PDA

View Full Version : Tin Belt Buckles

easttnfed
01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Guys,

Tinned sheet Iron retangular folded belt plates have received little attention in our reenacting hobby. Presumed to be mainly for eastern theater troops, these buckles have been found in areas such as Fredericksburg, Malvern Hill and Longbridge Road, Virginia. You now have the oppurtunity to to own a reproduction of these plates.

These reproductions are made to the dimensions as their original counterparts. Their construction is also like the originals; die stamped with folded edges and an inner raised border for added support. The hooks on these reproductions are made from folded tin and soldered to the back using lead solder.

Price for each buckle is $25 each. Please send an email for a picture of reproduction and original. There are 7 buckles currently available.

VaTrooper
01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Email sent.

easttnfed
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Guys:

I hope these show up good enough. Here are the reproduction plates along with the original that they were copied from. The dimensions of both original and reproduction are 51x82 mm.

Jim Mayo
02-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Just for info, these plates are shown in one of Stanley Phillips Excavated Aritfacts books. I believe the three in the books were dug from a Mississippi camp.

easttnfed
02-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Jim,

Thank you for your information. The plates that I copied were from the Virginia area. I got my information from Lon W. Keim's book Confederate General Service Accoutrement Plates (pages 94-100). It was interesting to find out that there are more of them in other areas than just in Virginia. Thanks again for the information.

Crabby
02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Do you have pictures of the reverse side of the buckles?

Crabby

easttnfed
02-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Crabby,

The picture titled Buckle1 is the reverse side of the buckle. I know it isn't the best picture that I have taken of anything, but it does show somewhat of the fold over edges and the folded hook. I'll try to get a clearer picture up later today.

easttnfed
02-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Guys,

Here is a much closer and clearer shot of the reverse side of the buckle. With the purchase of each buckle you also get a small packet that comes with it with information about this type of buckle and shows other examples of buckles similar to this one.

jgr1974
02-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Awesome awesome awesome!!!!

I recently received a copy of Keim's book, they are in there! I have been trying to amass a collection "peculiar buckles. My interest is frame types, but I thought about trying to make one of these as well. Well, now I don't have to!!! If there is still one left, I want one!

Jeremy

easttnfed
02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Jeremy,

I sent you a PM.

easttnfed
02-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Guys,

All of my second run buckles are sold out, however I do have 4 of my first run buckles available. The only thing that is wrong with these buckles is the fact that the soldering of the back of these are not like the original. These were made when I was trying to get the hang of things during the manufactoring process. The fronts are still as good as the second run of buckles. If anyone is interested in these, the price for these are $15.00

For those that ordered the second run, I appreciate your interest in these buckles. I will be making more of these, so don't worry that you missed out on anything.

easttnfed
02-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I need for those that were sending money for the buckles to contact me asap. Nothing is wrong, I just need to verify a few things to make sure my records are correct before the buckles are shipped. I don't want them to be shipped to the wrong place.

easttnfed
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Guys:

I am now in the production process of the 3rd run of tin buckles. I currently have 8 put together and ready to ship right now. Eight more are being put together right now and will be finished after I make a run to the local hardware store for more soldering supplies.

easttnfed
02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I now have a good stock of these made up and ready to sell.

easttnfed
03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm doing this to bump the thread. I still have several of these in stock.

jgr1974
03-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Do not pass these buckles up!!! These ae really nice, and well worth the price! These look identical to the ones in Lon Keim's book!

Brownlow
03-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Jermy,

You think I might get one of those buckles??

easttnfed
03-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Greg,

If your interested drop me a PM and I'll get all your information and all.

John Legg
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
PM sent.

Thanks,

John

easttnfed
03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Guys:

I have currently 7 of these plates still available in my shop with four more in Cedar Creek Supply Depots shop. If you are interested, please feel free to contact me. I'm not sure how much longer these will remain available. Again, the price on these 3rd run of plates is $25