PDA

View Full Version : Federal and Confederate Painted Oil Blankets

Claude Sinclair
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I am finishing a run of Federal and Confederate Painted Oil Blankets. I use the period recipe as outlined at: http://www.geocities.com/union_guard/oilcloth_and_painted_accoutermen.htm. I also use 8 oz cotton drill in the correct widths so it takes two pieces of drill to make one cloth. The Federal Painted oil blanket that I make is as ordered by the Federal Quartermaster and the requested size was 71" X 46 with a 2" helm on one side and end while the other side and end was 1". Eighteen grommets were to be spaced with two of the grommets being used for tape to make a cape out of the oil blanket. A picture of a surviving oil blanket that I make is featured in EOG. I have sold 30 of these in three orders of ten each for the Vermont Hemlocks living history company and have sold over 300 elsewhere. I awaken at Rich Mountain and saw three of my blankets being used by people that I did not know. The Confederate Painted oil blanket that I make does not have helms but has hand sewn grommets on each corner. It is approx the same length and width. The price is $50 each plus $6 for priority mailing. The ones you get on sutlers row weigh more and one piece non-period construction. I accept Pay Pal, Checks, and MO's. My e-mail and Pay Pal Account is clsinclair@infoave.net

Regards,
Claude Sinclair

snk22nd
02-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Sir
I would be interested in one of your blankets. Do you have any pics to post?

frankstevanus
02-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I have one of Claude's Oilclothes, and I can tell you that they are straight out one of the best values you can find in the whole reenacting field. Top quality construction, with meticulous detail to authenticy, you won't find better quality or a more practical item for reenacting at what ever level you are in the hobby.
Definitely a must have!!

terry sorchy
02-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Claude,
If you would please post pics of both US and CS cloths. I am very interested.
Cheers
Terry Sorchy

Claude Sinclair
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Give me your e-mail address and I will send pictures.

Thanks,
Claude Sinclair

Claude Sinclair
02-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Let's try a picture.

Claude

VaTrooper
02-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Claude,
Didn't you offer some Federal haversacks a while go too?

Claude Sinclair
02-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Claude,
Didn't you offer some Federal haversacks a while go too?

I only made one Federal for myself.

fedhead
02-10-2007, 10:17 AM
do you have a pic of the confederate one

thank you

VaTrooper
02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
My buddy has one, federal haversack, he was under the impression you made. I guess he'll see this and reconsider.

Claude Sinclair
02-10-2007, 03:16 PM
do you have a pic of the confederate one

thank you

This one has 8 gommets. The ones I make has 4 corner handsewn grommet with raw edges. Will not unravel.

Claude Sinclair
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I have two Federal and one Confederate painted oil blankets left. $50 is a bargain for one of these and is period correct.

Claude Sinclair.

marcaverill
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Sent you a PM on the Confederate one.

Claude Sinclair
03-19-2007, 08:31 AM
I now have one Confederate and 6 Federals available. When used with a Gum Blanket J Hook or just plain tape, these make excellent rain capes. See first post for details.

Claude Sinclair