PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in NC

devildog
02-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Hi, Im stationed in Jacksonville NCand am very new to the hobby of reenacting. I was hoping to learn more about it and possibly find a unit close to my area. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

IsleGuy57
02-09-2007, 06:57 PM
DevilDog,

I posted a link from my unit site on the CWTalk forums for you. It has links to a number of units here in NC that my unit has worked with in the past. One or more of them may be of some assistance, I hope. Oh heck, I'll just post it again here. :)

http://www.25thnctroops.org/links.html

devildog
02-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks. I really appreciate the help.

tenfed1861
02-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Devildog,
is that near Eastern TN?If so,then you are more then welcomed to come on out and fall in with the 8th TN.We are a Federal unit looking for good recruits.If you are interested,send me a messege at tenfed1861@yahoo.com
Cullen

devildog
02-10-2007, 05:32 AM
tenfed,
unfortunately I'm on the other end of the state, but thank you for your help

JBW
02-10-2007, 07:57 AM
devildog,
There's a local event at St. Pauls (just south of Fayetteville) Feb. 24-25. You might want to come out and talk to some units. :)

Hondo
02-10-2007, 08:14 AM
devildog,
I spent alot of time in J-ville myself. I was housed over at French Creek. I know a couple of units that might be of interest to you. I am PMing you an email.

Semper Fi,
Hondo

Anders
02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Drop a line to Dave Jones at fisherrifleguards@hotmail.com. He is 1st LT of Company B of the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard (www.chesapeakevolunteerguard.or)

Good man in your area.

Pards,

devildog
02-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the tip, it's not easy finding someone around the Jacksonville area. I appreciate it.

nc69th
03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
devildog saw you in another forums try our link at http://www.geocities.com/nc69th sorry my last link didn't work but I think you'll enjoy us since we are a new unit and all. My email is nc6th@yahoo.com

Chadd M. Vail

Skip Smith
03-14-2007, 02:31 PM
We have members in New Bern, Goldsboro, Fayetteville and in between...our website is www.26nc.org ...or you can contact me at col26nct@bellsouth.net ...we were just in New Bern last weekend to dedicate a new monument we placed on the battlefield...we are the largest unit in the state (about 200 infantry members) and generally place three companies (and sometimes four) in the field...

Regards,

Skip Smith
26th NC

HighPrvt
03-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Skip, welcome to the board.
That's a good lookin' unit ya got there.

Brandon313
03-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Col. Smith actually beat me to the punch!! i was just gettin on here to reccommend the mighty 26th!

Right on top of things as usual Colonal Smith!! :D

Brandon

devildog
03-15-2007, 04:45 AM
That is a really good looking unit!

Skip Smith
03-15-2007, 08:14 AM
We have a lot of good men...the Regiment started in 1981 and since I joined in 1983 I can honestly say that my best friends in life are on the rolls of the 26th NC...the passion of re-enacting is taken very seriously among our unit...we are preservation oriented...our main roll is the Partnership we have formed with the North Carolina Mues. of History...in this we will have a large project (ie...flag preservation) and at least one or two smaller projects (ie...uniform preservation) going on at the same time...we have already restored one flag and several pieces of uniform...we have a historical magazine published three times a year; a bi-monthly re-enacting newsletter; and the up-to-date website for communication purposes...anyway, if I can be of help please let me know...

Sincerely,

Skip Smith
col26nct@bellsouth.net

Army30th
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I have to echo Skip's comments. I was a member of the 26th for 7 years, and some of my fondest memories are with that unit. A great bunch of guys, and very knowledgable on the history of the Tarheel Soldiers from NC.

Brandon313
03-15-2007, 01:44 PM
you really wont get into this hobby with any better unit than the 26th. I shopped around for a while and ended up trying out the 26th, and i have to say, they make you feel right at home from the first event. PLUS we actually drill....every event, so you learn the ropes ALOT quicker than most other units out there..
Im only on about my 10th event with them, and i see no reason why i wont be with them 20 years down the road!

DEFFINATELY take a look at them

madisontigers
03-15-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm glad to see that you have decided to enter the reenacting community. May your days as a reenactor or living historian, be filled with lots of fond memories.
My suggestion to you is this : try out a few units before deciding to join any particulair unit. Some campaigner units, such as the Liberty Rifles, Southern Guard, CVG, AND wig tend to recreate the war at a higher level of historical accuracy. If you are wanting to reenact right, then I would highly reccomend any of the above named units.

David Long

madisontigers
03-15-2007, 07:02 PM
You will be hard pressed to find a better commander than Skip Smith. Skip, colonel of the 26th, is a class act Colonel, and does a fantastic job

David Long

curt cole
03-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi, Im stationed in Jacksonville NCand am very new to the hobby of reenacting. I was hoping to learn more about it and possibly find a unit close to my area. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Devildog,
Our unit is centered in southeastern NC, with many members living in Jacksonville. We have members that are currently serving in the Marines, Army, Coast Guard, and National Guard as well as many retired service members. We have a dual impression , portraying both confederate and Federal troops, and we do a variety of events including living histories, campaign, and mainstream.Our webpage is cflhs.org if you would like to visit it, or you may contact me at cplcole@gsiwave.com.

respectfully,
c.cole 18th NCT/ 53rd PVI

jademonkey
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm glad to see that you have decided to enter the reenacting community. May your days as a reenactor or living historian, be filled with lots of fond memories.
My suggestion to you is this : try out a few units before deciding to join any particulair unit. Some campaigner units, such as the Liberty Rifles, Southern Guard, CVG, AND wig tend to recreate the war at a higher level of historical accuracy. If you are wanting to reenact right, then I would highly reccomend any of the above named units.

David Long

Devildog,

Welcome to the forums! I would like to reiterate David's suggestion about falling in with a few different units before you "commit" to one. The most important thing is to find a group that you feel is compatible with what you want to get out of Living History. I'd like to offer up another sugestion from the campaigner end of things and that's the North State Rifles. These folks are top-notched. They do an excellent history-heavy ANV impression and are some real nice guys to boot. If nothing else, check out their website - it has some excellent articles on North Carolina in the CW: http://www.northstaterifles.com/

Good luck to you and remember that since there are numerous options in the CW living history world think about what you are looking for and seek out the group (or groups) that fit in best with that.

-Garrett

devildog
03-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Thats a really good looking unit as well, I appreciate your insight very much. thanks. I'm going to shoot them an email I think

lt83
04-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Although from PA I am familiar with the 27th nc from around your area. I have spent a little time with some of them and they are a great bunch. Send me an email if you want more info on them.

Birney1@gmail.com

devildog
05-12-2007, 12:24 PM
just freshing this up a bit. thanks

mntineer
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey Devil Dog -

Looks like you have plenty to choose from! I can personally vouch for both Skip Smith and Curt Cole. Both are outstanding gentlemen with great groups near you. Good luck with your new group - whoever it may be!