PDA

View Full Version : CS Monument Defacer Arrested

TheSignalCorpsGuy
02-07-2007, 11:09 AM
All,

Saw this on a local Norfolk, Va. TV station's web-site (www.wvec.com (http://www.wvec.com)) and wanted to pass it on.

See - the Police actually are able to catch folks who do these rotten things on occasion!

There is a gorgeous Confederate Monument on "Old Town Portsmouth" (Virginia) which was defaced a while back. (faces of the soldiers were painted with black spray paint)

I quote:

Portsmouth police have arrested a man they say defaced a Confederate monument by spray painting the face.
In June of 2005, someone called police saying the statue, which sits at the corner of High Street and Court Streets, had been vandalized. According to investigators, someone spray painted the face of the statue with black paint.
On Tuesday, police arrested 20-year-old Troy Allen Capps of East Pollux Circle. He has been charged with a class 6 felony. Capps could face up to 2 years in prison with additional fines.

Source: www.wvec.com (http://www.wvec.com)

bob 125th nysvi
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
How about we just hang him like they would have done in the old days?

America's prisons are over crowded! We need to do something about that! The solution is to put less people in jail!

We need to execute more prisoners to alleviate over crowding in America's prisons!

I suggest we start with this guy.

Mojo1842
02-07-2007, 04:34 PM

America's prisons are over crowded! We need to do something about that! The solution is to put less people in jail!

We need to execute more prisoners to alleviate over crowding in America's prisons!

I suggest we start with this guy.

Actually, IMHO the offender needs a bit more creative punishment. If I were the judge in this case I think that I would sentence him to participate in an immersion event. I think that after attending something like, say BGR (just off the top of my head) MAYBE he might have more appreciation for what the soldiers on both sides experienced, the sacrifices they made and why their memory deserves better than to have monuments to them defaced.

tompritchett
02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Actually, IMHO the offender needs a bit more creative punishment.

Cleaning off his vandalism with soap and a toothbrush?

CivilWarBuff1863
02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I say we should let him clean off the mess, let him attend re-enactments and put him into uniform on a 100* day and let him suffer through the drills that we all endore. I don't know about giving him a rifle but remember you can make him do KP duty and other camp jobs. If he slacked off we could make him suffer more by putting him through the the rigors of soldier discipline. You know what I mean right? Give him a log to drill with, let him sit on a wooden horse with a huge wooden sword, you get the picture?! Do everything and anything to make that little public defacer feel what they endured back then.

Now that would be justice!

Jim Mayo
02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
The four statues were cleaned shortly after the incident. Initially some one from Richmond came down and attempted to clean off the paint. All he did was to force it into the pores of the zinc. All the faces looked like they were very sooty. The local SCV chapter and the city combined to hire a better cleaner to come in and clean all four soldiers from the brogans up. This is only one of two monuments to honor all four branches of Confederate service and is on the register of Historic Places. This guy lived within a couple of miles of the monument.

Parault
02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I say we should let him clean off the mess, let him attend re-enactments and put him into uniform on a 100* day and let him suffer through the drills that we all endore. I don't know about giving him a rifle but remember you can make him do KP duty and other camp jobs. If he slacked off we could make him suffer more by putting him through the the rigors of soldier discipline. You know what I mean right? Give him a log to drill with, let him sit on a wooden horse with a huge wooden sword, you get the picture?! Do everything and anything to make that little public defacer feel what they endured back then.

Tying him to a wagon wheel, stripping his shirt off, and then giving him 10 lashes would probably work

toptimlrd
02-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Cleaning off his vandalism with soap and a toothbrush?

Why such a large instrument of cleaning, I was thinking more along the lines of a toothpick.

jurgitemvaletem
02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
All,

Saw this on a local Norfolk, Va. TV station's web-site (www.wvec.com (http://www.wvec.com)) and wanted to pass it on.

See - the Police actually are able to catch folks who do these rotten things on occasion!

There is a gorgeous Confederate Monument on "Old Town Portsmouth" (Virginia) which was defaced a while back. (faces of the soldiers were painted with black spray paint)

I quote:

Portsmouth police have arrested a man they say defaced a Confederate monument by spray painting the face.
In June of 2005, someone called police saying the statue, which sits at the corner of High Street and Court Streets, had been vandalized. According to investigators, someone spray painted the face of the statue with black paint.
On Tuesday, police arrested 20-year-old Troy Allen Capps of East Pollux Circle. He has been charged with a class 6 felony. Capps could face up to 2 years in prison with additional fines.

Source: www.wvec.com (http://www.wvec.com)

Hoorah for old virginia!!!!

Rob
02-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Shorten the rope - give him some time to think about it.

Ohioreb1861
02-07-2007, 10:10 PM

Man, thats a harsh punishment, who would want to do that? :D

to cure the prison problem, a long drop with a sudden stop.:rolleyes:

GaWildcat
02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Now if those of us in the Peach State could get our hands on the (Course Verbage Deleated in Respect to any Ladies and Children) vandals who desecrated Chickamauga.....

Jim Mayo
02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
PORTSMOUTH - A man police charged with defacing the city's Confederate Monument nearly two years ago said he did it as a dare.

During a brief interview at his apartment, Troy Allan Capps, 20, said he "didn't even really remember" spray painting the faces of the monument's troops on June 18, 2005.

The motivation for the vandalism of the Court Street monument had perplexed city leaders.

Repair work from the incident was completed this summer, according to Nancy Perry, director of museums for Portsmouth.

The cost of those repairs, a long with other planned restoration work on the figures, was more than $44,700.

Capps has been charged with felony destruction of property, said Ann Hope, a spokeswoman for the police department.

He faces a minimum sentence of one year in prison and a maximum of five years in prison if convicted, Hope said.

He has been released on bond.

He is the only person who has been charged in the incident, Hope said.

Capps said he had been at a party in Olde Towne drinking that night.

He declined to say if anyone else was involved.

KarinTimour
02-09-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm sick and tired of reading about vandalism of sometimes irreplacable monuments. The City of Portsmouth was willing to shell out over $44,000 to clean this statue. What if this hadn't been in a city that cared that much? What if the damage was permanent?

I'm afraid I can just hear the defense now "Your Honor, the defendant didn't mean any harm...was a prank.....was under stress.....the actions of a moment.....has no outstanding warrants... not trying to make a political statement about the Confederacy.....first offense, etc."

Where I come from, when community members care about a case, we pack the court room to send a message about how much we care about the case. I can't make it to Portsmouth, but I sure can send a letter to the judge. Want this guy to get more than a slap on the wrist/community service? Print out your thoughts and mail them to the judge. Doesn't have to be several paragraphs -- two or three lines is fine. Let him/her know that there are a lot of us, both inside Portsmouth and around the country who care deeply about sending a message through the sentencing on this case.

If you are an SCV, SUV, DOC member, what about talking to your chapter about sending a letter on letterhead? Could your reenacting unit send a message?

I'll call Portsmouth today and if the Clerk of the Court will give me the name of the Judge hearing the trial, will post it this evening, but in the meantime, you can use:

To the Judge Hearing the Monument Defacement/Capps Defacement Trial
Portsmouth City Courthouse
P.O. Drawer 1217
Portsmouth, VA 23705-1217

Judges read their mail, let them know what you think about this.

Every little bit helps -- "Those not skinning can hold a leg." Abrahm Lincoln\

Karin Timour
Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
Warm. Durable. Documented
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
Email: Ktimour@aol.com

TheSignalCorpsGuy
02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Karin - please post the info. I live in Va. Beach - will surely mail the Judge sitting on this case!

KarinTimour
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Folks:

I called the Clerk of the Court. This case has not yet been heard and no judge has been assigned (or they wouldn't give me that information). It is scheduled to be heard on Feburary 28. If you are interested, you can follow this case on-line by going to www.courts.state.va.us. Once you get there, you will need to tell the site that you want the "Portsmouth General District Court" and that you want "Criminal" cases. Then you can search by either his name "Capps, Troy," or the date of the hearing, which is currently February 28 (but this could change if his attorney files to change the date, etc.).

Judges do receive mail and will read it. Our letters will reach the judge who is assigned to this case if you write to:

Presiding Judge
Portsmouth General District Court
Criminal Dvision
P.O. Box 129
Portsmouth, VA 23705

Make sure that you put a reference in at the beginning of the letter that you are writing with regards to "Troy Capps and the Confederate Memorial."

Please spread this information to any list serves or groups you know who would be interested in being heard on this case.

Letters can make a difference, please spread the word.

Sincerely,
Karin Timour
Warm. Durable. Documented.

MStuart
02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Depending on the size of the county, the amount of cases on the docket, etc., look for the following to possibly happen on Feb. 28:

1. a postponement

2. a plea deal wherein the accused will plead guilty to a misdemeanor/s, thus avoiding the felony mandatory sentence. His mouthpiece will most assuredly be going for that in his best interest.

In order to lighten the docket and save the expense of a jury trial, #2 is a real possibility IMHO. Unless, of course, the reaction and interest of the public at large is so immense that the elected D.A./County Prosecutor would find it political suicide to accept anything less than a guilty plea to the felony charge.

While I applaud the efforts to remind the judge of our interest, the big "push", when it comes to seeing the case through, rests with the prosecutor. He will offer or accept the plea deal, if any. It is up to him to press on full tilt with any felony prosecution. The judge will meet out any sentence.

BTW: A year in the klink, minimum, is a good thing for this goof.

Mark

KarinTimour
02-10-2007, 10:03 AM
So, Mark are you saying that we should focus on the DA/County Prosecutor rather than the Judge?

Willing to find that address instead....

Karin Timour

MStuart
02-10-2007, 10:14 AM
So, Mark are you saying that we should focus on the DA/County Prosecutor rather than the Judge?

Willing to find that address instead....

Karin Timour
Karin:

IMHO, I'd say that is where the initial interest should be shown. The judge, while an important figure in this case, must remain impartial toward both sides during the proceedings.

Once the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty, then the judge will pronounce sentence. Adding more confusion to this, many state's use "sentencing guidelines" which are supposed to insure fairness by judges in handing down sentences. For instance, if our man has been found guilty of the felony, and has never been arrested before, has a job, isn't dependent on drugs/alcohol, the "sentencing guidelines" could call for a 1 year sentence on the low end, as opposed to someone who is a repeat offender. In many states, these guidelines aren't laws, per se, but the vast majority of judges adhere to them most of the time.

I see the prosecutor as the key to this case being brought forward under the full weight of law. He makes the prosecutorial decisions on behalf of those in his county. If the defendant is permitted to "plea out" to a reduced charge, he could conceivably avoid jail altogether and end up with merely paying restitution (which with the amount of damage done, would probably never be paid back fully). Felony convictions are serious business, and no defense lawyer will readily permit that for his client unless absolutely unavoidable.

Mark

Gary
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM

Concur! Sentencing him to reenact would be just and proper community service. The gubmint should also shave half his head too and feed him hardtack as part of his fare. Give him the raw ingredients and have him cook his stuff, just like a soljer. About 5 years reenacting will give him something to write about. However, book rights (or any media rights) should belong to the gubmint (public).

KarinTimour
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
A small group of us put this together, so that those of us who feel strongly about this can easily get the word out and start sending a clear message about how we feel about this type of behavior. Read through this post, you've got a summary, sample letter, addresses where to send it and suggestions of groups to reach. Cut and paste any or all of it to people you know who care. His preliminary hearing is 2/28, get your letter in the mail and let your voice be heard where it counts!
Karin Timour

Portsmouth Police Arrest defacer of Historic Monument – Preliminary Hearing on 2/28/2007.

Will his attorney ask for a ‘slap on the wrist and community service?”

Send a letter or fax to ask for justice and “punishment that fits the crime.”

In June, 2005, the Confederate Forces monument (Portsmouth, Virginia) was spray-painted black. One of the two monuments that honor all four branches of the Confederate military, the monument features statues of soldiers and sailors. Their faces were spray painted black. The monument was on the National Register of Historic Places, and the costs to restore it (which was undertaken by the City of Portsmouth) were over $44,700.
Here’s what it looked like: http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp...1&nav=23iibEkQ

February 2, 2007, the Portsmouth Police arrested Troy Capps, who admitted defacing the monument though he said it was a “prank” and he only vaguely remembered it. He has been charged with a Class 6 Felony, is out on bail and faces a hearing on February 28.

There three choices for sentencing under a Class 6 Felony conviction:
a) a fine of up to $2500; or
b) a year in jail and a fine of up to $2500; or
c) imprisonment from one to not more than five years

Want to hold him accountable? Here’s How:

1.Letters need to be sent to Earle Mobley, the Commonwealth’s District Attorney for Portsmouth. He's in the strongest position to decide how lenient (or not) his office will be with regard to a plea agreement and recommending sentencing to the Judge. Prior to being elected Commonwealth's Attorney, Mr. Mobley was a partner in the same firm now representing the defendant, Mr. Capps. It is all the more important that citizens who care about this send letters and follow the trial.

Earle C. Mobley
Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney
City of Portsmouth
801 Crawford St
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Phone: (757) 393-8581
Fax: (757) 393-5241

Here is a short sample letter, or use your own words – but act quickly so that your letter can be read before February 28!
================================================== ========================
Dear Mr. Mobley:

I am writing with regard to the upcoming hearing about the vandalized Civil War veterans’ memorial (GC-07000682-00). Credit is due the Portsmouth Police Department for getting both an arrest and confession from the defendant. His actions have cost the City of Portsmouth over $44,700 in restoration costs, to say nothing of court costs. Troy Capps, and anyone who would emulate him, needs to learn that there is no tolerance for this behavior. There are those who seek notoriety through damaging and defacing public monuments and historic buildings. Imagine the public outrage and disgust had this been a Gulf War Memorial, rather than one from the War Between the States. It is never acceptable to dishonor the brave men and women in uniform who serve their country. We ask for your leadership. Bring the full weight of your office to bear on this case – do not offer a plea bargain, prosecute vigorously and demand the maximum penalty.

Historic Virginia is rich in monuments, memorials, battlefields and treasured public places. Send a “no tolerance” message on defacement and damage.

Sincerely,

================================================== ========================
2. A judge has not yet been assigned for the February 28th hearing. But letters will be read and forwarded if they are sent to:

Presiding Justice
Portsmouth General District Court - Criminal Division
P.O. Box 129
Portsmouth, VA 23705

3.Spread the word to other groups, friends and email lists. Please act quickly, February 28 is just around the corner.
a) Contact chapters and members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the Sons of Union Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Military Order of the Loyal League of the United States.

b) Contact reenacting groups, Civil War round tables, and any websites or list serves for historic preservation groups, Civil War buffs and those who love history.
c) Contact veterans and groups who represent them -- People like this guy don't just deface CW memorials, they go after all kinds of public markers and sculpture, for the fun of it.

4.Finally, track what’s happening in the case: www.courts.state.va.us Click on “Portsmouth County” and “General District Court (Criminal Division)” then search for “Troy Capps.” or docket number GC07000682-00.

5. DISTRIBUTE THIS FAR AND WIDE! EVERY LETTER COUNTS! WE CAN WIN!

MStuart
02-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Good work, Karin!!

Okay folks, she's done 95% of the work. Now it's up to you to put in your 2 cents.

For what it's worth, since the arrest was made Feb. 2 of this year, this hearing is more than likely a "preliminary" one. Being in Pa., I'm not up to speed on the Virginia criminal procedure laws, but that's what it looks like to me. Cases just don't go to trial in that short period of time. That being said, the groundwork for prosecution is, and will be, laid during this hearing if it's anything like we do here in Pa. I advise those of you with the interest in this case to follow Karin's request and let the Commonwealth's Attorney know we/you are interested in this matter.

Mark

KarinTimour
02-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Dear Mark:

Thanks for any and all help in getting this posted where others can see it. I know it's been posted on at least one SCV site and a couple others as well. Again, the more places it gets posted, the more likely people are to see it and respond. I've heard that while the news people in the Portsmouth area have given it a good amount of coverage, it's not a story that has been picked up nationally, so there are few outside the immediate area who even know about it. We can make that difference in carrying the message to list serves and organzations.

Many thanks to all who have already done this, or who will think this morning and today about somewhere that they can post the "action alert" above.

Sincerely,
Karin Timour

madisontigers
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Karin,

Wonderful job, and many of us reqally appreciate what you are doing. I am wandering if this guy has a criminal history, and if so, what does it consist of? If he is a first time offender, I seriously doubt that he will suffer much. I would assume that the attorney will probably shoot for some kind of plea bargain, perhaps knocking his charge down to a misdemeanor.

David Long

rebelyell62
02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
The young man will plead guilty to a reduced charge. Be sentenced to 6 months, suspended with time served. And the judge will kindly and gently ask the youth to go home and be a good boy.

I say 30 days in the stocks on the town square, I'd be first in line to throw a cow pie his way!!!!!

MStuart
03-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have any information on what transpired at the hearing?

Mark

Brian Wolle
03-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Paint HIS face black and send him to the front lines. In Iraq!!!

Maybe I'm nuts, but I wouldn't have any problem with this.

KarinTimour
03-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Dear Mark:

The hearing on 2/28 was postponed to 3/31, so anyone who hasn't already sent a letter to the Commonwealth's Attorney can still weigh in.

With regard to the culprit's past record, he has been arrested before, and is currently appealing a conviction for a misdemeanor on another charge.

For those of you who feel that there's no point in writing a letter, it never does any good, etc., etc. I'd like to persuade you to reconsider in this case.

First of all, if you've never written an elected official before, you may wonder what good one letter will do. Several years ago our Blue Cross/Blue Shield decided to split the people they insured between the well, who would get a 20% discount and the sick who would get a 50% increase in premiums. I have a brother with Marfan's Syndrome, and this would have been a serious blow for him. A bunch of us got organized, and fought in the legislature, and ended up taking on the insurance lobby in the state legislature. Long story short, we ended up totally changing the state insurance laws. In New York it's now illegal to refuse to sell someone health insurance for any reason related to their health, and the premium has to be the same, whether the person is well or sick.

Through that process, I learned quite a bit about how elected officials decide how strongly people feel about something.

They know that many people who mean to write don't have the time, forgot the deadline, etc. So they assume that for every letter they get, there were 10-20 additonal people who meant to write. A postcard is the same as 2-5 additional people who are concerned about something. Don't know how much an email brings, but using the above math, that means that 10 letters to them means somewhere between 100-200 people are interested, concerned and following the case.

Why do I think your letter will make a difference in this case in particular?

A. The local police kept up the case alive and not only caught the guy, got a confession, over a year after he did the crime;
b. The City of Portsmouth felt strongly enough about the defacement that they shelled out $44,700 to restore the statue. No matter how you look at it, that's a lot of money in a tight economy, and to my mind shows serious committment to maintaining the past.
c. The Commonwealth's Attorney has just weathered a re-election challenge -- and all elected officials are constantly preparing for the next reelection;
d. The local media seem to be on the case, and have given some pretty up to the minute reporting on what's happening, helping to keep this a high profile case;
e. The culprit has previous misdemeanor arrests, this is his first felony arrest;
f. He is charged under a new state law about defacing property. Most of the law concerns itself with spray painting cars, buildings, etc., but there is a section that deals with defacing monuments and historic sites. He is the first person to be charged under this section of the new law, and is likely to attract attention on that basis alone.

Ok, now you really want to the know why you should write a letter, postcard or email? Apparently under the new law, there is the option for the judge to also impose having to pay full restitution for the repair of the monument.

After the hearing was postponed at the end of February, I asked if anyone knew how many times they could postpone this. Fred Taylor, who is a native of Portsmouth, a reenactor, helped the SCV to get the state law passed and who is currently a 2nd year law student wrote this about the case:

"......On the issue of the sentencing, while you are correct on the guidelines, this statute does provide that, "Upon conviction, the court may order that the defendant pay restitution." In other words, the Court could order both the payment of the $44,700 in damages to the monument, and the fines, jail time, etc. Hopefully, the Commonwealth's Attorney will be seeking both.

Last, as far as the hearings go, the Court has the discretion to grant the continuances. Typically though, this is only done within reason, say a scheduling conflict for the attorneys, or not enough time to review the evidence, and so on. I "believe" this next hearing should set the timetable for an actual trial, or a plea if that is arranged between the Commonwealth's Attorney and the defendant. Only time will tell.

The plea is what I am more concerned about. Apparently, the evidence is there, so this is not an issue of guilt/innocence, but rather how harsh of a sentence will be imposed. This is why all of your letters to the Commonwealth's Attorney are so important. If the Commonwealth's Attorney sees how big of an issue this is, he will be more hesitant to suggest a minimal sentence......."

Join us in sending a clear message that people both in Portsmouth and throughout the country are watching and concerned about this case.

We can win this one -- with your help. Pull out a piece of paper and a pen, or type up a letter with your computer and stick it in the mail so that it gets there before the end of the month.

1.Letters need to be sent to Earle Mobley, the Commonwealth’s District Attorney for Portsmouth. He's in the strongest position to decide how lenient (or not) his office will be with regard to a plea agreement and recommending sentencing to the Judge. Prior to being elected Commonwealth's Attorney, Mr. Mobley was a partner in the same firm now representing the defendant, Mr. Capps. It is all the more important that citizens who care about this send letters and follow the trial.

Earle C. Mobley
Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney
City of Portsmouth
801 Crawford St
Portsmouth, VA 23704
Phone: (757) 393-8581
Fax: (757) 393-5241

Here is a short sample letter, or use your own words – but act quickly so that your letter can be read before March 31!
==================================================
Dear Mr. Mobley:

I am writing with regard to the upcoming hearing about the vandalized Civil War veterans’ memorial (GC-07000682-00). Credit is due the Portsmouth Police Department for getting both an arrest and confession from the defendant. His actions have cost the City of Portsmouth over $44,700 in restoration costs, to say nothing of court costs. Troy Capps, and anyone who would emulate him, needs to learn that there is no tolerance for this behavior. There are those who seek notoriety through damaging and defacing public monuments and historic buildings. Imagine the public outrage and disgust had this been a Gulf War Memorial, rather than one from the War Between the States. It is never acceptable to dishonor the brave men and women in uniform who serve their country. We ask for your leadership. Bring the full weight of your office to bear on this case – do not offer a plea bargain, prosecute vigorously and demand the maximum penalty.

Historic Virginia is rich in monuments, memorials, battlefields and treasured public places. Send a “no tolerance” message on defacement and damage.

Sincerely,

================================================== =
2. Spread the word to other groups, friends and email lists. Please act quickly, March 31 is just around the corner.
a) Contact chapters and members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, the Sons of Union Veterans, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Military Order of the Loyal League of the United States.

b) Contact reenacting groups, Civil War round tables, and any websites or list serves for historic preservation groups, Civil War buffs and those who love history.
c) Contact veterans and groups who represent them -- People like this guy don't just deface CW memorials, they go after all kinds of public markers and sculpture, for the fun of it.

4.Finally, track what’s happening in the case: www.courts.state.va.us Click on “Portsmouth County” and “General District Court (Criminal Division)” then search for “Troy Capps.” or docket number GC07000682-00.

5. DISTRIBUTE THIS FAR AND WIDE! EVERY LETTER COUNTS! WE CAN WIN!

Sincerely,
Karin Timour

Charles Reynolds
04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Question Why are the postings not in order by date recieved?

tompritchett
04-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Question Why are the postings not in order by date recieved?

If you are using the Hybrid mode, the posting first follow the tree and then the date.