PDA

View Full Version : A Possible Glitch in the 175th Anniversary

Frenchie
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
The 175th anniversary of the bombardment of Fort Sumter and the beginning of the War of the Rebellion could be overshadowed by something that may distract our attention.

http://reference.aol.com/space/skyandtelescope/_a/the-most-dangerous-asteroid-ever-found/20061114154109990001

tompritchett
02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
A bombardment of the "second kind"?

Rob Weaver
02-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Better hold the event the weekend before, just to be safe. Unless that's Easter; might affect turnout a little.

Union Navy
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Aww, come on. If you've got to go, being struck by a large meteorite (or small asteroid) is the way to go. No mess, no remains to deal with, no pain, no lingering tragic circumstances. And into the record books you go!. No one in recorded history has ever been killed by a meteorite. Though Mrs. Hewlett Hodges was hit by one back in the 1950s. She was just lounging around on her couch in Sylacauga, Alabama when a stony meteorite came through the roof of her house and struck her in the side. All she had to show for it was a magnificent bruise.
I've always said that's how I want to go (or be shot by a jealous husband when I'm 95...). And then your heirs could sell the meteorite and get rich - these things are priced by the GRAM!

bob 125th nysvi
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
end the eternal mainstream/farb/c/p/h/nazi stitch counter argument so I think we should see it as a blessing.

Besides they (scientist) are now arguing as to whether or not a meteor ended the reign of the dinosaurs so it might not affect the reenacting at all.

But if it is a cataclysm think of all the problems it is going to solve:

Global Warming, Illegal Immigration, Terrorism, taxes, Social Security going bust (well not that one because it will be broke before then), and having to reread how bad the Clinton Presidency(s) were for America. Just to name a few.

AHHHH

Peace and quite.

tompritchett
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Aww, come on. If you've got to go, being struck by a large meteorite (or small asteroid) is the way to go.

But only if you are killed in the immediate aftermath of the collision. If you are not (e.g., it hits in Asia), you would then have to suffer through all the probable severe climatic changes that could result, depending upon the ultimate size of the asteriod and exactly what it actually hits.

But if it is a cataclysm think of all the problems it is going to solve:

Global Warming, Illegal Immigration, Terrorism, taxes, Social Security going bust (well not that one because it will be broke before then), and having to reread how bad the Clinton Presidency(s) were for America. Just to name a few.

You forgot one - runaway growth in human population.

MStuart
02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
As long as the tsunami's recede and the dust settles by the time the annual Gettysburg event comes around.......why worry? :-)

Mark