to injure themself at Ft. Wayne last year. One of our guys caught a heel plate on the road while acting as Cpl. of the Guard Saturday and broke his collarbone. I'm sure that it was due to pharmacutical genius that there were no further injuries as a Lamb Chop puppet made its appearance on the hand of one of Dave Shackleford's staff. Cpl Taeger takes pills so he likes us in the morning......:evil:

toptimlrd
02-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Had a freak accident at an event where I was fixing my bayonet and it somehow slipped out of my hand and nicked my lip, not a bad nick but with the profusion of blood vessels right at the surface it bled rather freely for a while. Looked horrible but was really not bad.

Also had a bit of a medical problem at one where the pollen we kicked up was so bad the air was yellow. Now I have adult onset asthma and that dust combined with some pretty good heat and constricting gear over a wool uniform caused me to have one heck of an asthma attack which took me out of the action and had two or three EMTs in period attire watching over me.

reddcorp
02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Well, let's see.
I badly sprained ankle while on march at Chickamauga.
Pard broke a couple of ribs when he landed right on canteen spout.
Pard got bitten by a copperhead or watermoc.
Pard got ruptured eardrum when Mountain Howitzer fired too close.(same pard)
Pard's tent burned down..minor burns.(same pard, new name Jonah)
Assorted bumps, cuts, bruises.
Pard got torn knee ligaments stepping in a hole during battle.
Pard lost eyebrows and some hair lighting a powder trail.
Part burned palm of hand when rifle cooked off.
Near miss with cannon rammer.
Sure there are more.
Come to think of it, golf may be safer.

A.Redd

Ohioreb1861
02-11-2007, 12:00 AM
I got thrown from a horse in a cavalry charge and got trampled, I ended up with a very bad headache and bruised ribs.

Nothing serious :D

jurgitemvaletem
02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Oh jeez, the stories I could tell!

I guess the most memorable was at bentonville in '05. Our company of Ohioans was picked by Mr. Lavis to be the fleetfooted company for the weekend. During the Saturday afternoon scripted engagement he sent us from the middle of the entire federal line arround the right flank to take care of a company of rebs harrassing our flanks. We took off at an all out run in formation arround the right side of oir line, and for those who have been know that Bentonville is completely covered in sand and not the easiest to run in. We had just cleared the right flank when I tripped a root. Being a rather large soldier I was near the front of the column and when I tripped it caused the rest of the company to jump arround me continuing on with their mission. I was lucky enough so that most of the"herd" missed me, but I ended up catching a heel plate abovemy right brow and an entire brogan worth of soldier on my chest.

I was able to stand up and get back to the main line and find a medic who deemed me "alright" and told me to get back in line. Having lost track of my company I met up with a lone fellow guarding a battery of cannon. We stuck together for a while and helped each other get to the breastworks where along with the rest of the army we helped hold off severalattacks by the main body of confeds.

I later found and rejoined my company atan after battle ceremony and found out they had been heavily ebgaged all over the field and were lucky to make it out at all.

My company commander was later approached bt a fellow with a newspaper which upon the front cover was me taking my "hit" with sand flying up all arround me, the captain turned arround withhis sword above his head rallying his troops behind him and the last few files of our line pointing and laughing as they ran by me.

It was a great weekend and I came out with no serious injuries, by the way I later learned from the captain that the only thought in his mind at the time was, " I can not believe he is taking his hit so early!"

Rob Weaver
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Suffered food poisoning from old salt pork once. On skirmish line, smacked myself in the upper lip with the stock of my rifle when taking a hit. Bled profusely. When the Confederates passed over our line, one looked down and remarked, "That's a little too realistic." I've given up counting burns from campfires and nicks from camp axes, however, I do carry a little first aid kit in the bottom of my haversack, between the liner and the body so that it's easy to reach and find in an emergency.

WestTN_reb
02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Fort Pillow, TN.
November 2004

Me and another guy in my unit actually had to galvanize Confederate to help the tiny little battle scenario look decent. Of course we both took hits during the assault, when our Captain (the Federal commander) ordered that the wounded be bayoneted. So, as taps was played on the bagpipes, one of the guys from my unit stuck his bayonet in the ground next to me. As he pulled it out, I reacted by jerking, and my head collided with the buttstock of another pard's rifle.

I ain't been right since. (and some say I never was before)

5thNYcavalry
02-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Well...

-While marching to battle I knocked myself in the head with a rifle
-Got hit in the back of the head with a rifle when someone behind me lost their balance
-Twisted my ankle in a hole
-went to a store to fill my cantten, stepped on a tile floors with my first pair of brogans... I was NOT meant to do splits
-Had a circular bruise on my side... twice, both times I needed a new canteen
-Had a tent pole fall on my head

Wow, I am CLUMSY!!! But no major injuries.... YET:rolleyes:

vamick
02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
after my very first battle, and loading up our guns for home, I was helping with a 12pd Napolean as it was wenched up the box trailer ramp while watching those wheels for clearance I didnt notice that an axle end had caught the ramp guy wire and was pulling it...tighter...and tighter..pppPPPPLING!! just like a big ole guitar string letting go across the bridge of my (larger than average already) nose...the blood poured and dripped and before it stopped I got several shocked looks from departing 'taters':D

Gary Mitchell
1st Stuart horse artillery

FloridaBummer
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Nothing major, yet...
However I do recall at Olustee in 2002 I believe, my unit was advancing during Sunday battle, during the retreat, some young lad managed to kick a small thorny cacti right into my leg. I didn't know it was there until I sat on the ground causing the thorns to be pushed deep into the calf. An emt was able to remove the thorn rather quickly but the back of my leg swelled up.
Very painful indeed. for those of you who have never been; Olustee is loaded with those little cacti and they're nicely concealed until you land or sit on one;-).. Not to mention those Farby fire ants..:-( and thats another story..
Regards;

rebel yell
02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I was hit by shrapnel from a land charge, it brought blood, but I continued the good fight.:rolleyes: Another time I took a hit, and landed on some boulders protruding from the ground. That didn't feel too good. And then I saw a guy bite a blood capsule, it went down the wrong way.:D The sight of him on all four's coughing and hacking up blood, has been my best reenacting moment. It looked too real!

John Legg
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
One time at the Jackson cascades muster i only wore one pair of socks, and had reall bad brogans. After the first battle my heals started to hurt. So when i got back to camp, i took off my brogans and socks and saw Two popped blisters on each heal the size of a Golf Ball. That hurt!

John

Rob Weaver
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah - I hear ya. The second event I attended doing Civil War includd an 11 mile march on the first day of a 4 day event. I was wearing shoes that had only been worn for one weekend, and a light weekend at that, before the march. My feet and heels were actually fine; my ancles, however, where the raw edge of the leather rubbed them, resembled hamburger. I wrapped cloth around them at the end of the day, and my impromptu bandages then stuck to the open wounds. I toddled around the rest of the event like a ballet dancer. Worse yet, I was on Active Duty at the time, so when I reported back for duty on Tuesday, I couldn't simply sit in a chair and beg for sympathy for my injury. I've made many mitakes since then, but never that one again.

sbl
02-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Bad wool trousers!! At a Saylors Creek they pilled up around my groinacalogical area.

Sgt.Hendricks
02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Well the worst pain I have been in at an event was at 140th Cedar Creek in 04. I had broke my foot a day before the event, but I did not know that it was broke, I just thought that it was something that I had pulled. Well with the aid of ALOT of advil I made it through the weekend, fought in all the battles and Tacticles and even did all the Battalion drill's. Found out it had broke then, when about three months later it rebroke.

A pard of mine also at the same event, during the dawn battle, was hit in the head with a musket butt when someone infornt of him took a hit, then he fell into a pile of cow crap, came up and thought he was bleeding, so I looked at him to see, and when I got close to examin his face, I got a good whiff of cow crap and about died from laughing so hard. He ruined a brand new pair of dress pants, which he had forgot to take off from the ball the night before.
ahh, good times

FloridaBummer
02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad wool trousers!! At a Saylors Creek they pilled up around my groinacalogical area.

Scott B. Lesch

SBL;
Oh yeah; I've been there myself. First time I did a campaigner march of any significant distance, about 6 miles I believe, during yet again Olustee, I chaffed the crap out of myself. I was wearing modern boxers (serious farbism) and hadn't yet invested in a good pair of period drawers. Guess thats what I get for being farby that time.. I hobbled around the rest of the event hurtin'!
Kindest Regards

reddcorp
02-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Brother, I feel your pain.

Authenticity be da...ed, break out the GoldBond....green.

A.W.Redd

sbl
02-15-2007, 06:24 PM
"...I wouldn't need talcum powder!"

Good trousers and correct drawers with a little "lubricant" helps. The wool pills chaffed right though my 20th century long johns. That was waaaay back.

One of our guys found a period incident of a soldier's newly issued trousers chaffing him raw. The got blood poisoning and died.

Rob Weaver
02-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Gettysburg 125th - 4 days in wool trousers without underwear because I didn't have the "right" ones at the time, and it's better to do without than use the wrong ones, right? "I'm chafin', Max; chafin' big-time." (quote courtesy "George of the Jungle")

Pete K
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Closest I ever came to a real injury was at Antietam 140th. I was on picket duty at the end of our company street when a troop of Federal Dragoons decided to use our street as a road. When I told their Sgt. to go around since we were a CAMP area, he ordered his men to ride through, which they did. I was over riden by at least seven horsemen. I had to actually call the Corp. of the Guard and turn out the company for their own safety.
Needless to say I am always looking for a First Sgt. with orange chevrons, I'd like to sit and chat with him a while....

redleggeddevil
02-16-2007, 03:28 PM
I've really only done damage twice--both were stupid, but only one was truly painful.

The first was at a St. Patrick's Day weekend event. I was young and foolish, and nobody in the unit thought to bring any food. Plenty of beer, just nothing solid.

A neighboring unit had vast mountains of corned beef, and the smell tortured us as we sat, cold and tipsy, a short distance away. Finally we could stand no more, and we crept like scavanging dogs to devour their scraps.

It was a cold, frosty night, so we filled our hands with all the fat and gristle they had discarded. We sat around the fire, toasting the globules of fat on the ends of our ramrods. Being much in my cups, my aim was off, and so I managed to miss my mouth with the food, instead bringing the scorching hot metal down on my lip. It sizzled like bacon, and the following morning found me with a huge blister across my mouth as a badge of shame. Just my luck: one part of the scenario was Sick Call, and I was immediately quarantined.

The second injury was just last year, so I cannot claim that youth was at fault. We were doing a tactical that required us to cross a swamp and then negotiate an ENORMOUS briar patch in pursuit of a retreating enemy.

I had just taken delivery of my long-awaited James River Armory defarbed musket. In addition, I was wearing all new top-end traps, and so I looked upon the prospect of swamp water, mud and razor-sharp thorns with extreme trepidation.

I managed to negotiate the swamp without any damage, but then looked upon the unending Plain of Sorrow before me. I had to make a quick decision-- do I sacrifice my gear or my flesh? Alas, I chose flesh, figuring that skin will grow back but really expensive stuff is irreplacable (at least for me).

I made it the whole way across the briar patch, tiptoeing like a debutant in a slaughterhouse and cradling my Springfield as if it were the True Cross. We achieved our objective, drove back the enemy and broke for water and rations. Then the commander announced "OK, now we switch sides and do it all again in reverse."

I got back to camp with my gear mostly intact, but my hands and face looked as if I had been assaulted by a particularly nasty cheese grater.

Youth is fleeting, but stupidity goes on and on.

Rob Weaver
02-17-2007, 08:30 AM
It's been a long time since I've been deep in my cups - professional ehtics and all - but I've found that sleep deprivation has much the same effect on logic. 3rd day of lousy, or no, sleep, and I was boiling up a nice cup of coffee for myself. Without the aid of a rag or potholder (I actually have one my wife knitted) I reached into the fire to get the cup of steaming brew. The handle was hot, but the flames I passed my hand through were definitely hotter. I said out loud, "Man, that's hot! I gotta put this down somewhere." So I did - reaching through the flames again, I put the cup back WHERE I'D TAKEN IT FROM A MOMENT EARLIER! A few minutes later, I had my cup of coffee with a side of broiled to order left hand. Yum.
Redleggeddevil, we've got to find an event mid-distance between the 2 of us. I'm sure the hobby has sufficiently recovered from our last effort together. Best verse of "The Maid of Amsterdam" I've ever heard. No, I can't repeat it here.

rick35ovi
02-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Perryville, i believe it was year 1984 or 85. Very cold weekend that year, We had a nice fire going and i just could'nt resist, so i pulled out my non period sleeping bag and curled up next to the fire, BIG MISTAKE! I did not realize how much i tossed and turned until i rolled over on top of the fire! The next thing i know i hear this big WHOOMf! The sleeping bag burst into flames with me in it! I looked like a fish out of water trying to escape the fire. my sleeping bag looked like Jaws had taken a big bite out of it! My wool socks melted to the tops of my ankle right about where the tongue of the brogans hit and we had a long march the next morning. Luckily we had a paramedic our unit with his kit. He fixed me up as good as he could but you can imagine the pain. Needless to say i made the march but took a hit an the first volley!!

tompritchett
02-17-2007, 10:54 AM
The handle was hot, but the flames I passed my hand through were definitely hotter. I said out loud, "Man, that's hot! I gotta put this down somewhere." So I did - reaching through the flames again, I put the cup back WHERE I'D TAKEN IT FROM A MOMENT EARLIER!

I am glad that I was not drinking anything when I read that one. :D
You really were suffering from sleep deprivation.

Mojo1842
02-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Perryville, i believe it was year 1984 or 85. Very cold weekend that year, We had a nice fire going and i just could'nt resist, so i pulled out my non period sleeping bag and curled up next to the fire, BIG MISTAKE! I did not realize how much i tossed and turned until i rolled over on top of the fire! The next thing i know i hear this big WHOOMf! The sleeping bag burst into flames with me in it! I looked like a fish out of water trying to escape the fire. my sleeping bag looked like Jaws had taken a big bite out of it!

Thus starting a grand tradition of firewalking in our unit...;)

Rob Weaver
02-19-2007, 06:11 PM
I am glad that I was not drinking anything when I read that one. :D
You really were suffering from sleep deprivation.
I went through a time during my 30s when for no reason that I can explain, I just couldn't sleep well while reenacting. It's past now. At this point I have gained a reputation for falling asleep in the middle of conversations, even ones to which I was contributing. '
At Cedar Creek several years ago, I was carrying my Sharps and neglected to blow the loose powder off the top of the block before firing. Singed off my right eyebrow. Drew another one on before my wife saw it and took my new toy away.

ILYankee5
02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Both of these happened at a War of 1812 event I was at. The first one: My friend and I took a hit from a British volley and went down side by side in the blaze of glory (our rifles misfired twice). We landed in a nothing but mounds of fire ant hills, and suddenly we were not dead, just wounded in the legs (you know how those Brown Bess' are). The second one: the one said friend above was cooking a little to close to the fire in his cotton hunters frock. He went up like a candle, worse off he didn't know, then he figured it out, took off running (God knows where or why). Thank the good Lord for my years in Boy Scouts (and common sense) and athleticism, I was able to tackle him and roll him and until he was out. Now everytime we here that so familiar fife and drum song that gets to the chorus and says "Fire, Fire, Fire" we all laugh and think of him!! :D

ILYankee5

sharits75thohio
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
I just hurt myself last weekend at Olustee. During the Sunday battle, I took a hit and went down, and somehow my right index finger knuckle caught on the site of my rifle and it took a nice chunk of skin off. Needless to say it hurt and I was bleeding all over the place, but I kept on going for the rest of the battle.

Rob Weaver
02-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Can anyone determine some ongoing themes in our blood and glory stories about the resons we get hurt? Besides that we're playing with guns and fire. I've detected alcohol impairment and sleep privation, for example. A certain level of "Gosh, I didn't think that would happen." In developing countries, poor people are very careful. They even move with a detectable caution. They're afraid of getting hurt in a way that can turn serious. That little cut can turn septic and you've lost fingers. And work. And livelihood. That wool chafe can tunr septic and take your life, as cited before. Be careful, and pack a first aid kit.

bob 125th nysvi
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
but I have done the ole 'chaffing because I wasn't wearing drawers' routine.

Me, heat, summer events and wool just don't mix.

Limped all weekend and learned to carry some Gold Bonds powder in the supply wagon. That way I don't have to limp as far.

And also learned that a second pair of drawers in the ole knapsack is an absolute MUST.

Well chaffing is a step up from when I was a kid, put on a wool face mask one time and when I took it off I looked like I had been on the losing end of a quarrel with a beehive.

VaTrooper
02-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Drew another one on before my wife saw it and took my new toy away.

LOL........That brings back some high shool memories.