PDA

View Full Version : Interview on muskets

ILsniper
03-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I need to interview someone who is an expert in the Civil War's muskets and ammunition thereof. I need this as a source because my prof doesn't take college students as sources. take a look at my profile and send a phone number if can be interviewed. Thanks.

MStuart
03-19-2006, 04:51 PM
In the "nothin fer nothin" category, a name and a little more explanation than "my prof doesn't take students as experts" would probably get you a little more response. Put yourself in the other guys shoes for a minute.

Mark

Jeffrey Cohen
03-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Sent an email with links to John Zimmerman.
[http://www.edsmart.com/jz/]

bill watson
03-20-2006, 10:10 AM
A college professor who rules out anyone in college as an expert source on anything? Now there's an open mind. The part of me that reacts badly to autocratic pronouncements made from a firm platform of mediocrity is ... reacting badly.

ca4penn
03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Did my four years of active duty, was in economics, had a prof tell me we should buy sugar from Cuba, and I told him that was mighty big talk from a government worker getting checks at the governmental fed taxpayers trough. I think he was surprised at the acid filled remard. Another prof told me that we had no right to nuke Japan. That got a sharp retort of "nice that a brave professor - who has never even been in a fist fight - can second guess the motives of people from 50 years past who are fighting a war". (that guy stormed out of the class but kept his mouth in check for the rest of the semester)

Yes, I got A's in economics and history classes. You've just got to know that more than a few professors are government workers who know little more than "Cliff Claven", the postal worker from Cheers.

Half of your college professors are bright as can be. The other half are as dumb as rocks. They teach to corrupt as many kids as possible.

ILsniper
03-20-2006, 04:11 PM
This guy is an English teacher from Canada. He doesn't know two bits about the Civil War yet I, who has studied the Civil War and helped participate in reinactments, cannot be considered a good source.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Hallo!

"Expert?"
Someone with alphabet letters after their last name?
Someone with many years of collecting experience?
Someone who is a curator of a museum or collection?
Someone who does research?
Someone who builds museum-quality/as per originals reproductions?
Someone who writes magazine articles?
Someone who has authored a book and gotten it published?
Someone who sells Italian and Japanese reproductions at reenactments?
Someone who blank-shoots Italian and Japanese reproductions at reenactments?
Etc.

Not cracking wise here, but NUG (normally, generally, usually) a "college paper" involves making a statement or hypothesis and then "researching the literature" of published reference works and authors in support of one's position or statements? Or, perhaps the document/artifact pool or accounts that would support or refute it??

Your "opinion" is just as valid as anyone elses if tested and supported by "research." (Although "college level" papers often seem, IMHO, to be a test of finding the opinions of a number of others to quote and not necessarily one's "first hand" analysis/inference of the "data.")

At any rate, it may further your ability to find an "expert" if you share "what" you are looking for and why an "expert?"

Others' mileage may vary...

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

RJSamp
03-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Ask the f-in Canuck how many of his countrymen fought in the American Civil War, for which side, and why.

Federal
Bounty money and steady employment.

Plenty of books out their on ACW firearms......

More than enough for you to do research on.

David Smith had a nice paper/article/book/manual on blackpowder safety a few years ago.....start with that. Call up Dixie Gun Works.....Lodgewood Mfg......

I'll differ on most of the advice you are getting.....am sure that if you had asked Bodie Miller how to train for the Olympic Downhill that would have been dissed as a research sourse as well. as well it should be!

Toe the line, find some real experts and get the info from them. US Army might be a great place to start.....Carlisle Barracks has a superb library.....as well as the Military Academy.

Heck, most of my 'professors' were TA's.....Grad students TO BE with only a couple of more years of education than the undergrads....

just another reason to research your college before applying for admission....and research your professor prior to enrolling in the class....don't simply 'take' the class....take the professor! We talked to our guidance counselor, upperclassmen, frat brothers, dorm RA's, etc. prior to enrolling in ANY class.

RJ Samp

tompritchett
03-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Being an adjunct at two colleges I can definitely state that there can be an elitism in the Ivory Towers where you have no creditability without an MD or PhD behind your name, especially on the Liberal Arts side of the campus. Having said that however, why are you asking us to serve as "experts"? Obviously you got your information on muskets and ammunition from various hard sources and did not rely strictly on other reenactors. Use those sources to educate your fellow students and your professor. After all, that is why we all collect reference books and articles. If he does not believe you, just xerox your source and then see if he can counter it.

indguard
03-20-2006, 08:04 PM
You need to contact Geoff Waldon. He wrote a book on Enfields and is a recognized expert.

I do not have his address or email, unfortunately.

Frenchie_2006
03-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Chill, RJ, I have family up there.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_51/ai_n11840323

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3905/is_200011/ai_n8908628

Books at Amazon.com:

Civil War Guns by William B. Edwards

The Rifled Musket by Claud Fuller

Civil War Small Arms of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps by John D. McAulay