PDA

View Full Version : Anything in Illinois?

jgr1974
02-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Hello All!

I am wondering if there is any events going on in Illinois this season?
I would like to try to peddle some of my wares!

Jeremy

The Mad Mick!!!

RJSamp
02-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Lot's of local festivals of course. (Glenview, Galena, Princeton, Naper Settlement, Barrington, Sandwich, and dozens of others).

1st Weekend after July 4th is Wauconda.

1st Weekend after Labor Day is Lockport.

end of the season closer is Minooka/Dollinger Farm....it's like the third weekend in October.

There's always a big one in Jacksonville during the Summer....

New one this year is DEKALB, last weekend in March. They are having a Tattoo competition for field music, brass bands, and the like....and have added an ACW living history.

Anyway, we're up near Chi Town and concentrate on events in NE Illinois....maybe someone else will chime in about downstate events.

Skip Arensmann
02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Lot's of local festivals of course. (Glenview, Galena, Princeton, Naper Settlement, Barrington, Sandwich, and dozens of others).

1st Weekend after July 4th is Wauconda.

1st Weekend after Labor Day is Lockport.

end of the season closer is Minooka/Dollinger Farm....it's like the third weekend in October.

There's always a big one in Jacksonville during the Summer....

New one this year is DEKALB, last weekend in March. They are having a Tattoo competition for field music, brass bands, and the like....and have added an ACW living history.

Anyway, we're up near Chi Town and concentrate on events in NE Illinois....maybe someone else will chime in about downstate events.
Sir:
Jacksonville is 16-17 June this year. Besides that, there's White Hall, IL 14-15 April, Pittsfield, IL 2-3 June, Jerseyville, IL 1-3 Sept. These events are central, closer to St. Louis. Hope that helps.
Regards

RebeccaMI
02-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Last year there was a nice event in Merrilville in July, it was at a campground with a lake for swimming. (Thank goodness, because it was hotter than Hades that weekend!) But I heard it's not happening this year. Anyone know why? Lack of attendance perhaps?

Jim Dedman
02-16-2007, 10:40 AM
The event was cancelled probably because the host unit got tired of fighting with the park to make the event worthwhile. It was a nice event, but too hot in July.

Danville Illinois is on again this year in September.

cwcav3tn
02-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I have also heard that the Merrillville event is not happening. I heard for several reasons. Attendance was always good there. Last year it was way way HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

That weekend of July 25/26 there is a great event in Glenview. If you want infomation get back tome, and I will post it.

Kevin Wright

3rd TN Cav Co C.

RJSamp
02-18-2007, 08:43 AM
For those not in the know, and for those that don't know where Valpo is....Merrillville is in Indiana.

Lee's Miserable
04-08-2007, 10:54 AM
How is the Naper Settlement Civil War Days event? I've never been to one of these events before, and Naperville is only about 20 minutes away.

Is it a fun time?

RJSamp
04-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Always had the smallest of battlefields, and the Indian Wars Period stockade fort (great for soaking up arrows, but am pretty sure that Minie balls and 3" rifled cannon could rip right through) was 'cute'. Camping next to the street and listening to the kids yell out there car windows was not conducive to sleep. Many units use it as a recruiting event, and School of the Soldier/Company drill. Hopefully they've at least 'gabled' their front porch fly's to match the pitch of their wall tent's roof......

Most of us haven't been there for Years however.....and your mileage will vary.

Cannoneer
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Naperville will be my first "reenactment".
I will be going to Springfield Illionis to be part of a salute at the Lincoln memorial a "couple of hours" reenacting if you will. Also, a civil war show at the DuPage county fair grounds more as a display then a reenactment. Anyway to bring this ramble to an end, I will send you a copy of my units scheduale later in the week (after my unit meeting) if you want. Lots of Illionis events, here are a few that I know of, some are a repeat of the above

Memorial Parade, Rolling Meadows, IL May 26th, Saturday

Memorial Event, Aurora, IL May 27th, Sunday

Memorial Event, Rosehill Cemetery, Chicago, IL May 28th, Monday

Lakewood Forest Preserve, Wauconda, IL July 7th, 8th, Saturday/Sunday

The Grove, Glenview, IL 28th, 29th, Saturday/Sunday

Boscobel, WI Aug 4th, 5th, Saturday/Sunday

Heritagefest, West Dundee, IL Sept 15th, 16th, Saturday/Sunday

Wade House, Greenbush, WI Sept 22nd, 23rd, Saturday/Sunday

Minooka, IL Oct 20th, 21st, Saturday/Sunday

Racine Ball, WI Nov 3rd, Saturday

ILYankee5
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
There is also an event going on June 15-19 at Rockome Gardens (Arcola). I can't say I know much about this event, but saw it in a reenacting newspaper I get. Also don't forget about Civil War Days at Vincennes (just across the river) September 8-9. This is about as downstate as it gets as far as events. All of this however is still 2-3 hours north of me!

ilfed104
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Take the kids to the zoo or something else. Those two events really aren't worth the effort.

Rick Keating

wmkane
04-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Jeremy,

What parts of Illinois are you looking for? My unit has listed several high priority events this year:

May 18-20 Naperville - small battlefield, we always make the best of it. Good event for units to recruit . . . lots of reenactors & public. My FAVORITE to kick off the year.

July 6-8 Wauconda - always has a tactical on Sat. morning. This draws lots of troops. Usually a good public turnout too.

Sept. 7-9 Lockport - "hometown" event for my unit. Most of us hail from within 30 min. Nice sized field . . . smaller campgrounds, but we make the best of it.

October 19-21 Dolinger Farm in Minooka - BIG event. HUGE battlefield, and great meal. Lots of public & reenactors.

Other events I could suggest:
April 20-22 Galena
July 27-29 Glenview
*August 17-19 Galesburg - cool event!
October 12-14 Princeton

I've limited this list to just those events in IL, as you requested. I'm planning on being at other events outsideof IL . . .

These are some of my favorites, but as with other people's opinions: Your results may vary.

Lee's Miserable
04-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Take the kids to the zoo or something else. Those two events really aren't worth the effort.

Rick Keating

I'm 17 years old. I don't have any kids. Ever think I'd go there for my own interest?
-_-

David Meister
04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
May 19th and 20th there is a small reenactment at the grounds of Averyville Baptist Church in East Peoria, IL. Rev. Alan Farley from Reenactors for Jesus Christ will be officiating at several period-style revival services. There are battles both days, activities for civilians and a free home-cooked supper for all reenactors Saturday night plus free a free fried chicken lunch on Sunday afternoon. It's a nice event, this will be my 2nd year going and the 7th year for my wife.

David Meister