PDA

View Full Version : Almost Forgot.....

sbl
03-19-2006, 08:14 AM
"Remember the Alamo!"

http://www.wheelerplantation.org/images/livhsty3_72.jpg

MStuart
03-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Geeeeeeeeeeeezzz!! Isn't that the guy from "Zorro"?

Mark

Frenchie_2006
03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Ai, carumba! Eso es un hombre grande!

Kimmel
03-19-2006, 11:08 PM
ha ha ha... si si, eso hombre es muy grande verdadera..... :D

MStuart
03-20-2006, 12:04 AM
You'd think that for a guy who had two years of Spanish I in high school I'd be able to understand more than "muy grande" and "hombre grande".

Enough is enough!! Speak English!!!!!!!

Mark

Who, according to one high school teacher, had "potential"......
But is now griping about guys who "habla Espanol" on a civil war forum

Frenchie_2006
03-20-2006, 09:11 AM
:lol: Vous n'êtes pas seul, je ne peux pas rappeler la plupart du latin j'ai parlé comme un enfant de choeur.

MStuart
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
"Tish!!........You spoke French!!" - Gomez Addams

Mark

Sgt_Pepper
03-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Oy, vey, what a bunch of mishigas is this! Genuk, already. You shlemilen should stop all this tumul and gey arben.

Kimmel
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Ok....you lost me with the French.. :D

Frenchie_2006
03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Oy, vey, what a bunch of mishigas is this! Genuk, already. You shlemilen should stop all this tumul and gey arben.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew there was a sense of humor in there somewhere, Sarge, I just didn't expect a Yiddish tummeler 8).

A lady once told me that Bugs Bunny was just a Yiddish comic in a rabbit suit; it was one of those "well, of course!" moments.

Frenchie_2006
03-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Ok....you lost me with the French.. :D

I said, 'You're not alone, I can't remember most of the Latin I spoke as an altar boy." For that matter, to be honest, I can't remember most of the Québecois French I spoke about the same time - I need to look up anything more than a few stock phrases. Forget the 500+ verbs, never did get even a small fraction of them right.

Kimmel
03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
UGH... verbs... I'm taking Spainsh..... There are way to many endings....

jthlmnn
03-21-2006, 10:48 PM
For Frenchie, a little refresher:

Introibo ad altare Dei,
Ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam

Suscipiat, Domine, sacrificium de munibus tuis ad laudam et gloriam in nomine sui, ad utiltatque nostram suam.

(Yes, this is from memory, whether I like it or not) [/i]

MStuart
03-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Frenchie:

I think he's talkin about yer mama!!!!!!!

Mark

Frenchie_2006
03-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, beatae Mariae semper virgini, beato Michaeli archangelo, beato Joanni Baptistae, sanctis Apostolis Petro et Paulo, omnibus Sanctis, et tibi, Pater, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, et opere: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper virginem, beatum Michaelem archangelum, beatum Joannem Baptistam, sanctos Apostolos Petrum et Paulum, omnes Sanctos, et te, Pater, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.

I said that a lot :twisted: but I had to look it up to get it all right. Man, that was back in the day...

jthlmnn
03-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Yes, that was back in the day. That was also when I first learned the two parts of a command. When I first began altar serving (age eight), I naturally didn't have all the Latin memorized. My partner (my older brother) told me to just mumble and keep an eye on him. When we got to the end, he'd raise his head a bit and stretch out an "a-a-a-a-a". When he brought his head down, we'd add the "men." It worked fine and got me by until the Latin was memorized. (He also came up with the idea of practicing the movements in front of our bunk beds.)

Semper ubi sub ubi

Pete K
03-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Boy you guys had it easy , only learning to be an altar boy in Latin, try being Greek Orthodox and doing a weekly two hour litergy in Byzantine Greek and English. My sons are Altar serveres in the Catholic church and complain about fouty-five minute masses, Well, we had to go to church up hill, both ways , in the snow in August, with no shoes, blah, blah, blah.....

Frenchie_2006
03-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, we had to go to church up hill, both ways , in the snow in August, with no shoes, blah, blah, blah.....

:D ... while fightin' off th' Injuns th' whole time... :D

MDRebCAv
03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Remember it? I never could LEARN it...at least not the entire Confeteor! I do remember, however, while being an altar boy at Saint Wenceslaus Church, being assembled with all the other altar boys and being forced to studt the Confeteor.....I still don't know WHAT I mispronounced...but Brother Ulrich appeared next to me and gave me the biggest b***h slap I ever got!

Funny how fondly we can recall even those events as we get older...:-)

bulletsponge
03-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Pretty cool - I didn't know "child of the choir" translated into "altar boy"

bulletsponge
03-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Ay caramba! I'm glad my altar boy career was post Vatican II.