PDA

View Full Version : Who were your ancestors?

first_sgt_8thky
02-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Let's talk about our ancestors. Here are mine that I know of so far. If you know anything else about mine or your my long lost cousin then let me know. Who were your ancestors?

Confederate 3rd Great Grandfathers:
All were 13th KY Cavalry
Pvt Benjamin McCray, Co. D (have found grave)
Pvt William Sexton Jr., Co. H (rode on last KY raid with Morgan, also have found grave)
Pvt Matthew Combs, Co. G
3rd great uncles:
Sgt Halter Sexton, Co. A
Pvt Joseph Sexton, Co. A

Union
2nd Great Grandfather
Pvt Robert G. VanZant, 13th KY Inf., Co. D (have found grave)
3rd Great Grandfather
Pvt Evan D. Froedge, 37th KY Inf. Co. A (have found grave)
2nd Great Uncle
1st Sgt James W. VanZant, 13th KY Inf. Co. D (have found grave)

MickCole
02-02-2007, 09:42 AM
It appears some of our ancestors likely served together or fought against each other: here are some of mine most relevant to the 13 KY Cav (I have identified well over 100, including cousins, mostly in SW VA/SE KY).
At least four of my ancestors served with the 13th Kentucky (Caudill’s) Cavalry—my ggg-uncle Hiram F. Strong, 1st cousins Ira Estill Fugate and Nathan Ellington Fugate, and 2nd cousin Edward Callahan Strong. I also had 4 cousins who served with the 5th Kentucky Infantry. My gg-grandfather Reuben Henderson Morgan, who later became an ordained minister in the Church of Christ, served with the Scott County (Virginia) Militia, along with at least 3 of his nephews. A 1st cousin, Robert Preston Spencer, who was reported to be the oldest man in the 64th Virginia Mounted Infantry/Cavalry, served that unit as a Chaplain. Chaplain Spencer’s son James F. Spencer was wounded at Pound Gap Station, Virginia, on March 16, 1862, and died of his wounds the following day. Another son, William G. Spencer, enlisted when he was 16, and served with the 25th Virginia Cavalry. A number of other cousins served the Confederacy with the 64th and 25th, as well as the 48th Virginia Infantry, the Missouri Cavalry, the Texas Cavalry, and the Georgia Infantry. At least one cousin, James Monroe Dykes, was among those members of the 64th VA captured at Cumberland Gap who died of disease at Chicago’s infamous Camp Douglas. Some of the other family names for my many ancestors who served the Confederacy are: Bolton, Cogswell, Head, Hickam, Hopkins, Franklin, Frazier, Lewis, Livingston, Oakley, Osborne, Quillen, Rash, Ware, Williams, and Woolsey.

As might be expected in an area of the country where family loyalties were tragically divided, I also have many Union ancestors, including gg-grandfathers Armstrong Abbott (59th Indiana Infantry) and Byrd Franklin (65th KY Infantry (Enrolled Militia)), who married Susan Strong, the niece of the 13th KY Cavalry’s Surgeon Strong. One of Surgeon Strong’s cousins was William “Captain Bill” Strong, the Captain of Company K, 14th KY Cavalry (Union).
Mick Cole

rebel yell
02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
I had quite a few that fought for the South, but I know the most about one.
Private Joel Jackson Davenport-1st Battalion Hilliard's Alabama Volunteer Legion/60th Alabama Infantry Co I. He fought at Chickamauga GA where he was wounded on the last day of the battle , The siege of Knoxville TN, Dandridge TN, Drewry's Bluff VA(second battle there), He was wounded at Drewry's bluff and that was the last fighting he did. He was paroled at Ft .Deposit AL in 1865.:cool:

"Doc" Nelson
02-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, the only ancestor that I have found, thus so far, is my 3rd Great Grandfather, John Daniel Nelson. Or, "J D Nelson" as it is show on his military records. John Daniel was appointed as the Surgeon of the 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA, in 1863. He served in this capacity to the end of the war. He was at home, on sick leave, when Sherman came through the Northern Georgia area, on his was to the Sea. He joined in with a local unit, to defend against Sherman and his Army. After the war, he returned to his life as a blacksmith/gunsmith. He was a very prominent figure in the northern part of the State of Georgia. He owned lands that eventually became marble quarries. The most known was the Georgia Marble Company. Now, there is a town named after him, "Nelson, Georgia".

Micah Trent
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I had family that fought on both sides of the war, but the only records that we could find were that of my great-great grandfather Thomas Wardrip and great-great grandfather George H. Harrington who both fought for the Union's 12th KY Cavalry Co. C. They enlisted in 1862 and were musterd out in late 1865. Both ended up as corporals by wars end. I have a another relative, Foster Miller, who was a drummer boy in the Union army. We have not been able to find out what KY regiment he served under yet, all we have is a photo :( .

Major Duane
02-02-2007, 11:56 AM
The two I'm aware of...

Pvt. W.H. Adams, Co. D, 13th GA Vol. Inf (G-G Grandfather), surrendered at Appomattox.

Pvt. Moses Adams, Co. D, 13th GA Vol Inf (G-G-Uncle), died of "apoplectic fit" on the field at 2nd Manassas. Buried on the field, grave unknown.

The 13th GA was posted near the the current Gettysburg High School (near Cemetery Hill) I found the marker over there a couple of years back.

John Adams
Huckleberry Mess

Frenchie
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
It's highly unlikely for me to have any direct ancestors who were in the States during the War, let alone fought on either side, but if there was a male he'd most likely have been wearing blue, I think. He'd have come from Ireland or Newfoundland, spoken Waterford Irish as his first language, most likely be a fisherman/sailor and rejoice in the name Power (Paorach) or Barry (Barra or Bearrach).

Beidh la eile ag an Paorach.

KeystoneGuard
02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
My Great Great Great Grandfather:
Andrew Wagner, 184th PVI Company I

Also my family (Slentz's) were tenants of the McPherson Farm in Gettysburg. This is the large white barn without a home that is on the first day of battle. The house was used as a hospital and was burned after the battle. My family has the records for items lost during the battle and fire, which is really cool plus some original pictures of the home and family. The family left the home and fled to the Luthern Seminary as the first days action became hot.

Lee Ragan
02-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I have about 18 or 19 ancestors that I know of who served in the war on the Confederate side and I believe 4 that served in the Union Army. These are both direct and colateral ancestors. Some are:
Sgt. George Daniel Mitchell, Co. E, 8th Texas Cav. (Terry's Texas Rangers)
Pvt. Archibald L. Graham, Co. K, 8th Texas Infantry (Hobby's Regt.)
Pvt. Reuben Graham, Co. K. 8th Texas Infantry
Pvt. Abram Gleghorn, Co. B, 29th Arkansas Infantry
Pvt. Richard Milo Stoughton, 39th Iowa Infantry
Corporal Lewis D. Richards, Co. M, 1st Indiana Heavy Artillery
I have about a dozen colateral ancestors who served in South Carolina regiments. Their last Name was Putman.
I'm not at home right now with my records, so that's about all I can name off the top of my head.
I'm proud of them all..... both sides!

Anders
02-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Christian Ludwig Mueller, Pvt, 5th Company, Fusilier Regt Von Lossberg, captured at Trenton, escaped from Carlisle...oops wrong war...

:)

Ephraim_Zook
02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Like Frenchie, mine were still shovelling manure or something in Europe at the time of the Civil War. Just before WWI, my maternal gf was the pending enemy -- an Austrian cavalryman. (Yeah -- mounted). Then he beat feet out of the old country for America, fortunately arriving before Franz Ferdinand took a bullet and bled all over Europe.

cavsgt
02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
After playing at being a member of the 7th ILL Cavalry for several years I found that my Great Grandfather was a member of Co. H. He was with Grierson on the raid.

Pvt_Idaho
02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather Thomas Keeney, private, from Connecticut. Served in April, 1775, seven months in Captain Ozias Bissell’s company, Colonel George Pitkin’s regiment; from sometime in February, 1776, two months under Lieutenant Richard Pitkin in Colonel Wyllys’ regiment; in the summer of 1776, two months in Captain Timothy Cheney’s company; in the fall of 1777, two months in Captain Richard Pitkin’s company, stationed in Fort Griswold; in the summer of 1778, two months in Captain Amasa Loomis’ company.

His grandsons and great grandsons fought in the Civil War--my direct ancestors were too old, too young, or too female to enlist, but I have at least three uncles and twenty five cousins who fought for the Union in PA, NY, and Ohio regiments.

Audrey Scanlan

Mich8th
02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Only one on my side of the family and that was William Henry Flory Pvt. Co K Michigan 8th Cav. Survived Andersonville went in at 156 lbs and was liberated at 89 lbs. Have original Discharge Papers and things he carved.

cookiemom
02-03-2007, 10:22 PM
One so far... Maj. William Franklin Hawes, QM, 2nd KY Cavalry, Co. "D" (CSA)(Morgan's Raiders) [younger brother of Richard Hawes, Confederate Gov. of KY from Oct. 1862 to war's end...]

GaWildcat
02-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Only confirmed ancestor is Pvt Joshua Oliver, USA, who was all over the place, Serving 3 months with the 86th Ohio infantry, Then serving with Co I, 2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery, and after mustering out in 1864, enlisted in the 2nd Minnesota Cavalry.

I believe that I had a few relatives, possibly distant cousins in Co. B, 35th Tennessee Infantry, CSA, but this is not confirmed at this time as I have hit something of a stonewall in tracing it back.

31stWisconsin
02-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Only one I know for sure was my GX4 Grandfather, Friederick Mallman who imigrated after the revolutions of 1848 from Southern Germany and was in the 9th Wisconsin, and he reenlisted as a vetern volunteer. My paternal side at the time was in Ireland/Norway/France/Quebec.

cosgood
02-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Edwin, Steven and William Osgood Co. C 154th NY Infantry "The Hardtack Regiment" 11th/20th A.C

On my wifes side ( so relative by marriage) Henry Hoyt Company H 114th NY Infantry.

Edwin Osgood was captured at gettysburg, and died while in prison in Richmond.

Thats about all I have right now, I am still doing research on all of this.

LARRY
02-04-2007, 05:44 AM
I am still researching family history, several that fought for the union and one for the confederacy on my fathers side of the family with one passing away at the POW camp in Dansville.
Sgt James Bishop-137th NY Volunteers GG Grandfather
Corp. Hiram VanDemark 50th NY Engineers.

Hardtimes
02-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Pvt. Thomas O'Dea Co.E 16th Regiment Maine Infantry. a paid substitute, He was captured May 1864 in the Wilderness, survived Andersonville Prison.

On my mothers side;

Pvt. George Haberer 33rd NY Light Artillery,enlisted at Buffalo NY 2/1/1864; died of disease 10/31/1864

Regards, Bill O'Dea
Salt Boilers mess (http://www.rugglesrag.com/salt_boiler_mess.htm)
Syracuse NY

CivilWarBuff1863
02-04-2007, 07:33 AM
My 8 of the 12 ancestors that have fought and died for the Union.

Corporal Arron Layton: 133rd Reg. PA Inf.

Private Alexander Tantlinger: 11th Reg. PA Inf. Co. E

Private Daniel Tantlinger (son of Alexander): 192nd Vol. Inf. PA Co. G, rejoined again under 21st PA Calvary. Co. F

Private Samuel Layton: 184th PA Inf. Co. A. Captured and imprisoned at Andersonville Prison. Died Aug. 18th 1864 of scorbutus (scurvy) while at Andersonville. Grave number, 6053.

Private Paul Kuhns: 46th Reg. PA Inf. Co. G

Private William Chase: 6th Reg. PA Calvary Co. G, rejoined with 62nd Reg. PA Inf. in 1862, rejoined 199th PA Inf. Co. D in 1864, rejoined for last time with 99th PA Inf. Co. L. He was present in the field when Gen. Lee surrendered at Appomattox.

Private John Layton: 138th PA Vol. Inf. Co. D. Buried in National Cemetary at Winchester, VA

Private Ezra Layton: 6th Reg. PA Inf. Co. D

Hoosier Yank
02-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Great-great-great grandfather(s)
Andrew Jackson Chitwood Co. D, 25th Indiana Infantry
Reuben Hendrickson Co. F, 27th Indiana Infantry
John E. Turner Co. D, 50th Indiana Infantry

Great-great-great-great grandfather
Wesley Chambers Co. B, 76th Illinois Infantry

Great-great-great uncle(s)
* John F. Campbell Co. F, 27th Indiana Infantry (brother-in-law of Reuben Hendrickson)
Aaron David Chambers (unknown) Indiana or Illinois (son of Wesley Chambers)
James Chambers (unknown) Indiana or Illinois (son of Wesley Chambers)
Joseph L. Franklin Co A, 59th Indiana Infantry
Pleasant Franklin 97th Indiana Infantry
Alfred Layman Co. G, 33rd Indiana Infantry

* Present when his company stumbled upon Lee’s Special Orders Number 101. Many years after the war when the surviving spouse of the actual finder (Corporal Mitchell) applied for a widows pension, John made an sworn affidavit on her behalf. John stated that he read the order out loud to those that either couldn’t read and for those that couldn’t get close enough to see what the big find was.

david48
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
My Wifes' family (Porterfield) were on both sides, more in the CSA then the USA. The Family first came to the "New World" in the 1600's settled in NJ. Then Lancaster CO. PA--had lots of youngn's and spread south and west. She does a lot of geneolgy and there has been two books published about this family. She is always looking for Cousins, we found one last Fall working at Spotsylvania NMP, They are everywhere!! Thanks

cavsgt
02-04-2007, 10:41 AM
Hoosier Yank
I do not know if you are aware of the Illinois Secetary of State Veterans Data Base. There is a bunch of Chambers.

Phill

FWL
02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
My great great grandfather was a well to do dutch farmer. His name was Homer Bush, Monroe, NY (near West Point). He paid a substitute to go for him, family lore was he said he was too busy to "take time off for that soldern business"

regards

Mojo1842
02-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I've tracked down one direct ancestor that served in the Confederate army- my GGGF, Martin Luther Johnston. He was a member of the 5th KY (Orphan Brigade). Then I've tracked down an indirect ancestor that served in the Union army- Pvt. Malon (Mahlon) Steele. The ironic thing about my GGGF and his fabled unit is that they several times faced off against two of the units that I belong to- the 35th OVI and the 19th US Infantry.

I'm still tracking down my family tree on that side of the family.

Hoosier Yank
02-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Hoosier Yank
I do not know if you are aware of the Illinois Secetary of State Veterans Data Base. There is a bunch of Chambers.

Phill

That is a great data base, however, I need the DOB(s) for both the Chambers boys before I can nail down a specific unit. I've checked census records and as you know only give their age as the date the census was taken. County records aren't much help either. Several letters that Wesly wrote told those boys to stay put but being children they didn't listen. I cost one his life.

7thMDYankee
02-05-2007, 07:02 AM
My Great-great-great-grandfather was Samuel Blaine Burt, botswain's mate aboard the USS Tristram Shandy (later USS Boxer), serving from 1864 until late 1865. That is my maternal direct link - paternally the family didn't get here until long after the last shot was fired. Also from my mother's side are included many others - distant cousins - that fought mainly with regiments from Maine and New York.

creel
02-07-2007, 11:06 AM
ggg-grandfather Duncan S Creel, pvt, 1861, 15th AL Co D - Discharged (insanity - only 15 years old), conscripted CS marine corp 1863. served at Mobile, Drewy's Bluff and CSS Richmond in Feb 1865, never have found discharge paper - probably just walked home. Went on to have 9 children withe wife Emily Carr Creel, and raised 6, lost 3 after birth. Buried somewhere at Hospital in Tuscaloosa , AL - have been unable to find grave.

Many of the 15th AL are related to me.

His Brother, John Creel, pvt, 1861, 29th AL Co K, said to have "deserted" spring of 62 (most likely planting). 1863 consripted CS marines - noted in Libby Prison April 10, 1865, never made it home. Probably told young brother to get the H*ll home.

brother Preston Creel, 2nd lt, 29th AL Co K, wounded Nov 1864 at Franklin, died in Camp Chase

brother, James F Creel, sgt, 29th AL,wounded in hand in TN, survived war and was a teacher and worked for weather service. Noted as being in Early CO, GA in 1906. Headstone in Edison, GA says he is buried in TX.

brother, Levi Creel, pvt 29th, 1861 17 years old, survived war died at 35 years of age. Help Founded "Creel Church" near Texasville, AL where he is buried.

brother, George Creel, pvt 28th LA died of disease 1863

brother, William Creel, pvt 56th AL died at home 63

brother, Daniel Creel, too old to fight - someone had to stay home

Father, Levi Creel, Sr died of pnuemonia and buried in Richmond after going to get Duncan to send boy home.

Mother, Sinia Stievender Creel, sold farm in 1863 for $14,000, buried in Edison, GA in ca 1888

Many of the Creel's in SC, NC and VA are related as proved by records and DNA of their decendants.

gg-grandafther Shelton Pickle, pvt, 51st GA Co A was captured at Gettysburg. His brothers also were with unit

ggg-grandfather Joshua Lewis Harriss, sgt, 51st with brothers.

Averitts of the 51st are also my relatives.

Many others of this unit are related.

There is a Duncan M Creel,sgt, in PA unit however, according to DNA this line isn't related to mine.

RJSamp
02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
That is a great data base, however, I need the DOB(s) for both the Chambers boys before I can nail down a specific unit. I've checked census records and as you know only give their age as the date the census was taken. County records aren't much help either. Several letters that Wesly wrote told those boys to stay put but being children they didn't listen. I cost one his life.

The 1900 US Census give Month and Year of birth (if they're alive, and if they don't 'lie' about their age). Their are other databases that can be looked at to nail down a birthdate as well......

I'm up on Ancestry.com a lot.....plenty of data up there.... (and pointers to free stuff as well).

rjsamp@ameritech.net if you want me to do a quick perusal on a couple of Chambers.....

gzook
02-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Confirmed ancestors who fought in the Civil War (there are other ancestors who probably fought but not confirmed at this time):

Union:

My "direct" ancestor (great-great grandfather): Private William James Stump, Company I 128th Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Enlisted 1 January 1864 at Michigan City, Indiana, "mustered in" 18 March 1864, wounded at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, died of typhoid fever at General Hospital Chattanooga, Tennessee 13 July 1864 (had he stayed with his unit he probably would have survived!).

Great-great uncle: Sgt Samuel Anderson II, 35th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.

Great-great uncle: John C. Anderson, 35th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.

Great-great cousin: Private Amasa Parkinson, 35th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, killed at the Battle of Stone Ridge, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, January 1863.

Great-great cousin: Brigadier General / Brevet Major General Samuel K. Zook, Commander 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, II Corps, mortally wounded at the Wheat Field, Battle of Gettysburg, 2 July 1863, died 3 July 1863.

Confederate

Great-great-great uncle: Captain George Washington Stump, commander Company B, 18th Virginia Cavalry, captured morning of 5 February 1865 Hampshire County Virginia (had become part of West Virginia) when wounded, was executed by Union troops that evening when he became too weak to ride to the rear as a prisoner of war.

Glen

Gregg Hensley
02-07-2007, 08:40 PM
So far, I've managed to find 12 ancestors who fought for the South, all in N.C. Infantry companies. Counting cousins and such, I can get way on up there (40+). All of the ones I've researched have been just pore dirt farmers from western N.C (no plantation owners here).

My namesake GG Grandfather was Stephen Anderson Hensley who served in Co. C (The Rutherford Rifles), 34th NC State Troops. He enlisted in June '61 and served with his unit until he was captured near Fort Stedman on March 25, '65. He was held at Point Lookout until June '65, when he was released. He had numerous times in the hospital, including a stay in Chimborazo Hospital (near Richmond) while the 34th went to Gettysburg. I've always wondered if he had been a healthy man, would he have survived Gettysburg. All of us have "what if" type questions concerning our ancestors survival in the War.

Interestingly, I reenact with Co. K, 22nd NC The McDowell Boys. This unit was formed here in McDowell County, NC, where most of my ancestors lived, as I do also. Co. K had a man named Alney Burgin as first Co. commander. He was my wife's GG Grandfather. She (and our son also) had 6-8 ancestors who were in Co. K. So, I'm working on a firper using one of my son's ancestors as a guide. The plot thickens. There were 5 of MY ancestors who fought in Co. B, 22nd NC, which was also formed in McDowell County. Hmmm, my son has in the neighborhood of a dozen ancestors from this regiment alone, from 2 different family trees. The plot thickens. Going back to my namesake, he had a brother also in the 34th NC. The 22nd and the 34th were brigaded together under Dorsey Pender early on and fought side by side to the bitter end. Pender's Brigade was one of the best in the ANV and were in the thick of it in many battles. I've walked where my ancestors fought on numerous battlefields in Va., Maryland and Pa., and I find the curiousity of wondering if they had met, were friends, pards, etc. to be a good mental exercise.

This is one of the best threads on here in a while and I hope everyone will take a little time and tell us about your folks.

Pvt.Holley
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
I had three fairly interesting ancestors that we know of. One, Robert Thomas, from Monroe County, VA (now WVA), fought in Lowry's Battery. He was captured at Cedar Creek in Octoboer 1864, and sent to Point Lookout Prison in Maryland. He died a couple of weeks before the war ended, and from records I've seen, he is burried there. Another ancestor (don't recall his name) was a northern musician, and was captured and sent to Andersonville (we have the official papers on him). He survived Andersonville, and returned home after the war. The last one is Levi Cart, from Braxton County, VA ( Again, no WVA). He fought in a Virginia Cavalry regiment, but he is kinda hard to find anything about. He survived the war, and we actually have pics of him post-war in his Confederate uniform..... http://www.rootsweb.com/~wvbraxto/pictures/WVGroup.jpg

This is a link to the picture...it was taken around 1915, and you can clearly see Levi Cart in his uniform, on the right-hand side of the pic, with the awesome mustache.

easttnfed
02-14-2007, 03:49 PM
My great, great, great grandfather on my dad's side of the family was a mule skinner in Co. I, 8th TN Cavalry(US). His name was Greene Ray. His unit was mostly in action around the East Tennessee area during the war. He died in 1919.

I also have a Confederate ancestor on my mom's side but don't know much about him or who he was with as of yet.

Kopfjager
02-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, I have been unable to trace my family back that far
:confused:

reb64
02-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Well, the only ancestor that I have found, thus so far, is my 3rd Great Grandfather, John Daniel Nelson. Or, "J D Nelson" as it is show on his military records. John Daniel was appointed as the Surgeon of the 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA, in 1863. He served in this capacity to the end of the war. He was at home, on sick leave, when Sherman came through the Northern Georgia area, on his was to the Sea. He joined in with a local unit, to defend against Sherman and his Army. After the war, he returned to his life as a blacksmith/gunsmith. He was a very prominent figure in the northern part of the State of Georgia. He owned lands that eventually became marble quarries. The most known was the Georgia Marble Company. Now, there is a town named after him, "Nelson, Georgia".

I wonder how that wouldsit with him

reb64
02-15-2007, 01:54 AM
It's highly unlikely for me to have any direct ancestors who were in the States during the War, let alone fought on either side, but if there was a male he'd most likely have been wearing blue, I think. He'd have come from Ireland or Newfoundland, spoken Waterford Irish as his first language, most likely be a fisherman/sailor and rejoice in the name Power (Paorach) or Barry (Barra or Bearrach).

Beidh la eile ag an Paorach.

No telling witht the irish. no sense of themselves, they fight against /for /with self.

lt83
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I actually have 5 that I know of.

From the 22nd Pennsylvania Cavalry Ringgold Batallion
Morgan Mathews ( Great Grandfather)
Solomon Mathews ( Great Uncle)
John C Mathews ( Great Uncle)

From the 12th PA Reserves
Nelson Mathews (Great Uncle) This is the only relative that died during the war. He was wounded at Fair Oaks during the Seven Days at the Peninsula campaign. Died 10 days later at Willows church outside Richmond.

And From the 69th PVI
Solomon Russell (Great Grandfather)

12thriv
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
well looky here, we got ourselves another lost causer namely reb64, my ancestors was bobby lee himself, how do a live with yourself if you do bluebelly and your great grand pappy was a rebel. Yee haw lets go to a reenactment, and start a shoot em up . Ahyok the south will rise again. I will quote a famous youtube clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAN2CI3qfTk
"If you know any Asians, then you probably know that slavery as a... has not disappeared from the earth", lets grow out of this mindset people seriously.

Southern Cal
02-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Ancestors that I know of so far:

John Van Cise, Pvt 83rd Pensylvania Vol. Inf. Wounded twice at "Peeble's Farm" (Poplar Springs), Virginia, Sept. 1864

Waren Yaple, Lt 3rd Illinois Vol. Cav. Wounded at Pea Ridge, Arkansas, March 1862

Jonas Roberts, Pvt 173rd Pennsylvania Vol. Inf. Disabled with pneumonia and discharged, April 1865.

Oh, I forgot...

Wallerand Dumond, born 1657, Commines, Flanders (now Belgium) Soldier, Dutch West India Company, New Amsterdam (now New York City), father of first male child born in the Dutch colony. The first born native Yankee, hehehe.

easttnfed
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Since some of us are going back way beyond the days of the Civil War, let me enlighten some of you about another ancestor that I am kin to. The only Governor of the State of Franklin and the first Governor of the State of Tennessee, Governor John Sevier, is also one of my ancestors that I am related to by a long line of marriages.This would put him as my 7th great grandfather.

Southern Cal
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm reading a book "Andrew Jackson, His Life and Times". Your great........grandpa Sevier was a hero of the American Revolution and won the battle of King's Mountain, Georgia, as well as being a famous "Indian" fighter. He also had a nasty feud with Andrew Jackson after insinuating that Jackson had committed adultery (apparently Andrew Jackson had a common law marriage with his wife Rachel, while she thought she was legally divorced). A second and public slander accusing Jackson of running off with another man's wife led to a "duel" of sorts, where both parties ended riding away angry but without any blood being spilled.

TNCivilian
02-20-2007, 06:00 PM
The only Ancestor I know of on any side is my Aunt's Great-Grandfather -- John G. Moss, who enlisted in Captain Pat H. Saunders Company, 19th Texas Cavalry on March 31, 1862, and was Medically Discharged April 21, 1863, "Suffering under Bright's Disease of the Kidneys aggravated by exposure in Army."

Steve Wermuth
Formerly 1st MA Cavalry, Co. B 1986-1995
Yankee Paymaster 1995-1998

MtVernon
02-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Anyone who has ancestors from the Civil War (or not!), I urge you to join as brothers and help with the very worthwhile work we as members undertake as Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Here's a handy link! http://www.suvcw.org/

On my mother's side, my Great-Great-Grandfather, Dietrich Bingle, served for three years as a Private in the 10th NYHA. His sister's son, John Wisner, also served in the same regiment in Co. C. His brother, Adam Wisner , served in Co. G of the 186th NYVI.

On my father's side, pre-war (1850's), off-the-boat-Irish Anthony Harn served in Co. H of the 9th Infantry, stationed at Ft. Steilacoom near Seattle.

sigman
02-22-2007, 05:45 PM
My link to the war is Phillip Korndaffer, 71st PA. Was present at the stand at Copse of Trees at Gettysburg. He was wounded just below the knee in the final assault. Spent a great deal of time recuperating. Ended the war as a hospital steward with 69th PA!
Andy Siganuk asiganuk@comcast.net

Rebtg
02-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Confederates

Solomon Griffin 1st Sgt, Co E, 54th Ga. Vol Inf. 3rd Great grandfather

Mitchell M. Griffin Pvt, Co C/G, 29th Ga Vol Inf. Died Aug 11, 1862
3rd Great grand uncle

William H. H. Griffin Pvt, Co. E, 54th Ga Vol Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle

George W. Griffin Pvt, Co. C/G, 29th Ga Vol Inf. Died After Sep 30, 1862
3rd Great grand uncle

Elbert James Griffin Pvt, Co. H, 12th Ga Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle

John Mitchell Griffin Sgt, Co D, 29th Ga Vol Inf. 4th Great grand uncle

Thomas L. Taylor Pvt, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf. 3rd Great grandfather

Robert Lewis Taylor Pvt, Pvt, Co. E, 54th Ga Vol Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle

William J. Taylor Pvt, Ga, Inf 3rd Great grand uncle

John Cook Pvt, Co. K, 50th Ga Inf. Died 20 January 1863 in Richmond, VA 3rd Great grand uncle

John Jasper Cook Pvt, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf . 3rd Great grand uncle
Moses G. Sutton Pvt, Co. E, 29th Ga Inf. 4th Great grandfather
Discharged on 19 August 1862 in Savannah, Ga (55y)

Jeremiah W. Sutton Pvt, Co. F/H, 1st (Symons) Georgia Reserves
3rd Great grandfather
Seaborn J. Sutton Pvt, Co.E, 54th Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle
Newton J. Sutton Pvt, Co. H, 26 Georgia Inf. 3rd great grand uncle Died 17 Nov1864 Staunton, Va. Buried Thornrose Cem.

Ira Jordan Sutton Pvt, Co.E, 54th Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle
Jordan Webb Pvt, Co.E, 54th Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle
John Webb Pvt, Co.E, 54th Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle
Elijah W. Overstreet Corp, Co. E/F, 1st (Symons) Georgia Reserves
3rd Great grandfather

Hezekiah Overstreet Pvt. Capt. Hughes' Co., 1 Battalion Georgia Cavalry
3rd Great grand uncle

Joseph Watson Pvt, Co.E, 54th Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle
Hardeman Sirmans Pvt, Co. H, 4th Ga Cavalry 4th Great grand uncle
Abner Sirmans Pvt, Co H, 29th Ga Inf. 4th Great grand uncle
Harmon Gaskins Justice of the Berrien County, Georgia, Inferior Court 1856-1865 4th Great grandfather

Fisher H. Gaskins Pvt, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf 3rd Great grand uncle
Harmon Gaskins Jr. Pvt, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf. Died 13 June 1862 of disease in Virginia. 3rd Great grand uncle

Charles H. Sweeney Pvt, Co. H, 2nd Va Cavalry & Shoemaker's Battery, Stuart Horse Art. 3rd Great grandfather

Robert Miller Sweeney Pvt, Co. H, 2nd Va Cavalry (Fiddle player for Jeb Stuart) 3rd Great grand uncle

Sampson D. Sweeney Pvt, Co. H, 2nd Va Cavalry (Banjo Player for Jeb Stuart) 1st Cousin 5R
John Ellis Pvt, Co. A, (31st Tn.Inf./ 39th Tn Mtd Inf.)
3rd Great grandfather

James Ellis Ord. Sgt., Co. A., (31st Tn.Inf./ 39th Tn Mtd Inf.) 3rd Great grand uncle

Yankees

James H. Blackard Pvt, Co..B, 196th Ohio Inf. 3rd Great grandfather
Jacob S. Super Sgt. Co. F, 17 Pennsylvania Cav. 3rd Great grand uncle
Andrew Temple Tipton Sgt. Co. B, 3rd TN Cav., USA 3rd Great grandfather
Killed in SS Sultana explosion 27Apr1865

Spencer D. Tipton Pvt, Co. B, 3rd TN Cav., USA Killed 25 Mar 1863.
3rd Great grand uncle Buried Stones River National Cem.

James M. Whittle Pvt, Co. B, 3 TN Inf., USA 3rd Great grand uncle

Rebtg
02-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Henry Jones Pvt, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle

Irwin Jones Commisary, Co. I, 50th Ga Inf. 3rd Great grand uncle

Gregg Hensley
02-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm reading a book "Andrew Jackson, His Life and Times". Your great........grandpa Sevier was a hero of the American Revolution and won the battle of King's Mountain, Georgia, as well as being a famous "Indian" fighter. He also had a nasty feud with Andrew Jackson after insinuating that Jackson had committed adultery (apparently Andrew Jackson had a common law marriage with his wife Rachel, while she thought she was legally divorced). A second and public slander accusing Jackson of running off with another man's wife led to a "duel" of sorts, where both parties ended riding away angry but without any blood being spilled.

I live in McDowell County NC, which was some of Sevier's stomping grounds way back then. Everyone hereabouts who has any interest in local history is familiar with the name. As a matter of fact, there is a small community in the county named after Sevier. He, along with the Carsons and McDowells, was instrumental in organizing the mountain men to rise up against the British. Take a little time and read about The Overmountain Men. Tenn. and NC have the Overmountain Victory Trail, which is followed every year in Oct. by a handful of dedicated reenactors. They start at Sycamore Shoals, Tn and follow the route through NC to Kings Mtn. They camp as the militia did (hardcore campaigner) and camp in nearly the same locations as the militia did on this long march. At Kings Mtn. they do ceremonies to honor those mountain men who taught the British a bloody lesson. Their story is an interesting look at how the British managed to really make some enemies out of men who, up to that point, didn't much care one way or another about the Revolution.

csuppelsa
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Hugh Crymble - 15th Ohio Infantry
John Crymble - 15th Ohio Infantry

rebelyell62
02-24-2007, 10:08 AM
One of my Dads relitives compiled a list of decendants going back to 1790.
His name was John Brown, Who settled on a parcel of land located along the Buck Creek in Kentucky (present day Lincoln County).

Her research took over 2 years to complete. However there are only names, dates, and and locations included in the text.

My question is , how can I take the information she has found and determine the occupations or military service of my ancestors?

Thanx,
Wendell

Pvt. Planks
03-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Here are the ones I know of for sure:

Confederate:
Private James W. Caudill 13th Kentucky Cavalry
Private Isom H. Caudill 13th Kentucky Cavalry
Private William Caudill 13th Kentucky Cavalry
Colonel Benjamin E. Caudill 13th Kentucky Cavalry
Capt. David Jesse Caudill 13th Kentucky Cavalry

Union:
Major General Daniel E. Sickles III Corps

Regular3
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
US or CS?

I ask because my mom's great-grandfather Granville Begley served in the 8th Kentucky U.S. Unfortunately he had a cousin or uncle also named Granville and their service records in the National Archives are all mixed up ... But he survived the war and lived until around 1900.

My father's great-grandfather Nathan Cochran served in the 50th Virginia, captured with Johnson's Brigade at Spotsylvania ... Sent to Point Lookout and from there to Elmira ... Then back to Point Lookout in October 1864 and from there to Savannah to be part of an exchange for U.S. prisoners from Andersonville. He died in Savannah on November 28, 1864 and is buried in Laurel Grove Cemetery there. I visited his grave a couple of years ago.

Both direct ancestors had brothers, cousins, etc., that also served.

And while I'm at it I'll just put in a pitch for my wife's ancestors. Her great-grandfather (yep, it's a long story) Lt. Nathan Basye of Shenandoah County, VA, rode with Ashby in the 7th Virginia Cavalry along with at least 3 of his brothers. He was shot in one kneecap at Brandy Station and "scalped" as he put it by a Yankee cavalryman's saber. He kept the leg although he needed a crutch the rest of his life - My father-in-law still has one of his crutches. He died in 1918 at the age of 85.

Mich8th
03-12-2010, 02:06 PM
My greatgrandfather William Henry Flory Pvt. Co. K Mich 8th Cav. captured sent to Andersonville then escaped 154 pounds when captured 83 when liberated during Shermans March. I have his original Discharge Paper.

Pvt_McIntire
03-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I had two direct ancestors (great great grandfathers) and two indirect ancestors who all fought for the Union:

Pvt. Charles Henry McIntire, 30th Maine Infantry (gggrandfather)
Pvt. William Alphaeus Hunter, 50th Mass. Infantry (gggrandfather)
Pvt. Albion Campbell McIntire, 2nd Mass. Infantry (great great uncle)
2nd Lt. Edwin A. Swain, 3rd USCT Infantry (great great uncle--died on Morris Island, SC)

I've been able to find regimental histories for all but the 30th Maine. If anyone knows of the existence of one, please let me know.

Thanks!

codeman1798
03-13-2010, 08:42 PM
My direct ancestors were CPT Arthur Roberts, and SGT Hezekiah Lee Reid Roberts, both of Co. A, 1st FLA Cavalry, and PVT (Ithink) Amon Thompson, 29th GA INF. CPT Roberts resigned in mid 1862 due to age, and SGT Roberts served until he was taken prisoner at Murfreesborough. PVT Thompson served through the war I believe, I havent researhed him too much yet.
I have other indirect ancestors who served, mostly in 1st FL CAV, and 3rd FL INF.

Cody Langston

bucky101stPA
03-14-2010, 09:14 PM
My ancestor was Col Joseph H. Wilson, from Beaver Co., Pa. He had served as Captain,Major,Colonel and Major General of militia and recieved authority to recruit a regiment which became the 101st Pennsylvania Infantry. He was in command from the fall of 1861 until his death from illness May 30th 1862 in Roper's Church, VA. His body was retrieved by his brothers and returned home and buried in the Zelienople,Pa cemetary.

Gary E.
03-15-2010, 10:02 AM
G-G-G-G-Grandfather
Thomas Jefferson Elliott
53rd Virginia Infantry

Only one I know of right now.

moconfed
03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Looks like I'm the first from the great state of Missouri!
B.D. Lewis, MO State Guard Co. I, Todd's Partisan Rangers, Sgt.12th MO Cav. Co. E,
Several others, as well, from the Spratt family.
We've been in MO since around 1823, with no yanks in the woodpile yet!

old reb46
03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Great Grandfather: John Yerby 4th Mississippi Infantry
Great Great Grandfather: William Yerby 30th Mississippi Infantry
Great Great Grandfather: Elija McClure 28th Texas Dismounted Cavalry
Great Great Grandfather: Joel Smith 36th Arkansas Infantry
Great Great Grandfather: William Lewis 36th Arkansas Infantry
Great Great Grandfather: Robert Williams 20th Texas Infantry
A bunch of great great Uncles and Cousins
The coolest was a Great Great Uncle that belonged to the Caddo Lake Militia and skedaddled in April 1862. I like doing the skedaddled impression.;)

TheQM
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
My GGGrandfather and namesake John Rodman, had the world's shortest military career. He joined the 69th. Pennsylvania on April 15, 1864. He was killed by a shell fragment on April 8, 1864.

He left a wife and six children back in Philadelphia.

FloridaHoosier
03-21-2010, 12:44 PM
My GGGrandfather and namesake John Rodman, had the world's shortest military career. He joined the 69th. Pennsylvania on April 15, 1864. He was killed by a shell fragment on April 8, 1864.

He left a wife and six children back in Philadelphia.

How did he die a week before his enlistment?

Pvt. Sweetey
03-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Great Great Great Grandpa
Cpl. Benjamin H. Dillman
9th PA Cavalry Company E
Took a wound at Griswoldville, GA
Served 1861-1865; veteran

Great Great Great Uncle
Pvt. Reuben Dillman
208th PVI Company F
Served 1864-1865

Both of them are Union. My great-cousin has Ben's military record and Ben and Reuben's copy of an original tintype. Reuben's military record was burned in a fire.

JS1861
03-21-2010, 02:11 PM
My 2xGrand Pa was Pvt. Starling John Savage, 35th Tennessee Infantry Reg. CSA
My 3xGrandpa was 4th Cpl. William Preston Foster, Colms' 1st Tennessee Infantry Batallion CSA

Joey Savage
Tennessee

TheQM
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
How did he die a week before his enlistment?

Ross,

I had a brain fart. John Rodman was killed on May 8, 1864, three weeks after he enlisted.

MajorK
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
I had 2 great, great, great uncles who fought for the blue. Pvt Sebastian Gruneisen was a private in Battery A, 1st KY Artillery (Stone's Battery) and served for the duration of the war. It was noted by an author friend of mine that it was truly ironic that the guns sent to quell the Bloody Monday riots in Louisville would be serviced several years later by the same Germans it had it's guns on.

Jakob Karcher was a private in Company E, 5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. Company E was made up of all Germans. Strangely enough I used his personna when I fell in with my infantry buddies simply because he had my same last name and was told that there were actually 2 families of the same name but no relation in Louisville at the time. It was later revealed to me that he was indeed related, my great, great grandpa's little brother, who had followed him to Louisville 6 months after he had immigrated. They rarely spoke to each other yet lived in the same city.

just4fun63
03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
I found one so far Pvt W.J. "Buck" McEwen Great Grandfather Texas Cavalry. Still looking into some more distant relatives. Family on my fathers side has been here since the 1730s.

filecloser63
03-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a few...

1.Archibald Slater-100th Pa. (roundheads)-killed @ South Mountin, Md
(have his papers from Natl Archives)

2. Evan Slater -78th pa.-wounded and captured @ Stones River
parroled then joined 6th pa Cav. under mothers maiden name

3.William Slater-107th Pa

I got info from family records and Natl archives.....I found it really amazing

Colonel Dave
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Great, Great Uncle General James Shackelford from Harlan, Kentucky, Commanded the 23rd Kentucky and is credited with capturing Johin Hunt Morgan at the conclusion of his Indiana/Ohio raid on July 26, 1863.
On an eerie note, 7/26 is my birthday. He didn't really capture Morgan, a local Militia officer did but when Shackelford rode up, he dismissed the Militia officer and reported the he had captured Morgan with the assistance of the militia.

There were Confederat privates in the 10th Kentucky who, from their hometowns of Harlan, were certainly related but I have never found the direct connection.

Justin Runyon
03-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Thus far:

Theodore Runyon, Brig, Gnl. New Jersey Brigade, Post-war ambassador to Germany where he died of a heart attack in January of '96. Fort Runyon, now buried under modern day Alexandria VA (just on the VA side of the Long Bridge) was named for him.

David Mairose (later Mayrose), 107th OVI: A shoemaker by trade David enlisted in Zoar OH as a substitute for his draftee brother who had a wife and children, David being a single man at the time. Burned some bridges in Georgia, served as Military postmaster in Jacksonville, Florida till '66, became the postmaster of Ashboro IN where he is now buried.

Additionally I feel compelled to tell one of my favorite storys.

Late in the afternoon on or about 20 September 1861, two fellows boarded the last small train that ran from Owen County Indiana to the big town of Terre Haute (two counties away in nearby Vigo Co.) bent on enlisting in Indiana's 31st rgt. I am not sure if they knew each other when the boarded or not. The two fellows made it to Camp Vigo as the unit was preparing to disembark for Evansville, then from there to KY and the seat of the war. They appear to be the last two recruits accepted into the regiment. Both were placed in Co. B and served with relative distnction rising to the roster of NCO's together, and afterward living fruitful lives in Clay and Vigo counties respectively. The two in question were John Harrison Nees and James M. Woodburn.

Matt Woodburn (whom many of you know) and I met many years ago and became the fastest of friends. It wasn't until last year, researching our families independently, that we stumbled upon, and pieced together, the story of our Great Great Grandfathers; John & James, who caught that last train together to get in while the gettin' was good.

Thanks for obliging me in telling this story.

HandSpike
03-26-2010, 05:18 AM
3 Relatives that I know of . On my mom's side my Great Great Grandfaher Pvt. David Phetteplace and his son Corporal David H. Phetteplace served in Battery B 1st Rhode Island Light Artillery on the 6th gun, left section from 1861 until 1865 in almost every major engagement. David H. who was 16 at the time met his future wife on the way back from Gettysburg after the battle. I know serve with that same unit. Also my Great Great Grandfather George Washington MIller on my dad's side served with Company D 6th Infantry Regiment

Diamond'sArtilleryQtm.
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm afraid I don't have the proud lineage of most reenactors in the field. 1/4 of my bloodline was Apache, and too concerned with fighting settlers in the west during the war to take a side, and many of the others were poor farmers in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky and sat out the entire war if you can believe it. The only possible claim I have cannot be entirely proven because of really bad birth and marriage records (or none at all), and even if it were, it would be a distant relation. Oddly enough, it's one that is quite well known.

Here's the rumor:
During the War, there was a a scout for the ANV who had relatives move to Virginia after the war. One of those distant relatives of this scout married into a small family in Eastern Kentucky near Pikeville, and had a large family. Somewhere down the line, one of the children was adopted by my great great grandfather, and raised as a Harrington, making him my great grandfather.

Now here's the tragic part about not being able to prove it: It was Henry Thomas Harrison. :cry:

TJ Bartel
03-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Great-great grandfather Joshua D. Harrington 1st Sgt. Co. A 159th New York Vols
Great- great grandfather George D. Schemerhorn Sgt. Co. E 150th New York Vols.

DamYankee25
03-30-2010, 02:53 PM
John Collins - United States Navy, Engine Room, USS Michigan. First Iron-Hulled steam ship of the US Navy.

arm488
03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Thaddeus Kane Miller. Co. A. 61st OVI.

mississippian
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Just a few of my GGG Grandfathers:

1. William Henry Harrision McDonald- Pvt, Co. H 26th North Carolina Infantry, Joined in May 1861, Wounded at Bristoe Station, served until end of war.

2. Benjamin Holder-1st Lt. Co. F, 1st South Carolina Cavalry- Joined in fall of 1861 as a promoted to 1st Lt. Resigned in Oct. 1862 to return to being a Baptist preacher.

3. James E. Harvey- Pvt. Co. A 54th North Carolina Infantry- Joined March of 1862, but was detailed to work in the lead mines of his home, Davidison County NC for the rest of the war.

4. John C. Wrenn- Co. B 48th North Carolina Infantry, joined in 1863, died in Richmond in June 1864

5. Bertus Dallas Chamblee- Co. C 24th North Carolina, joined in 1861, Wounded at Sharpsburg and discharged in Dec. 1862.

6. Albert Gillespie- Co. D Hampton's Legion Mounted Infantry, joined in April 1864, paroled at Appomattox.

I've found about 50 Grandfather's and uncles, almost all in North Carolina and South Carolina units, with heavy concentrations in the 2nd South Carolina Rifles, 18th South Carolina, 22nd South Carolina the Palmetto Sharpshooters, the 14th North Carolina Infantry, 48th North Carolina Infantry, and the 54th North Carolina Infantry. There are a few Unionist there too, mostly in the 3rd North Carolina Mounted Infantry (U.S.) and a few distant cousins in Illinois units.

Will MacDonald
WIG/TBM

ConfederateRose14
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Lots of divisiveness among my ancestors:

Direct ancestor-Reutilus Hariel-Co. G, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

Lee (cousins of Robert E. Lee):

Brothers:

Eli-Co. B, 7th MS Battalion Infantry, captured at Vicksburg

Johnathan-Co. B, 17th Battalion MS Cavalry

Thomas-Co. B, 17th Battalion MS Cavalry

Samuel-Co. I, 38th MS Cavalry, killed July 11, 1862, during operations around Vicksburg

Jesse Monroe-Co. B, 17th Battalion MS Cavalry

James-Co. D, 17th Battalion MS Cavalry, listed as a deserter

William J.-Co. B, 17th Battalion, MS Cavalry

****The following are first cousins to the Lees above:

Elijah-Co. F, 7th MS Infantry-killed in train crash, Alabama, August, 1863

Uriah-Co. G, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

Smith:

Brothers:

John Lampkin: Co. H, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)-died of small pox in New Orleans, January, 1865, unknown burial site.

Thomas: Sergeant, Co. G, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

Nimrod "Peter"-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

(They are buried in separate cemeteries. Their mother made it known she did not want to be buried near her Unionist son. She's buried near her Confederate son.)

****The following are first cousins to the Smiths listed above:

Reuben-Co. A, 3rd MS Infantry

Rufus-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

Sherrod-Co. B, 17th Battalion MS Cavalry

Lizana:

Brothers:

John-Co. F, 3rd MS Infantry, captured outside of Nashville, 1864, sent to Kentucky and then Camp Chase, died in a hospital in Vicksburg of bronchitis May, 1865

Ernest-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

Roselius-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry, listed as "dead" late 1862

Bounds:

Brothers:

William-Co. I, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

James-Co. I, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union), 6'3" with red hair and black eyes

Addison-Corporal, Co. D, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union), detached service to guard deserters to Fort Jefferson in the Tortugas, beginning in February, 1866, was there the same time as Dr. Samuel Mudd; also 6'3" like his brother

****The following are 1st cousins to the Bounds above

Brothers:

Richard-Co. K, 37th MS Infantry, wounded in North Mississippi, captured at Vicksburg, deserted and joined Co. D, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

John Clark-Co. K, 37th MS Infantry, on detached service so missed the whole Vicksburg experience, stayed loyal to the Confederacy, unlike his brother, until surrender in Alabama, 1865

****The following are 3rd cousins to the Bounds above

Brothers:

Gillam-Co. H, 3rd Battalion MS State Troops, listed as deserter in 1863, had three sons who fought in the 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union): Ellis, Co. G, died 1864, John Riley in Co. G, and his twin James Henry in Co. H

Nathaniel-Co. I, 38th MS Infantry, died in a hospital in Okolona, MS, 1862

Brothers:

George Washington-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry, discharged 1863

Solomon-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

Stephen-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

Woodward-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry, detailed as teamster

Daniel-Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry, deserted 1863 and joined Co. H, 1st New Orleans Infantry (Union)

Saucier:

Brothers:

John-Captain, Co. F, 3rd MS Infantry

Napoleon-Co. F, 3rd MS Infantry

Pierre-Lt., Co. H, 3rd MS Infantry

Victor-Co. F, 3rd MS Infantry, captured outside of Nashville, 1864, died of pneumonia while POW at Camp Chase. Grave "1/2 mile south of Camp Chase"

Pvt Schnapps
03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
I think my greatgrandfather was still moving freight over the hills of the Aargau. But there was a Charles Schaffner from Bern (right around the corner from home) who was at Camerone...

1 Yellowhammer
03-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Pvt. John A. Ross, 59th Alabama Infantry Co. B "Fitzpatrick Blues" Hilliard's Alabama Legion, Surrendered at Appomatox Courthouse

Pvt. Josiah Ross, 59th Alabama Infantry Co. B "Fitzpatrick Blues" Hilliard's Alabama Legion, Surrendered at Appomatox Courthouse

Pvt. Jeremiah Ross, 59th Alabama Infantry Co. B "Fitzpatrick Blues" Hilliard's Alabama Legion, Surrendered at Appomatox Courthouse

Walter P. Ross, Alabama Militia "Autauga Minute Men"

Pvt. Warren Kilpatrick, 29th Alabama Infantry Co. K, Wounded at Marietta, Ga. Died at home from Gang Green.

Pvt. Jason J. Kilpatrick, Clanton's Alabama Battery, Enlisted at age 15, surrendered at Citronelle, Al.

J.W. Hynes, Adams Alabama Reserves/Alabama Militia/Homeguard, Killed in Action at Selma, Alabama. Aged 60 years.

double_quick
05-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Pvt. Benjamin Spence, 21st VA Infantry, Co. G
Cpl. Alexander Hendrick, 30th NC Infantry, Co. B
Pvt. John Cabiness, 3rd VA Cavalry, Co. I

These are all my GGG grandfathers that I have found and confirmed, there are a few more pending more research.

VFD46
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
So far i have found

Pvt. William Palmer, 11th Pennsylvania Company G
Pvt. James Hunter, 69th Pennsylvania (Unknown Company)
Pvt. Jonathan M. Clawson, 11th Pennsylvania Reserves Company E
Corporal Joseph Palmer, 6th Alabama Cavalry Company I
Pvt. Albert Hunter, 5th Virginia Infantry Company L

BobSullivanPress
05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Great Grandfather: (Yes, great-grandfather.)

Issac Santmeyer, company D, 49th Virginia. Enlisted, 1861. Fought at Manassas, Seven Pines, Glendale, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Second Fredericksburg (Salem Church), Gettysburg.

Captured on the retreat from Gettysburg. Sent to Ft. Delaware, Ft. McHenry, and Point Lookout.

Fined $10 in the winter of 62-63 for being AWOL.

celtfiddler
05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
So far, no direct ancestors found that fought in the Civil War. Most were either too young or too old to fight.

I have found several that either fought or provided material support in the American Revolution.

Colonel Dave
05-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Great-Great-Great Uncle was General James Shackelford from Harlan County, Kentucky. Commanded the 23rd Kentucky, US and is credited with capturing Morgan-although he didn't.

tspencerva
05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Robert Preston Spencer was my great-great grandfather, and his son, William G. (Grenade) was my great-grandfather. I often wonder if Robert was injured during the war, as he died in 1866. If anyone has photos or portraits available of these family members, I would appreciate seeing them, as well as any other information--whether it be of a family or military nature. It wasn't until eleven years ago that I even knew their names. Thank you!

GAR
05-25-2010, 08:48 AM
My family records are sketchy at best. In my mom's family bible, printed in 1830, there is an intriguing entry that I've not been able to find any further information about:
S J Hatch died Sept. 23, 1863 at Gettysburg.
I would think it most likely that he died due to infection from wounds he received in July. My best guess is that he fought for the south, Arkansas or Tennessee possibly, as there was a previous entry of a Hatch that was "kilt by Jayhawkers". Also giving hints as to our loyalties, I'm Gary LEE Bradford, named somewhat after my maternal Grandfather, Gradon LEE Hatch.
If anyone comes across any additional information, I'd surely appreciate it.

MickCole
05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Robert Preston Spencer was my great-great grandfather, and his son, William G. (Grenade) was my great-grandfather. I often wonder if Robert was injured during the war, as he died in 1866. If anyone has photos or portraits available of these family members, I would appreciate seeing them, as well as any other information--whether it be of a family or military nature. It wasn't until eleven years ago that I even knew their names. Thank you!
Robert Preston Spencer was my 1st cousin, a few times removed. Here's some info.
SPENCER
Robert Preston Spencer (1st Cousin—son of Elizabeth (Bolton) Spencer, sister of gggg-grandmother Anne Bolton): Residence not listed; a 50 year-old Methodist Clergyman.
Enlisted on 10/3/1862 at Lee, VA as a Private.
On 10/3/1862 he mustered into "H" Co. VA 25th Cavalry
(date and method of discharge not given)
He was listed as:
* AWOL 8/5/1864 (place not stated) (Serving in reserves)
(Father of William G Spencer)
Residence Lee County VA;
He also had service in:
"K" Co. VA 64th Infantry
Enlisted as a 3rd Lieut (date unknown).
He was listed as:
* Paroled 4/28/1865 Cumberland Gap, KY
Promotions:
* Chaplain (Probably served as chaplain)
Other Information:
born 7/9/1810 in Scott County, VA
died 9/28/1866 in Lee County, VA
(Oldest member of the 64th VA Inf.)

James F. Spencer (2d Cousin—son of Robert P. Spencer): On 9/30/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. VA 21st Inf Battn He died of wounds on 3/17/1862 at Pound Gap Station, VA He was listed as:
* Wounded 3/16/1862 Pound Gap Station, VA (Probable date and place of wounding)

William G. Spencer (2d Cousin—son of Robert P. Spencer):
Residence not listed; a 16 year-old Student.

Enlisted on 8/19/1862 at Lee, VA as a Private.

On 8/19/1862 he mustered into "B" Co. VA 25th Cavalry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* Sick 2/28/1863 (place not stated)
* Detailed 10/25/1863 (place not stated) (Detailed as Courier)
* Detailed 10/3/1864 (place not stated) (Detailed for horse for 28 days)
* AWOL 11/1/1864 (place not stated)
* Paroled 4/29/1865 (place not stated)

Other Information:
born in Scott, VA

I hope this helps.

Mick Cole

SteveTheReb52
05-27-2010, 07:37 AM
I have 3 relatives that fought in the War Between the States.

My GGGrandfather was William Malone. He was a Pvt. in Co. H 26th North Carloina Infantry. Survived the war and surrendered at Petersburg Va.

He had 2 Brothers in the same unit.

Aaron Malone Pvt. survived the war and surrendered at Appamattox
Daniel Malone Pvt. who was killed in McPhersons Woods in Gettysburg July 1st. 1863.

2ndMassTom
05-28-2010, 12:26 AM
G-G Grandfather, Hiram A. Paine, Corporal, H company, 10th Michigan Cavalry

Pvt1stSC
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Four years ago I joined a unit portraying the 1st South Carolina, Gregg's Brigade under A.P. Hill. Over the next winter I looked for any ancestors that may have been in the war. I knew that 3 of 4 grandparents were either fresh off the boat from Norway or first generation Nowegian-Americans, but a little research proved valuable on that last line...Pvt. Elon Galusha Gibbs served with the 32nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

General Hill had just been assigned to Stonewall Jackson and Harpers Ferry soon fell. As Jackson marched toward Sharpsburg, Hill was left behind to parole the captured Union regiments including the 32nd Ohio. So it turns out I'm portraying a Confederate soldier that could have captured my Great-great Grandfather.

It makes a great story for people coming through camp!

marktaylor
06-29-2010, 07:48 AM
GAR,
Have you tried looking in the CW Soldiers and Sailors System (www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/)? I searched 'S Hatch' and came back with 63 results. It may be a starting point for you. Good luck.
Mark

daveproc26
06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Pvt. Olney Inman 15th US Infantry Co. G
Pvt. Thomas Stanton Hoxsie 15th US Infantry Co. G
Pvt. Orrin Bennett 141st Pa
Pvt. James Tefft Oatley 2nd RI Co. E

bobbyjoe49
07-01-2010, 12:26 AM
howdy guys well i am new to all this.but i did come up with a ancestor i found out about him. i am still searching for others i am sure he was related to others in his own time in around 1850's-1860's prior to the civil war.so for now my ancestor is pvt.archibald harris III he served with the 43rd north carolina regiment the infantry company K from he was from anson county north carolina, and he mustered at camp mangum near raleigh NC on
may 15th 1862 i am currently a re-enactor myself and i guess its in me all my families were farmers military since the revolutionary war.i love this history and love everything i learn from,if anyone knows of anyone from that 43rd north carolina regiment infantry of company K let me know so i can make contact with them. thanks and take care..

skamikaze
07-01-2010, 08:07 AM
bobbyjoe,

The Liberty Rifles will be doing the march of the 43rd NC this weekend. It will be a good chance to honor you ancestor without shelling out a ton of cash at the Big Sham Event.

you can contact them here: www.libertyrifles.org

bobbyjoe49
07-01-2010, 10:08 AM
where will it be at do you have any ideas? that would be good as i have papers and my great great grandfathers confederate service card record (copy) of it. so if you know where it might be at. i can sure look into this and contact them as soon as i can thanks for that info.

Linda Trent
07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
My ancestors all served in Ohio U.S. regiments, some in more than one.

My great grandfather (that's correct, my great grandfather), William G. Tope, enlisted in the 117th OVI in August 1862, which was changed over to the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery the following May. He served the war mostly in batteries, and guarding railroad lines in Kentucky and Tennessee, and was discharged in June 1865.

My 2nd great grandfather Charles Rice served in Company I of the 53rd Reg't OVI. He got the Tennessee Trots on the way to Shiloh and sat out the battle, and was pretty much on sick leave till he was discharged on August 4, 1863.

My 2nd great grandfather George W. Tope, followed the orders given by Governor Tod in September of 1862 to defend the southern borders of Ohio and mustered in with the local guys, he was 45 years old at the time. Those who heeded this call became known as "Squirrel Hunters." All Squirrel Hunters that I've seen appear to have been discharged on June 5, 1863 (OH Adj't General's Roster) This was the only service he saw.

My 2nd great grandfathers George F. Hixon and George W. Eachus were both Squirrel Hunters as well, but both went on to join regiments following their days as Squirrel Hunters.

In 1864, the same George F. Hixon enlisted as a corporal in the Ohio National Guard (Co. F. 141st Reg't, 100 days). So he had service as both Squirrel Hunter and ONG (really kind of the same thing).

George W. Eachus was a man who apparently didn't want to commit to long term obligations, but all told he served 1 yr 8 mon. First as a Squirrel Hunter and then as a member of Co. F. 141st ONG from June 4, 1864-September 3, 1864. Then he enlisted in Co. C of the 194th OVI (first sergeant) from February 14, 1865-October 24, 1865 (date on discharge).

My maternal side was wealthy enough to own a car manufacturing business in Dayton, and when the war broke out they started producing troop carriers. I only had one gg grandfather, on my maternal side, old enough to be in the war, and he was excused to build carriers -- that was his service.:p

Though my 3rd great granduncle David MacClement (maternal) wanted to serve in the army. Twice his father stopped him from enlisting, and finally when he turned of age he was able to successfully join up and serve with the 131st OVI -- they say, third times the charm. :cool:

Of course I have lots of uncles and cousins in the Union army as well, so far not a single CS relative, so it is difficult to portray a Southerner. :rolleyes:

Ironically, all my ancestors were very tall.

W.G. Tope 5' 8" tall
G.F. Hixon was 6' tall
G.W. Eachus was 6' 1/2"
Joseph Eachus (G.W's brother) was 6'2"

Linda

DustinOliver
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
I have a 3-great grandfather who fought for the CSA, along with his three brothers. Only one of them survived the war. William P. Fenn, by 3-great grandfather, served with Philip's Legion, Infantry Division, Company C, was killed in action at the Battle of Knoxville, and is buried as an unknown in Bethel Cemetery, Knoxville. Thomas J. Fenn was a member of the Georgia State Line, and died of pneumonia caught in the trenches outside Atlanta. He was buried as an unknown near The Rock, Georgia. George W. Fenn was also a member of Philip's Legion, Infantry Division, and died of dysentery in a hospital in Richmond, Virginia. He is buried at Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond. The fourth brother, Newton J. Fenn, also served with Philip's Legion, Infantry Division, and survived the war.

Another 3-great grandfather, Elijah J. West, served in Company B, 5th Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry.

wwhitby
07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
All of my CW ancestors are uncles or cousins. My GGGG Uncles were:

Charles W. Price – Sergeant, Company H, 72nd Illinois Infantry
Missing in action after the Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864.

James M. Price – 1st Sergeant, Company G, 26th Michigan Infantry
Discharged due to disability on November 28, 1863

Harvey Potter, 1st Lieutenant, Company H / F, 105th Illinois Infantry
Wounded at the Battle of Resaca by a shell fragment.

Simon Price – 7th Corporal, Company B, 2nd Iowa Cavalry. Took part in Grierson's Raid.

William O. Price – 1st Sergeant, Company K, 23rd Iowa Infantry

The cousins were:

Sloan Davis Martin – 1st Lieutenant, Company H, 87th Indiana Infantry
Killed in action while leading his company at the Battle of Chickamauga, September 19, 1863

Simon P. Woolston – Sergeant, Company H, 13th Iowa Infantry. PoW July 22, 1864 near Atlanta. Died at Andersonville, Georgia, September 8, 1864.

emmitt
07-14-2010, 09:49 AM
I like this game can I play? These are 3x great grandfathers with one 4x great grandfather that served. Being originally from Texas I find it a bit disconcerting that I have as many Yankees in the woodpile as I do. :)

Confederate
Riddle Daniel Baker
1st Lt., Co A, 15th TN Inf

George Washington Kennedy
Pvt, Co G, 1st TX

Isaac Holmes Thacker
Pvt, Co E, 21st GA

Union
William H Leonard (From Texas no less!)
Sgt, Co G, 3rd US Cavalry Regt

Rufus M Henderson
1st Sgt, Co F, 9th TN Cavalry

Joshua O Marks
Cpl, Co A, 88th IL

Martin Vanburen Prince (Son)
Co D, 137th IN

Thomas Godfrey Prince (Father)
Co K, 67th IN (transferred to 24th IN)

My wife's great great great grandfather was Pvt William Pawson who served with the 82nd NY (formerly the 2nd NYSV) and later with the 59th NY with two of his brothers from the begining to the end of the war. We are very fortunate that she also has the majority of letters he sent home including a few written right after Antietam from the battlefield.

Chip
07-23-2010, 11:12 PM
John Peters 33rd Missouri Infantry.
Wounded at The Battle of Nashville.

I was lucky enough to find his enlistment papers, pay records, and medical discharge papers at the National Archives.

I attached a picture of him with his GAR group.
2nd row, Center, white chin beard.

shooter13
07-24-2010, 12:17 AM
My great,great,great, grandfather was Chapman Elswick. He served with the 16th Virginia Cav. CSA, from Russell County Virginia. I found he was wounded at Jeffersonville, Virginia and recieved a pension for the wound. My wife's great,great,great grandfather was their lieutenant, he was a Blankenship.

VA Soldier
07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
While I am still a little sketchy on some of the details, following my maternal line, there was the confederate side , my GGG grandfather and his brothers all of Carroll County Virginia, all of the 29th Va Infantry

GGG Grandfather,
James L. Edwards

Uncles
William Edwards
Jarvis Edwards - Wounded Drewy's Bluff - died at Hosp. in Richmond
Greenberry Edwards
John Edwards

Following my paternal line I find one Union Soldier, George Jackson, my GG Grandfather - drafted in 1863 from Sullivan County PA - Have been unable to locate the unit that he was assigned to, any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

D.A. Jackson

Poor Private
07-26-2010, 06:28 AM
My paternal side were still in Germany running part of the country a baroncy.
While the 2 sides of my maternal heritage one was a wealthy Irishman owning 5 sawmiles, and the other was walking the "Trail of Tears".

Radar
07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Edgar Rosier 12th WVVI Union
Alpheus Haymond 31st Virginia Confed

Tkessen
07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Sgt. James Coen, 61st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company G. Wounded in the hand/ arm on Culp's Hill at Gettysgurg.

Tkessen

WWIIREBEL
07-30-2010, 03:58 PM
My ancestors are as follows:
Col. Joshua T Owens 24th PVI out of Philadelphia,Pa.(early war unit)

Pvt.William Y Owens (same regt.above)

They had a cousin or uncle whom was in charge of the Navy Yard there at the time ,but as i type this, the information is at another location.I can post it when i get my hands on it this week.

Also i have evidence of an ancestor from Kentucky, but im unsure as to which side he fought for.(still researching)

Traveler1863
08-02-2010, 01:16 PM
GGG Grandfathers:

PVT William B. Pruitt - Co B, 36th NCT (2d Artillary) 1862-1865
PVT Henry Gaston Williamson - Co C, 63d NCT (5th NC CAV) 1862-1865

PVT Henry R. Morrey - Co B, 6th OVI 1861-1864

Gordon Morey

GQFDFireman44
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Great Great 2nd Cousin:

Pvt. J. Y. Weddington
Age 22 when enlisted in 1864
County of residance: Mecklenburg NC
Enlisted at Camp Stokes N.C
37th North Carolina Co. C
Fought at Petersburg / Captured
Sent to Point Lookout
Parolled after taking the oath
Retrned home - continued as farmer
Married had 2 kids
Died in 1914 of old age
Buried: Elmwood Cemetary, Charlotte NC

His younger brother James also served in the 2nd North Carolina Jr. Reserves

These are the only 2 that I have confirmed and total information

Sean

bobbyjoe49
12-12-2010, 03:53 PM
hey thanks i did found the website and am gonna contact them currently i am with another unit and have been busy with reenacting lately but this past weekend rained out at goldsboro nc for the 148th anniversary was canceled due to the weather to much rain all morning long so but i wanted to tell you thank you for letting me know thier website to contact them merry christmas

mike51tenn
12-12-2010, 07:36 PM
A few quick ones:

Pvt. Francis Marion Agee
22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
Killed at the Battle of Shiloh April 6, 1862

Pvt. John Dean Agee
22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
Left his unit July 1862, had enough after his brother was killed

Capt. Alexander R. Dillehay
55th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (McKoin's)

Pvt. William Henry Pinkley
18th Regiment Texas Volunteers

Union, but I have to mention him:

Lt. Col. William Jackson Cleveland
8th Tennessee Mounted Infantry

SteveTheReb52
12-15-2010, 06:13 PM
I have 3 that I know of.
My great Great Grandfather was William Malone from Moore County N.C. He enlisted in 1861 and surrendered at Petersburg in 1865.
His brother Daniel. Again enlisted the same time in '61. Died at McPhersons Farm, July 1st. 1863.
His brother Aaron. Aaron again in '61. Wounded at Malvern Hill, captured in Gettysburg during the Pickett-Pettigrew Charge, later swapped, surrendered at Appomatix in '65.
Proud of all of them!

Quickstep
12-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I have 3 that I know of.
My great Great Grandfather was William Malone from Moore County N.C. He enlisted in 1861 and surrendered at Petersburg in 1865.
His brother Daniel. Again enlisted the same time in '61. Died at McPhersons Farm, July 1st. 1863.
His brother Aaron. Aaron again in '61. Wounded at Malvern Hill, captured in Gettysburg during the Pickett-Pettigrew Charge, later swapped, surrendered at Appomatix in '65.
Proud of all of them!

Recently my wife, who hails from Toronto, Canada, was doing some family research and discovered that her GGGrandfather had a brother who left home to join the Union army. After the war, he headed West to seek adventure, and evidently found some--when he died of old age, he had 5 bullets lodged in various parts of his body. Don't know how many were from the war and how many from other scrapes, but he sounds like quite a character. We're trying to find out more about him. There are only 12 Union soldiers with his last name in the database, but not much info. on any of them.

Missouri Mule
12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
GGGrandfather Daniel N. Woodward, Knox County Missouri, served in the 50th Enrolled Missouri Militia. Can't determine for sure but may have served in an early war MO unit in NE Missouri as well.

The Rambling Irishman
12-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Well, I know of about 15 ancestors from one grandmother's side of the family. All served in CS Tennessee infantry or cavalry regiments. 27th Tenn Inf, 31st Tenn Inf, 42nd Tenn Inf, and 48th Tenn Inf. 7th and 10th Tenn Cavs.

My wife had around 30 ancestors from one grandmother that we know about. All CS from Mississippi and Alabama infantry and cavalry regiments.

This leaves us both with 6 other grandparents that no one has done research into their family histories.

VaTrooper
12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
William Washington Busick- 3rd Va Cav Co C
Henry Pritchett Tucker- Branders Co, Letchers Battery, Richmond Artillery
John Lewis Layton- 7th Va Inf Co A

All GGG-Grandfathers on my mothers side. Henry had 3 brothers in the same unit as well.

SgtTodd
12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Joseph Jackson Todd, aged 42 in 1861
Sgt, Co G, 10th South Carolina Infantry
http://mainecav.org/photos/josjtodd.jpg
He had two sons that died in the war that I haven't traced yet.

Shandaygato
12-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Here are a few of mine.......all of them were Confederate, at the time my family lived in Avoylles Parish (we have parishes in Louisiana rather than counties). Not much info on them, all of them would have only spoken French, and were in companies with officers who also spoke French. I do know that Zenon Mayeux was captured after the Siege of Port Hudson, La and released after the end of the war. He was lucky enought to be at a prison camp in North Louisiana, so he was able to make his way home to Central Louisiana.

And I am a member of the modern day Boone's Battery, based in Baton Rouge, LA

Oge Dufour (g-g-g grandfather
Infantry
18th Regiment Consolidated & Yellow Jacket Battalion
Company E

Dufour, Fulgence (brother of above)
Infantry
Johnson's Battalion
18th Regiment
Co I

Dufour, Marcelin (cousin of above two)
Artillery
18th Regiment Boone's Battery

Dufour, Prudent
Artillery
18th Regiment Boone's Battery

Mayeux, Zenon g-g-g-grandfather on my mother's side
Dubrecq's Calvary
Company C

Mayeux, Alfred (brother of above)
Calvary
Hay's Brigade and 3rd Regiment Partisan Rangers

Faye Dufour

Dan88thNY
12-17-2010, 07:45 PM
My gg grandfather, Thomas Fulton, mustered into the 103rd PVI at the age of 42.
He re-enlisted as a Veteran Volunteer at Plymouth, NC. He was captured at Plymouth and died at Andersonville.

Dan

musketbal
12-18-2010, 01:48 AM
Confederate....Thomas McCready, 1st Bn,Maryland Inf. Co. D (also to become 2nd Maryland), Sgt.

John McCready, 1st Bn., Maryland Inf. Co. D (also to become 2nd Maryland), Pvt.

George Hamilton Coons, 4th Virginia Cavalry, Co. D (known as the Little Fork Rangers) Pvt.

Federal......Benjamin Franklin McCready, 1st Maryland Eastern Shore Inf., Co. K, Sgt. died April 2nd, 1862 on the Eastern Shore of Virginia (died of "brain fever" or what is known today as malaria.

Henry Calhoon Conner, 1st Maryland Eastern Shore Inf., Co. K, Pvt. Arrested by provost marshal after Battle of Gettysburg. Two thirds of Company K refused to leave the Eastern Shore of Maryland on July 1st or 2nd to participate in that battle. Imprisoned at Fort McHenry until fines paid.

TKParrott
12-18-2010, 06:34 AM
im a great nephew a few times removed from a fellow named Jacob Wilson Parrott from Co. K 33rd OVI.

maybe some of you have heard of him?

Quickstep
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Let's talk about our ancestors.

An amusing ancedote about sharing the histories of Civil War ancestors appeared in the Washington Post Magazine today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/23/AR2010122303573.html

southkyreb
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Jeremiah Barker 5th KY. Vol. Inf. CSA
Francis Marion Barker 34 TN. Inf. (Burrough's Battery)
James K. Polk Barker 64th VA.
James M. Williamson 34th TN. Inf.
Ben Ausmus 34th TN.

Capt Bill Ausmus 7th TN. U.S.

Proud of them all

ChrisOwens
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
GGG GF- Nathan R. Hall 2nd Lt. 51st Va. Inf. Co H.
(Captured in 63' spent the rest of the war in Ft. Delaware)

His little brother- Hardin Hall Pvt. 51st. Va. Co. H.
(Wounded at New Market Va. '64)

GGG GF- Stephen D. Rakes. Pvt. 50th Va. Inf. Co. D

Rakes grandaughter and Nathan's grandson meet at the turn of the century and became husband and wife. The daughter was Laura Addie Belle Rakes. She lived to be 106 and died in 2001. I had the honor and pleasure to hear many stories about both Nathan and Stephen. Nathan danced with her at her wedding in 1909.

decajun4513
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure of the name, I have it written down somewhere.

But my G-G-G-G Grandfather was with the 30th Alabama Infantry at the beginning of the war. Killed at Vicksburg.

GaWildcat
10-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Only confirmed ancestor is Pvt Joshua Oliver, USA, who was all over the place, Serving 3 months with the 86th Ohio infantry, Then serving with Co I, 2nd Ohio Heavy Artillery, and after mustering out in 1864, enlisted in the 2nd Minnesota Cavalry.

I believe that I had a few relatives, possibly distant cousins in Co. B, 35th Tennessee Infantry, CSA, but this is not confirmed at this time as I have hit something of a stonewall in tracing it back.

Ok, further research have had a few more pop out of the wood work.. Pvt Christian Simonson, Co E, 15th Wisconsin Infantry, Private William Laughlin Argo, Co B, 19th and 20th Consolidated Tennsessee Cavalry (Biffle's 9th Tennessee Cavalry), Pvt Thomas Oliver, Co. K, 183rd Ohio Infantry. Thomas as captured Nov 30, 1864 in his first battle at Franklin. He spent time at Cahaba and Andersonville, and was declared exchanged April 1, 1865 and was sent to NOLA, where he caught a boat home to Ohio. The river boat he took home? The Sultana his remains were either never recovered or never identified.

tater
10-12-2013, 02:36 PM
1SG Josiah W. Byrd- Co. C, 26th North Carolina Infantry Enlisted 1861, was medically discharged due to his age.

PVT Edward Washington Byrd- Co. D, 9th Mississippi Cavalry

PVT Charles B. Byrd- Co. B, 3rd Mississippi Infantry "The Sunflower Dispersers"

PVT Pierre 'Peter" Simon Quave- Co. A 3rd Mississippi Infantry "The Live Oak Rifles" Pierre owned a General Store in Gautier, MS, which was shut down for his enlistment in the war. Pierre was killed in Mobile, AL in 1862

PVT Usant "Laz" Quave- Co. A 3rd Mississippi Infantry "The Live Oak Rifles". Was wounded in 1863, and was marked as both Dead and having Deserted.

That's who I know of for sure, as of yet, though there is still much work to be done.

7tharkinf
10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a GGG grandfather Abner Morrison who fought with the 43rd Mississippi inf. and a GGG uncle Pervis H. Jordan who fought for the 34th Mississippi Inf. and he was also at Vicksburg and both are now buried in a local cemetery next to each other in my home town.

sigman
10-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Phillip Korndaffer, 71st PA. Inf. Wounded at Gettysburg.

SackCoat
10-14-2013, 09:19 PM
On my fathers side of the family, my great,great Grandfather disappeared, (records incomplete), and assumed deceased right before the Civil War.

On my Mother's side, Cagle, my great, great, Grandfather is listed as a member of an Alabama "Senior Reserve Corp" (He was in his mid-50s)

A.J. Hamler
10-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I've only discovered my CW lineage in the last year. Glad to see that this thread popped up to the top. Very interesting!

I've had very little luck fining anything at all on my mom's side of the family. I've found a number of VW ancestors on my dad's side, however, through my paternal grandmother’s family. On her father’s side was 1st Lt. Lemuel Powell served in the 99th Indiana Infantry, Co. I. Other than his name and rank, I can't find much other info.

On her mother’s side is my GG grandfather Major James R. Nation, who enlisted in the 8th Indiana Infantry, Co A, at the outset of the war and rose to the rank of Sgt. Then, he later joined the 9th Indiana Cavalry, Co G, as a Captain. His final rank was Major. James was from a large family of nine children, and went to war with three of his brothers (who would all be GGG uncles) – Enoch, David and Seth, all of whom where also officers in the 9th Indiana Cav. Here's what GG grandpa James looked like:

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr355/ajhamler/JamesNation-youngampold-lores.jpg

James, David and Seth came home fine, but brother Enoch unfortunately hitched a ride home after the war ended on the steamship Sultana in April 1865. If you know your history, you know how that voyage turned out. Brother David, meanwhile, married the somewhat eccentric Carrie A. Gloyd. Once her hobby of smashing saloons made her famous, my GGG aunt kept her new husband's last name (even though she later deserted him) but changed her first name to "Carry" because she liked the ring of "Carry A. Nation" to describe her passion. Finding out that my GGG aunt was Carry Nation was cause for celebration with a cold beer...

A.J.

ndn boy
10-19-2013, 02:10 PM
G-G-Grandfather Samuel Hill 1st seminole mounted vol. Indian Territory!

Tarheel57
10-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Ones I know of:

J.W. Brock 57th NC, captured at Gettysburg, died at Point Lookout
H.H. Hanes 4th NC, wounded at Seven Pines.
Levi Lard (Laird) 42nd NC
George Lard (Laird) 42nd NC, killed at Petersburg
Horatio Atham 10th VA Cav and 4th NC Cav
James Brock 10th VA cav
Green Berry Harding 28th NC, wounded at Gettysburg and at Gravel Hill, VA.

terry.dull
10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Mine were all my Great-Great Uncles (bold) and their cousins, all from PA:

142nd PVI
Dull, Samuel - Regt Sgt Maj
Dull, Daniel - 1st Lt Co. H
Dull, Romanus - Sgt Co. H - Died POW Near Richmond VA
Dull, Walter - Pvt Co. H
Dull, George - Pvt Co. H

Their names are on the PA Monument in Gettysburg.

6th PA Heavy Artillery
Dull, Uriah Pvt
Dull, Jacob Pvt
Dull, William Pvt

Pvt. Spanky
11-13-2013, 11:54 AM
A (Andrew) Jackson Grizzard

Andrew Jackson Grizzard enlisted 09/23/1862 as a private in Company A 48th Infantry of GA. He surrendered 04/09/1865 along side Gen Robert E. Lee at Appamatox, VA.

civwarhistory
11-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Robert Alexander Montgomery, my Great-great-great grandfather, served from late 1861-1862 in Co. G, 103rd Pennsylvania Infantry, being medically discharged for chronic bronchitis. He later served for 100 days in the 1st Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia (100 day unit) in Co. B (according to his pension).

My other Great-great-great grandfather Louis Napoleon Bissonett served in the 1st Minnesota Mounted Rangers in 1862-63 in Co. I before being discharged for medical reasons. I am proud of both of them and all my ancestors and relatives who have served our nation.